Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP*

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
I am using my laptop with an external monitor. My battery is already in bad shape as it's an old model. But I want to keep the lid closed and unplug the power and allow it to run off the battery so that it keeps being recycled.

I cannot find the option to do that? I just don't want it to go to sleep when I unplug.

Thanks

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Your Macbook will not drive an external display on battery power. If you want to use battery power you'll have to disconnect the external display and open the lid.

In the majority of more recent Apple laptops the monitor can be driven on battery power – but not with the lid closed.

So open the lid a couple of inches and away you go.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
In the majority of more recent Apple laptops the monitor can be driven on battery power – but not with the lid closed.

I can confirm that. My 2011 MBP and 2013 rMBP can both drive the 24" Cinema Display on battery power. But the lid has to be open to do that. It will not drive the monitor on batter power if the lid is closed.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

I didn't know that. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.