Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:09 PM   #201
djtech42
macrumors 65816

I was really looking forward to the design of Yosemite after seeing screenshots of it. After I installed it, I realized how horrible it looks (for now at least). The design could have been executed in a much better way in certain apps and places in the system. For the first time, I am somewhat dreading upgrading to the next version of OS X.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:06 PM   #202
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Surprised here we are with b4 already and the fonts still look crappy. Maybe they look good on a retina screen, but on my 21.5" iMac and my Mac Pro with a 27" display they look really bad.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:17 AM   #203
grahamperrin
macrumors 68000

Arrow Title bars and addresses: gone. Customer: gone.

Quote:
For me, one of the worst aspects of Yosemite is the partial abandonment of title bars.

I hope to see title bars used properly in the next seeded build.
As 14A298i arrives, I depart.

Most aspects of Yosemite are beautiful, but I'm a user of addresses, title bars, titles, proxy icons and so on.

Apple is spoiling for me the app that I loved and used the most: Safari. Alternatives? Nightly builds of WebKit were not usable with 14A283o … and I guess that eventually, the GUI of WebKit.app will be forced to share some of the same flaws as Safari 8.

Some of the design precedents associated with Safari in Yosemite are unacceptable to me. Abandoning the title bar; obscuring basic information such as addresses … user interface inconsistencies … such things make it less easy to use an Apple OS on Mac hardware.

Farewell, OS X.

It will surely succeed, but it's no longer the OS for me and the sooner I settle on alternatives, the less painful it will be.

https://twitter.com/grahamperrin/sta...10338097934336

https://alpha.app.net/grahamperrin/post/35065550 – at the beginning of that thread, please note that my primary concern was not the look of OS X …
grahamperrin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:12 AM   #204
bobbydaz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamperrin View Post
As 14A298i arrives, I depart.

Most aspects of Yosemite are beautiful, but I'm a user of addresses, title bars, titles, proxy icons and so on.

Apple is spoiling for me the app that I loved and used the most: Safari. Alternatives? Nightly builds of WebKit were not usable with 14A283o … and I guess that eventually, the GUI of WebKit.app will be forced to share some of the same flaws as Safari 8.

Some of the design precedents associated with Safari in Yosemite are unacceptable to me. Abandoning the title bar; obscuring basic information such as addresses … user interface inconsistencies … such things make it less easy to use an Apple OS on Mac hardware.

Farewell, OS X.

It will surely succeed, but it's no longer the OS for me and the sooner I settle on alternatives, the less painful it will be.

https://twitter.com/grahamperrin/sta...10338097934336

https://alpha.app.net/grahamperrin/post/35065550 – at the beginning of that thread, please note that my primary concern was not the look of OS X …
would you really drop an OS just because no title bars in Safari, whats the big deal??
bobbydaz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:44 AM   #205
grahamperrin
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydaz View Post
would you really drop an OS just because no title bars in Safari … ?
No, I would not.

Please take a closer look at everything that I wrote, including the linked thread.
grahamperrin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:30 PM   #206
mif
macrumors Demi-God

After the initial shock, i kind of like it.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:02 PM   #207
smartalic34
macrumors 6502a

I guess Apple isn't going to update the hard drive/firewire/usb/time machine drive icons that appear on the desktop. They seem a little out of place to me, now that everything else has gone flat...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:43 AM   #208
oatman13
macrumors regular

Love the design; hate the performance.
oatman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:32 AM   #209
MarsViolet
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to MarsViolet
Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
Let me save you the wait.
  • Yosemite will launch on the App store (free) in the fall alongside iOS 8
  • The majority of the tech press will laud the design and features, especially Continuity/Handoff
  • Yosemite will be the fastest adopted release of OS X ever
  • Like iOS 7, the over-critical tech geek population will cry endlessly about design direction and Apple's apparent failure to innovate while mainstream consumers upgrade and don't think twice about it
  • Somewhere on a forum near you, some guy will be whining and claiming that they're staying on Snow Leopard because Apple is "doomed"
Of course, considering what Apple’s users have devolved to become, Apple could make iOS and OS X look and act like Windows 3 and this same exact scenario would take place. It’s pretty sad.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccloud View Post
So you're taking the posts of a small minority of Mac users on a site where complaints are by nature 100x more common and using that to reflect upon Apple as a whole? Are you in Congress?

The FACTS are that Apple's customer satisfaction rating has gone higher each year, outpacing everyone else in the industry. PC World, Laptop Magazine, JD Power, and others have shown the same results. If anything, Apple's gaining MORE traction rather than less traction with consumers. As for your iOS7 claims, the numbers once again prove you wrong. At WWDC this year, 87% of iOS users were running iOS7, once again proving that your opinion is lacking in factual evidence to support your claims.

What's worse about your post is that you seem to be saying "I hate it because so many people are complaining." rather than any actual evaluation of the products themselves. You're like the Business Insider guys that write content just to get page views without offering any logical, rational, of factually-based observations.
The problem is that consumers don’t do anything with their computers. They have no demands other than pretty and shiny. As Apple focuses more and more on this market segment, to the detriment of professional users, their customer satisfaction ratings naturally go higher.
MarsViolet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:29 AM   #210
goMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickaxe View Post
Ive's Apple doesn't work this way, unfortunately. They'll give everyone the same font.
Problem here is simple: What if you have a machine with both a retina and non-retina display? Apps can't respond to font changes between displays. Not only is the entire system and all apps not built to deal with that, but the spacing changes in text could dramatically shift things as you move windows between displays.
goMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 08:09 AM   #211
Dilster3k
macrumors 6502

I embrace the evolution of the OS. Yet I did appreciate the depth of detail that went into the realistic design of the UI with a mix of the "Aqua" elements. I'll need to get used to this new design philosophy and I do wish they had taken a different design approach a few years back with iOS 7.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 05:13 PM   #212
ooninay
macrumors member

My biggest complaint about Yosemite is the default wallpaper (the only one in OS X's history that I truly dislike) so I guess I'm pretty happy with the UI changes. I have some minor reservations, but I like the changes I like more than I dislike the changes I don't like.
ooninay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:17 PM   #213
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a

I haven't run Yosemite personally yet, but for anyone who has on a Macbook Air can you say if the font on the official Twitter app is comparable to the font of the general OS? Helvetica Neue actually looks pretty decent on my MBA running Mavericks and looks better than the screenshots I've seen of other people running Yosemite on a MBA. My worry is that it looked really jagged and unsmooth on Yosemite, but if it looks identical to how it is on the Twitter app on Mavericks I may actually not have a problem with the font.
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:00 PM   #214
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsViolet View Post
The problem is that consumers don’t do anything with their computers. They have no demands other than pretty and shiny. As Apple focuses more and more on this market segment, to the detriment of professional users, their customer satisfaction ratings naturally go higher
Translated: they don't do what I do, therefore what they do is not worth catering to.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:06 PM   #215
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilster3k View Post
I'll need to get used to this new design philosophy and I do wish they had taken a different design approach a few years back with iOS 7.
iOS 7 isn't even a year old.
iBlazed is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:29 PM   #216
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBSDGuy View Post
I think Apple is aware of the fact that the migration from iOS 6 to iOS 7 wasn't well received.
Yeah, that 87% adoption rate must really show Apple how unpopular it is.
iBlazed is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:09 AM   #217
Mtmspa
macrumors 6502

Whiners are gonna whine and haters gonna hate. If you don't like it, use Windows 8 and quit complaining because we don't care.
Mtmspa is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:27 AM   #218
Dilster3k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
iOS 7 isn't even a year old.
Indeed, I was talking about the development side of things. As the redesign was initiated shortly afters Steve's death.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 05:53 AM   #219
orestes1984
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRobert10 View Post
It's just not professional looking.
Let me end this discussion, right here, right now. The iMac was just not a professional look...

The iBook was just not a professional look.

The Blue and White G3 was just not a professional look.

Aqua was just not a professional look

Do you see what I'm saying? If you want a professional look buy a ThinkPad, or a ThinkStation from Lenovo. If you just want to complain, we here you, and we don't care. Get it? Apple does not care what you think as you do not represent the product they are selling.

If you still want to complain, sit down and watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

People have been complaining about Apple not having a professional look every time since Apple stopped making beige and black boxes. Your argument is old and no one cares what you think anymore, we've heard it ever since 1997. There are adults who were 1 year old when people like you started complaining about the direction Steve Jobbs and Johny Ives were taking Apple in. Yes I read those complaints when they first introduced the iMac and PowerBook in MacWorld magazine way back in the late 90s well before this forum existed.

You are resoundingly wrong. Apple has never once had a professional look since 1997.... And if you want that kind of professional look go buy a can of Pepsi off of John Sculley. Apple never has and never will be competitive in terms of professional looks. They are out stripped 10 to 1 in terms of workstations with professional looks in reality, Apple doesn't know how to do professional looks nor should they.

Professional looks are not what Apple does. If you want to live your life in a straight jacket then buy yourself a workstation running Windows 8 and leave everyone else who wants to buy a Mac alone.

--> The door is that way, don't let it hit your arse on the way out...

Last edited by orestes1984; Jul 24, 2014 at 06:30 AM.
orestes1984 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:36 AM   #220
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestes1984 View Post
Let me end this discussion, right here, right now. The iMac was just not a professional look...

The iBook was just not a professional look.

The Blue and White G3 was just not a professional look.

Aqua was just not a professional look

Do you see what I'm saying? If you want a professional look buy a ThinkPad, or a ThinkStation from Lenovo. If you just want to complain, we here you, and we don't care. Get it? Apple does not care what you think as you do not represent the product they are selling.

If you still want to complain, sit down and watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

People have been complaining about Apple not having a professional look every time since Apple stopped making beige and black boxes. Your argument is old and no one cares what you think anymore, we've heard it ever since 1997. There are adults who were 1 year old when people like you started complaining about the direction Steve Jobbs and Johny Ives were taking Apple in. Yes I read those complaints when they first introduced the iMac and PowerBook in MacWorld magazine way back in the late 90s well before this forum existed.

You are resoundingly wrong. Apple has never once had a professional look since 1997.... And if you want that kind of professional look go buy a can of Pepsi off of John Sculley. Apple never has and never will be competitive in terms of professional looks. They are out stripped 10 to 1 in terms of workstations with professional looks in reality, Apple doesn't know how to do professional looks nor should they.

Professional looks are not what Apple does. If you want to live your life in a straight jacket then buy yourself a workstation running Windows 8 and leave everyone else who wants to buy a Mac alone.

--> The door is that way, don't let it hit your arse on the way out...
La Mac Pro:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New-Mac-Pro-Is-Actually-Cost-Efficient-Thanks-To-AMD.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	556.9 KB
ID:	482025  
MartinAppleGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:48 AM   #221
orestes1984
In Time-Out

It's surprisingly reminiscent of the 20th anniversary Mac.
orestes1984 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 07:13 AM   #222
hamis92
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestes1984 View Post
It's surprisingly reminiscent of the 20th anniversary Mac.
To be exact, the TAM itself was housed within the display like iMacs of today. The trash can in TAM was a subwoofer, part of the Bose sound system.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 07:34 AM   #223
orestes1984
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamis92 View Post
To be exact, the TAM itself was housed within the display like iMacs of today. The trash can in TAM was a subwoofer, part of the Bose sound system.
Yes I know, I'm just saying that combined they look reminiscent of a TAM.
orestes1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:02 AM   #224
blanka
macrumors 68000

• At least Apple MUST come with an option to disable ALL translucency. Not only for the menu bar.
  • Ditch the default wallpaper please. Use the booting-grey. It'll do. As at least 50% of Mac users can't change wallpapers, please keep this annoying image from this world.
  • Include the sRGB profile in all OS PNG's, not AdobeRGB. Now all colours seem over saturated and clipping to sRGB boundaries.
  • Kill the Finder smiley icon. Come with a boring SSD chip or something like that. The Finder Smiley had always been debatable, this incarnation is too much. It's face is just like cheap Lego clone mini-figs.
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:16 AM   #225
orestes1984
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanka View Post
  • At least Apple MUST come with an option to disable ALL translucency. Not only for the menu bar.
  • Ditch the default wallpaper please. Use the booting-grey. It'll do. As at least 50% of Mac users can't change wallpapers, please keep this annoying image from this world.
  • Include the sRGB profile in all OS PNG's, not AdobeRGB. Now all colours seem over saturated and clipping to sRGB boundaries.
  • Kill the Finder smiley icon. Come with a boring SSD chip or something like that. The Finder Smiley had always been debatable, this incarnation is too much. It's face is just like cheap Lego clone mini-figs.
Your suggestions have been done already

orestes1984 is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Yosemite (10.10)