Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

man2manno

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Hey guys,

I haven't had a whole lot of time to research this so something might exist, but I was wondering if anyone ever had any luck performing derivative and integral operations in an iOS app?

Let's say taking the derivative of some variable with respect to time, time will need to be stored in some array (I am assuming this is the best way).

Anyone try anything like this?

Thanks!

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
Hey guys,

I haven't had a whole lot of time to research this so something might exist, but I was wondering if anyone ever had any luck performing derivative and integral operations in an iOS app?

Let's say taking the derivative of some variable with respect to time, time will need to be stored in some array (I am assuming this is the best way).

Thanks!
It would be a relatively complicated task if you wanted to create an app that could take the derivative of any (differentiable) expression. Possible, but difficult. But if you're talking about taking the derivative of values only in a specific form such as f(x)=a^x+c, then it would be very easy. You wouldn't need to create an array, just separate the three variables and build if-statements to perform the logic of Newton's rules of differentiation.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
For symbolic differentiation, look into a C port of macsyma. Might be too big for iOS. For derivative of data, most college textbooks on numerical methods will have several chapters on the subject.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Look in any "numerical methods" book. It's dead easy. You use Simpson's rule for integral and you can always get the slope from Y(n) - Y(n+1)

You would only need to store the time of each sample if samples where not taken at fixed time intervals (such at 48,000 per second or whatever)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.