Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
My old canon T1i worked best at ISO800 for wide angle astrophotography, it's 5 year old sensor and processor tech.

I got a new canon 70D, late May, I so love it's more control/etc than my T1i.
That tilt screen is a neck saver also, and touch screen ability to change settings is great also for astrophotography.
For day use I shoot thru viewfinder.

Simply, what are other 70D users shooting wide angle astrophotography with for ISO as balance between light gathering in short time vs image noise?

1600? 3200?
Since I can't tell noise on small view screen I'm double shooting many with both, heck 1 64GB card holds nearly 2,000 RAW images, and I'm only on card 1 of 3.

My lens is the 15-85 , I simply shoot at 15mm with f3.5, 25 sec max (limit star oblong stretch) always for wide angle astrophotography.

As posted elsewhere here I'm actually 2 weeks into a 3 week big family out west vacation, no access to computer.
Just iPhone surfing.
Camping at Yellowstone canyon campground, 3rd night now.
Only get 3G data seems 9pm-6am, then network seems overloaded and 1x rest of day.

When back I'll post photos in other thread.

Thx in advance.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
My old canon T1i worked best at ISO800 for wide angle astrophotography, it's 5 year old sensor and processor tech.

I got a new canon 70D, late May, I so love it's more control/etc than my T1i.
That tilt screen is a neck saver also, and touch screen ability to change settings is great also for astrophotography.
For day use I shoot thru viewfinder.

Simply, what are other 70D users shooting wide angle astrophotography with for ISO as balance between light gathering in short time vs image noise?

1600? 3200?
Since I can't tell noise on small view screen I'm double shooting many with both, heck 1 64GB card holds nearly 2,000 RAW images, and I'm only on card 1 of 3.

My lens is the 15-85 , I simply shoot at 15mm with f3.5, 25 sec max (limit star oblong stretch) always for wide angle astrophotography.

As posted elsewhere here I'm actually 2 weeks into a 3 week big family out west vacation, no access to computer.
Just iPhone surfing.
Camping at Yellowstone canyon campground, 3rd night now.
Only get 3G data seems 9pm-6am, then network seems overloaded and 1x rest of day.

When back I'll post photos in other thread.

Thx in advance.

Perhaps you should ask this question in this forum:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Anyway, you could also use the similar settings (used on your T1) on the 70D? The problem I can see is that the lens you have is not that great for sky photography. Consider the following lenses:

-14mm f/2.8 Sanyang (a manual lens, but very sharp, with a wider aperture than the one you have)
-Tokina 11-16 f/2.8

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Canon 70D ISO for wide angle astrophotography

Usually someone does high ISO vs noise and determines optimal for sensors and night photography.
I've not seen that done so was asking, yes I also posted in POTN, it's a different forum with different users, besides a few like you and I and a couple others.

So I was looking for help, and am on the road vacation..... Peace

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Usually someone does high ISO vs noise and determines optimal for sensors and night photography.
I've not seen that done so was asking, yes I also posted in POTN, it's a different forum with different users, besides a few like you and I and a couple others.

So I was looking for help, and am on the road vacation..... Peace

The reason why I mentioned it to you is because several photographers in the POTN specialize on night photography of the sky and post their photos there. While I do engage in night photography, it's only related to the Auroras in the interior of Alaska where I live, but have never used 3200 ISO other than taking photos indoors without flash. For the Auroras I use around 800 ISO and f/2.8 or so at 11-13-sec. exposures.

I see that NeGRitO has posted a good link above.

Enjoy you vacation :)

Last edited:

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Thx NeGRitO for link, I'm in SD Custer state park campground and just imaged the Milky Way over our camp site using ISO 3200, 15mm and 25Sec,
(Waited till moonset, about 1am MDT here)

AlaskaMoose, I realize my 15-85 is not optimal for astrophotography, but it's the lens I have.
The Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is on my wish list, maybe my bday or Xmas. :)

I've never taken a 3 week vacation....got some decent Milky Way over the Grand Tetons last week.
It's kinda creepy imaging in bear country, your ears here every twig break in the darkness.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Thx NeGRitO for link, I'm in SD Custer state park campground and just imaged the Milky Way over our camp site using ISO 3200, 15mm and 25Sec,
(Waited till moonset, about 1am MDT here)

AlaskaMoose, I realize my 15-85 is not optimal for astrophotography, but it's the lens I have.
The Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is on my wish list, maybe my bday or Xmas. :)

I've never taken a 3 week vacation....got some decent Milky Way over the Grand Tetons last week.
It's kinda creepy imaging in bear country, your ears here every twig break in the darkness.

I understand. You have to use what you have :)

Now, while the Tokina 11-16 is a excellent lens for astro photography, you can save some cash with a 14mm Sanyang/Rokinon (etc.) lens. The only problem is that this lens is fully manual, but this should not be a problem for astro-photography since you have to manually focus the lens, regardless of brand.

I use a Tokina 11-16 on my 7D for taking photos of the Auroras, and a Tokina 16-28 with my 5DII. Both lenses are quite sharp fully open.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I really love wide angle photography, the 11-16 is on my short list. I'd actually have it for this trip but had unexpected $2k bill for new geothermal pump flowcenter that took some of my reserve "play" funds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.