Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
My iMac keeps on sounding like an old diesel car engine every so often. The sound of the cams going tap tap tap.

It could be just a fan or the HDD. Any ideas?

ruutiveijari

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2005
Hellsinki
howesey said:
My iMac keeps on sounding like an old diesel car engine every so often. The sound of the cams going tap tap tap.

It could be just a fan or the HDD. Any ideas?
What kind of iMac are we talking about?

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I once had a PC laptop where a bearing went bad, causing the fan to make much more noise, kind of like an engine revving. It's tough to say if this is necessarily the problem you have, but it could be a possibility. Is the fan making more noise than it used to or is it just noisy in general?

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
RndmAxess said:
This is similar to past Apple denial of various other problems such as Powerbook displays with white patches, 23" ACD color issues, earlier iMac G5 overheating, etc.

Though they eventually did acknowledge the white patches on the PowerBook...

So keep beating on 'em, eventually they'll give...

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
iMac G5 rev C. It's two months old.

I had it 20 or so minutes ago. It kicks in, and fades slowly after a few minutes.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Made a recording of the sound. First is with the sound, second is normal. Ignore my mouse click on the second. Fan speeds are both the same.

I also get that click click sound from the CPU fan.

Attachments

• Output 1-2.mp3.zip
    180.8 KB · Views: 218

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Story so far. I went to the Apple store in Birmingham, UK. I spoke to one of the sales consultants and he has told me to bring it in, it's not normal. We had a listen to some of the 17" and 20" iMacs which were both rev c and Intel and they all didn't make the click sound.

I will take my Mac in on Monday hopefully.

The sound that the other iMacs made was like me blowing with my mouth.

I'll keep you all updated.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
how does it sound

so, for those of you, us with this problem.

how does it sound? Can you hear it when the computer starts up? For example, when I start the computer up, I hear this GRRRrrr, then that goes away, but I think the FUTURE sound say after 30 minutes or so IS the Grrrr, that started it just comes back.

the clicking, sounds like a differant area.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
really no sound

so, is there REALLY NO sound when you intelimac is running? Meaning, if you put it to sleep, there is no differance. I can certainly hear the gurgling sounnd coming from the back when I hit ESC and bring it out of sleep. But, I wonder if this is now just some sort of system noise?

I really don't want to return ANOTHER one, but if this is an issue that is going to get worse then I don't want to risk it.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
howesey said:
Made a recording of the sound. First is with the sound, second is normal. Ignore my mouse click on the second. Fan speeds are both the same.

I also get that click click sound from the CPU fan.

how are you getting the NORMAL sound, does yours make this sound intermittantly?

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
I havn't had time to take it to the Apple store.

I always get a GRRRR sound, which I didn't hear on other iMacs. This sound happens at all RPMs, as the fan gets faster, it gets louder - So it has nothing to do with the fan moving slow which some can make odd sounds.

However, once every few days I get a very loud GRRR diesel engine sound (so loud I cannot hear my TV), the only way to get rid of it is to put the Mac to sleep or shutdown, or leave it a while and it will start to fade away. This sound still happens even when the HDD is dismounted and spun down, no DVD/CD in the drive, so it has to be a fan.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
alright

alright, you GOTTA take that thing back. Mine is just annoying and a bit irrritating but yours really sounds like it has some issues.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Heya.

This thread makes interesting reading. My 20" iMac iSight has exactly the same problem. The noise is always present but is worse at some times than others.

Luckily I have two iMac G5s so I can confirm that the other one doesn't have this problem at all. The only difference is that mine has an extra 1GB RAM. I'm going to try and remove it and if it's still the same I'll be demanding a replacement.

cblackburn

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2005
London, UK
jmsait19 said:
Though they eventually did acknowledge the white patches on the PowerBook...

So keep beating on 'em, eventually they'll give...

I have a 12" Powerbook G4 Rev. B which has said fscking annoying white patches. Is there anything I can do about it (the 'book is covered by Applecare)

Chris

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
-Garry- said:
Heya.

This thread makes interesting reading. My 20" iMac iSight has exactly the same problem. The noise is always present but is worse at some times than others.

Luckily I have two iMac G5s so I can confirm that the other one doesn't have this problem at all. The only difference is that mine has an extra 1GB RAM. I'm going to try and remove it and if it's still the same I'll be demanding a replacement.

what sort of sounds do the imac g5 make? Is it really absolutely nothing? when you shutoff the computer is there NO sound that is going away?

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
tivoboy said:
what sort of sounds do the imac g5 make? Is it really absolutely nothing? when you shutoff the computer is there NO sound that is going away?

I returned my iMac G5 yesterday ... now I have to wait for my credit card to be refunded before I can buy an Intel iMac.

The iMac G5 I had makes a sound like, well, a quiet diesel engine. It's just annoying in a quiet room, or when watching a DVD. Most of the time it's not noticable, but it's a real nuisance once you notice it.

The other iMac G5 I have is completely silent, except for the sound of air moving, so I know not all iMac G5s suffer from the problem. Interestingly though, one of the display models in the shop yesterday had the same problem, but I'm yet to see an Intel iMac suffer from the rattley fan.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
gusanitoverde said:
That the intel macs will also be noisy? I am planning to buy one for a recording music mini - studio.
My new Intel iMac is absolutely silent. Having lived for four years with a Dell Space Heater (TM) under the desk, I keep asking myself if the fans are actually broken. I hope they're not.

BobbyHill32

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2006
A week ago I bought a 17" intel iMac and there was a crackling sound coming through the machine whenever an application was in use I swapped it out at the store and the 2nd one did it and it was worse. Whenever the processor was running it sounded like a bad radio signal. Apple is now swapping it out direct with them. I will get it on Mon. so I will see what happens.

p:ro

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2006
white spots on powerbooks

cblackburn said:
I have a 12" Powerbook G4 Rev. B which has said fscking annoying white patches. Is there anything I can do about it (the 'book is covered by Applecare)

Chris
Just for the record: 4 Chris

I brought it almost 8 months later into a OfficialAppleDealerStore and got a new screen. Production failure accepted by Apple as far as I know!!! If you still have AppleCare you shouldn't have any trouble at all (twice :cool: )

Enjoy your new screen Chris

J

jemroc

Had the same problem with my 20" iSight G5. Made this buzzing noise the first time I started it up out of the box. I'm curious how widespread this problem is considering that several people have mentioned that their iMacs are whisper quiet. Perhaps Apple corrected this problem in their later batches. Is there any way to determine the manufacture date of an iMac? I bought mine just last week, but it still shipped with Mac OS X 10.4.2, which is pretty dated. I'm thinking it was probably sitting on the shelf at Amazon's warehouse for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.