Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
75 years ago today, July 4, 1939. One of the best sports speeches, if not one of the greatest speeches in American history ever spoken was said by the iron man Lou Gehrig.

Lou Gehrig's farewell address:
"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans.

"Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn't consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day? Sure, I'm lucky. Who wouldn't consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball's greatest empire, Ed Barrow? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Sure, I'm lucky.

"When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends you a gift - that's something. When everybody down to the groundskeepers and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies - that's something. When you have a wonderful mother-in-law who takes sides with you in squabbles with her own daughter - that's something. When you have a father and a mother who work all their lives so you can have an education and build your body - it's a blessing. When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed - that's the finest I know.

"So I close in saying that I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

- Lou Gehrig
http://www.lougehrig.com/about/farewell.html

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
75 years ago today, July 4, 1939. One of the best sports speeches, if not one of the greatest speeches in American history ever spoken was said by the iron man Lou Gehrig.

http://www.lougehrig.com/about/farewell.html

I'll certainly accept that it is one of the best sports speeches...but "one of the greatest speeches in American history ever spoken"...I would have to disagree with that. That would, for example, put it in the same class as, for example, "The Gettysburg Address" or FDR's "Day of Infamy" speech.

It's a good speech, nonetheless...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I'll certainly accept that it is one of the best sports speeches...but "one of the greatest speeches in American history ever spoken"...I would have to disagree with that. That would, for example, put it in the same class as, for example, "The Gettysburg Address" or FDR's "Day of Infamy" speech.

It's a good speech, nonetheless...
Gehrig didn't rehearse of even have notes when he gave that speech. That is what makes it more iconic.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Gehrig didn't rehearse of even have notes when he gave that speech. That is what makes it more iconic.

Ummm…. I'm going with Shrink on this one. The one time I was in Washington I spent a couple of hours in the Lincoln Memorial. Read the Gettysburg, and then the 2nd Inaugural. Then I read them again. And again. Man, that dude could write.

And I'm not even American. His words transcend national concerns.

Gehrig… sorry, but not even close. I agree with his sentiment though.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
That was a good speech, no doubt about it. However, I agree with the others that there are many other better speeches.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Excellent speech, and well worth reading on its own merits.

However, I'm with Shrink, here. To my mind, while it is a very impressive speech delivered by a sportsman, it is not 'one of the greatest speeches in American history that was ever spoken', not if one is including Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, or his Second Inaugural Address.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I think we can agree that calling Gerhig's speech one of the best speeches in American history is a bit of an overstatement and the there are many speeches in our history that surpass it in eloquence and importance.

It was a good speech, touching, moving, and unusually elegant for a sport speech, but far from one of the greatest speech in American history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.