Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbakker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Hello, since I switched to Mavericks several actions that I do daily on my MacBook now require my confirmation through a pop-up. For instance, when I switch off screen lock, I get:

Are you sure you want to turn of screen lock?
Your saved passwords and important data can be used by others who have access to your Mac if you turn off screen lock.

When I turn a socks proxy on or off using the command line utility networksetup, I get:

netrworksetup is trying to modify the system network configuration. Type your password to allow this.

Is there a general security setting that can be used to prevent these annoying pop-ups?

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Sorry, I don't know how to change it, but how often do you need to turn screen lock on and off? That is one of the very few things that show popups for me, and I thought it was always like that.

pbakker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I didn't get those pop-ups in Lion. They started coming after the upgrade.

I switch between screen lock and no screen lock depending on the surrounding environment. Everybody has personal data on their machine they may wish to protect when the machine is unattended. I for one don't like all the password-typing to unlock the screen, so it's a trade-off.

As these security questions started happening after the upgrade, I was hoping there might be a setting that is turned on by default on Mavericks that I can turn off to restore the previous beneficent situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.