Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I recently was given a friend's Thunderbolt Apple Display as he no longer needed it. I have a MBA and was wondering if I should get a wired mouse and keyboard or go with Bluetooth? Do wireless options last long on batteries or do you have to replace them often, thus exponentially adding to their cost vs. a wired USB combo?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
All depends on the particular models you choose, but recent stuff seems to last a long time.

I use the apple wireless keyboard and the apple wireless trackpad and have been perfectly happy. I don't really know how often I change batteries, it's infrequent enough that I've not paid attention. Maybe two or three times a year.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
At home I use a 27" ACD with Apple's BT keyboard and MagicTrackpad. I find if I turn them both off when my MBA is not connected to the ACD, the batteries last FAR longer then leaving them on and having them constantly searching for a device to pair with when not even connected to the display.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I highly recommend the Logitech BT Solar Keyboard. You get the benefits of wireless while never having to replace the batteries. (It can also be linked to three devices simultaneously.)

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I highly recommend the Logitech BT Solar Keyboard. You get the benefits of wireless while never having to replace the batteries. (It can also be linked to three devices simultaneously.)

Ordered it today from Amazon. Can't wait to try it. Will it come charged or will I need to leave it in light for a while when I first open it?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Well I'm not personally a fan of external trackpads, so I couldn't say. And my current wireless mouse doesn't have very good battery life due to it being designed for gaming. I have had a good experience with non-gaming wireless optical mice from Logitech in the past though.

Ordered it today from Amazon. Can't wait to try it. Will it come charged or will I need to leave it in light for a while when I first open it?

It should have some juice right out of the box. And it doesn't take that much light to charge it.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
The Apple MagicTrackPad is a terrific device IMO. Haven't used a mouse since I purchased the MT. With the "Tap to Click" functions enabled, it really is a dream to use. Best peripheral I purchased yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.