Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I've just recently downloaded biteSMS and I'm loving it so far, but I have noticed it does drain your battery faster than stock SMS, probably because of the quick reply & quick compose.

What do you guys like better?! I know some people deck out their stock messages app with just Messages Customiser and it looks way cooler.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I prefer biteSMS. But I'm jailbroken on iOS 6.1, so the Messages app is very plain compared to bite.

I use the 7.6.8 beta which gives me Text Heads. Those are contact pictures in the Notification Center I can press on and go directly to texting that contact. It's a feature they discontinued in the 8 betas and 8.x releases.

I'm not experiencing any battery drain either, so maybe it's another tweak or something you have?

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I prefer biteSMS. But I'm jailbroken on iOS 6.1, so the Messages app is very plain compared to bite.

I use the 7.6.8 beta which gives me Text Heads. Those are contact pictures in the Notification Center I can press on and go directly to texting that contact. It's a feature they discontinued in the 8 betas and 8.x releases.

I'm not experiencing any battery drain either, so maybe it's another tweak or something you have?

Well I do have a habit of killing an app constantly, so could that be it? I've heard that causes battery drain sometimes too.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
It'd be like walking into an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting and saying "Which do you prefer, a big, tall, ice cold beer... or a cracker?" hehe.

BiteSMS of course :)

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
Well I do have a habit of killing an app constantly, so could that be it? I've heard that causes battery drain sometimes too.

Yeah, it seems manually killing apps is a negative on battery life. I think that having to do that in old iOS versions got us all paranoid. And it was pretty much fixed years back.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
I had to uninstall bitesms, lept popping up and i couldn't stand the app not being called Messages, I never even quick replied, just dismissed the messages for a different time, so there was no point in me having it

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
I had to uninstall bitesms, lept popping up and i couldn't stand the app not being called Messages, I never even quick replied, just dismissed the messages for a different time, so there was no point in me having it

You can disable pop-ups/notifications and make the icon look like the default 'Messages'.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
iMessages + Couria is the perfect combo for me. BiteSMS has too many options i cbf trying to figure out tbh lol

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iMessages + Couria is the perfect combo for me. BiteSMS has too many options i cbf trying to figure out tbh lol
I like the fact that biteSMS lets me mute certain contacts. I never see their message on the lockscreen and I never get an indicator that there is a text from them.

It's useful for certain contacts such as Twitter or my bank, or the local restaurant chain who I gave my number to.

ilovewasabi

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
Use messages tweak. Looks and works like stock iOS. Great for QR and QC.

I'm surprised this tweak doesnt get mentioned more. Highly overlooked qr/qc tweak. I would say after using bitesms, auki, messages+, and couria, Messages is the best out of all of them.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I have a BiteSMS license yet even so, prefer the simplicity of the stock iMessages.
With HideMe7 installed I am able to customize my messages perfectly and am pleased with the way it all works seamlessly.

Of course there are many advantages to BiteSMS (theming, among many of them) yet I find myself going back to stock after a rejailbreak.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
I have yet to try BiteSMS. Is it compatible with Messages Customizer? I've been using it to change the look of Messages to my liking, but wouldn't mind some additional features with BiteSMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.