Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New2AllThis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to using iTunes in any capacity other than as a very basic means for storing my music, but recently I've been interested in getting a multi room setup going and wanted to work figure out what my options are.

First off, let me explain why; I've got a music collection that I want to play through my home theatre system. I've got two children who are now getting to the age where they also want to play music, but not necessarily the same music that I play. So what I'm looking at is a system that will play different music in different rooms (not the same music in different rooms). I've been looking at a Sonos, but from what I gather there are no parental controls, so it leaves things open for the kids to mess about changing what I'm listening to downstairs if they were so inclined.

The setup I have is reasonable. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate HTPC with 4TB storage, and this is where I have iTunes installed. This is plugged into a Yamaha receiver 7.1 system. I've got everything working in the room where I keep this equipment, and I have an android phone that uses an app called 'Retune' that acts as an iTunes remote control. Now I would like to extend this library to other rooms, and I'd like to do it without the cost of a Sonos system if at all possible, but I'd like to maintain some form of parental control (both children are under 10). At the moment, the way I'm getting around this (sort of, at least) is by sharing a playlist, into which I add all of the music I have deemed 'acceptable' for them, and they have a laptop that has iTunes installed, so they see the shared playlist.

I was wondering if there's any way of extending this to different rooms so that they don't have to have a computer running, and just have remote speakers (much the same as a Sonos type setup).

They also have android tablets, so alternatively is there any kind of iTunes client that just plays (not syncs, because the library is too big for their tablets) the music I allow them to see?

I've seen an application called iHomeServer, but I can't seem to see whether this would be of any use to me or not, given what I'm after. I've also seen a system called 'Whaale'. Could this be the answer?

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if they had an iOS device, you can access shared playlists on the computer from the music app in much the same way you would access music stored locally on the device, but it streams over your network.

Airplay from iOS does have the limitation of one output at a time, unlike iTunes which will stream to multiple outputs.

New2AllThis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to reply waw74 :)

Unfortunately they don't have iOS devices, but for streaming playback on android there's an app called DoubleTwist that I've got to look into, to see if it does what I need. I've literally just found out about it so I haven't read much about it at the moment.

Just looking at the Whaale app though, and from what I can see, I think I need an Apple TV to make this work (no built-in Airplay support for my Yamaha RX-V671). Does this sound about right?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I think I need an Apple TV to make this work (no built-in Airplay support for my Yamaha RX-V671). Does this sound about right?

If you have a TV there, then go Apple TV. If only audio you want airport express.

Apple TV can work without a screen. But you need one to set it up.

The express can join the wireless from any manufacturer just like your computer or tablet does. Or you can connect it wired.

Both options should be available from the apple refurb store if you want.

New2AllThis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
Thanks for your replies everyone. After more reading though, am I right in thinking iTunes can only actually deal with one output stream, so it can't play one track in one room and a different track in another room from the same library, even with an Airport Express?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
am I right in thinking iTunes can only actually deal with one output stream, so it can't play one track in one room and a different track in another room

No, you are wrong. Think of iTunes as a server that can support multiple users viewing or listening to anything in the library.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Thanks for your replies everyone. After more reading though, am I right in thinking iTunes can only actually deal with one output stream, so it can't play one track in one room and a different track in another room from the same library, even with an Airport Express?

you are right,

iTunes can play only one thing at a time.
If you're using iTunes to actually play the media, you can only have one song, coming out of one or multiple speakers

But, iTunes can serve to multiple players at a time.
you need another player to make this work, like an aTV, iOS device, or iTunes running on another computer.
or possibly something on android, but i'm not sure about the options there.

an airport express, or any of the airplay speakers on the market are not players, they are just outputs. You still need a player of some kind.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You are correct. I was thinking in the context of sharing the library with multiple devices, not sending the actual audio/video directly to an amplifier or TV screen.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Synology's DS Audio app can send multiple streams to multiple Airplay devices. My 413j can do it, so I would guess most of the newer Synology NAS would have similar capabilities.

I have never messed with multiple users and parental controls, but I think it is possible. You should check out the Synology forums.

Here is some info related to DS Audio with multiple users:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/tutorials/499

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.