Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ExWhiteWolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but this is my first post. I don't even know what that Prefix is for either. Not sure if you can move threads here, but please do if this is in the wrong section.

So I keep reading that Mac isn't for gaming and what not (knew that already). However, I was already planning that I was going to get Windows on my Mac anyway to play games. Which then led me read that BootCamp or Parallels Desktop are good ways to go to run Windows. However, I later read that the higher and newer games would not run as great or not run at all due to the fact that we can't replace the graphic cards and what not on Macs. The articles that I read also said that you would basically have to replace the computer after about 2 years to get the higher end games. Which led me to wonder if the Mac I'm going to get is good for the types of games I play.

This is just a small list of games I play right now that either don't lag or lag very little:

Elsword (lags on occasions)
GrandChase (lags on occasions)
MicroVolts (lags when I enter match)
TalesRunner (No lag)
Wizards 101 (Lags once in a blue moon)
Pirates 101 (hasn't lag yet)

My Windows computer isn't great (I don't even know its specs) but I want to try games like:

Uncharted Waters
Elder Scrolls
Minecraft (I tried with my current computer and it would lag like crazy)
Total War
StarCraft
Call of Duty (Maybe)
Diablo 3

Games that are a bit more on the heavy side on graphics

These are the specs of Mac I'm going to get. (Straight off my cart)

2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
with 2GB GDDR5 memory

So my questions are:

Are these specs good for the types of games I want to play later?

Are these specs good for my current games?

Should I get Bootcamp or Parallels Desktop to run Windows?

Thank you for the time you spent to read this post, and thank you for your time to led my a hand.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
with 2GB GDDR5 memory

So my questions are:

Are these specs good for the types of games I want to play later?
Yes. I have the previous year's model of the Retina MBP with only the GT 650M and the previous 2.6 GHz i7 model and can run games like Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider 2013 at 1440x900 (due to the way resolutions are handled usually the highest resolution games recognise) with high or even very high settings and get usually solid 30 fps or more. There are a couple of games that run not that good, but those are mostly not very well optimised ports by inexperienced Mac developers (e.g. Painkiller HD).

You will be pretty much fine.

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
Hi,

Your MacBook Pro will be fine to run any modern game, I would also suggest you stay away from OSX if you are planning to game on it. Use bootcamp to partition the storage and install Windows on that.

Parallels will be sharing your processing power and ram across both OS's so you wouldn't be using the MacBook to its full potential.

I have a 2013 maxxed Retina MacBook Pro and it runs most games with ease. The only problem you will always encounter is heat, these machines when running in bootcamp are VERY hot, almost too hot to touch. If it does start warming up elevate the macbook and create a "bridge" of sort to increase airflow.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I agree you should be able to play any modern game adequately. I have a 2011 MBP see signature and have played a wide assortment of AAA games without issue. Currently play World of Tanks at low settings (which looks great) at 50-70 fps. I don't feel the need for waving trees, high grass, or leaving tread marks at the expense of performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.