Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PandaBrit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I'm a newcomer to these forums.

I bought a Macbook pro Retina today, the £2199 model. Goodbye savings, haha. Anyway I thought long and hard about getting one and after waiting months for them to announce a new model at the apple event a few weeks back and they didn't I figured id just buy one anyway.

I've had it now all afternoon and It is still updating. My internet is not the best, sadly no fibre optic in my area which is a real shame and its literally taking hours to download just a 1gb update and then a few other other updates all about 900mb each. Is it always this slow for updates or is it just my internet? I've got a feeling it's my internet if i'm being honest and just wanted to post here and ask.

At this rate I'll still be here next month waiting for my downloads to finish :-(

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
It's not uncommon to have updates... can you go someplace that has faster internet, even if you have to pay a little?

I'm not too patient!

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Your local apple store should allow you to connect to their internet to do the updates, just make a genius appointment.

I'm lucky to have cable which is about as fast as most residential fibre, so it is always quicker for me to use it at home, but the fact it's on offer at the store is pretty cool. If you don't mind hanging around an Apple store for 1/2 hour or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.