Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'm buying a late 2013 iMac off a friend that came with the BT keyboard and Magic Mouse. My friend is keeping the mouse, as I have a Magic Trackpad and prefer it over the MM. I also have a wireless USB mouse to help me setup. Once the Trackpad is paired, I'm going to wipe the HDD and reinstall OS X.

My question is after I wipe the HDD and reinstall, will I be able to use the BT keyboard and trackpad, or will I need a wired USB keyboard and mouse for the initial setup and re-pair the BT devices after?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
As part of the setup, it will attempt to "auto pair" with your BT keyboard and mouse. You shouldn't need a wired KB/Mouse unless you have a serious problem.

photostudent

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
New Zealand
I switched out my wireless BT mouse for the RAT 7. I needed buttons to help with my photo editing and sorting that were programmable. I haven't look back at the Apple BT Mouse. The RAT 7 is wired and I use the Razer Mouse Bungy and the Razer Aluminium Gaming Pad with my iMac. Love the setup and the time saved with the mouse equates to 25% per image that requires heavy editing.
As a comparison "if" I edit an image time is no more than ten minutes...per shot. I will adjust saturation and WB which now I can speed thru with the RAT. Totally recommend the wired mouse as now I have no issues with connectivity and dropping like I did. I must admit the Apple batteries have lasted longer than the kiosk ones I was initially using but now I have no issues at all and the speed/control/adjustability is outstanding. Just my opinion

jrjung

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
Can't reconnect Microsoft Basic Wireless Mouse to imac

My wireless mouse was working just fine, but then I accidentally turned off my imac (Maverick) and now I can not get it to work even with new batteries. I now realize that I am supposed to have a dongle or usb receiver that is needed to reconnect the mouse.
But, oddly, i have been using that mouse for several years WITHOUT a usb receiver.... my memory is poor... I may have had that usb receiver a while back, but it is no longer available.

Do I just forget it and buy a new mouse?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
My wireless mouse was working just fine, but then I accidentally turned off my imac (Maverick) and now I can not get it to work even with new batteries. I now realize that I am supposed to have a dongle or usb receiver that is needed to reconnect the mouse.
But, oddly, i have been using that mouse for several years WITHOUT a usb receiver.... my memory is poor... I may have had that usb receiver a while back, but it is no longer available.

Do I just forget it and buy a new mouse?

If it was working with your iMac without the dongle, then it is a Bluetooth mouse and you were using the iMac internal Bluetooth to connect with it. Chances are that you either accidentally switched off your Bluetooth (do you also have a wireless keyboard? Is it working OK?), or the mouse needs to be "paired" again.

Open your Bluetooth Preferences and see if the mouse is listed. If so, try to "connect". If that doesn't work, remove the mouse from the list and let your iMac find it again and "pair" with it. You will probably have to cycle the power on the mouse or push a reset button on it to put it in the discovery/search mode again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.