Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Fitne...=UTF8&qid=1404673738&sr=8-1&keywords=gear+fit

For those interest, Amazon has the Fit on sale for $99 (bestbuy may also). Personally, I don't own one but it's a nice price. With Android Wear coming out (unless you hack, this only works with Samsung phones) , I don't know if this is worth it?

Maybe, someone who has or had one can comment?

I've got one and I love it. It's primarily focussed on being a fitness band with some smartphone functionality (such as alerts) and doesn't run Android, Tizen, etc but a proprietary O/S that looks like the Tizen implemented on the Gear 2 (in a similar way to the iPod Nano looks like iOS but isn't), which means there are currently no 3rd party apps for it

It's very neat compared to the "full" smartwatches and does everything I want from a smart watch: I had a galaxy gear before I got my gear fit and can honestly say I haven't missed any of the stuff that's been cut out of it and with my S5 it provides a lot of useful information when used as a fitness band

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
I just got one yesterday and paired it with my Nexus 5. Had to downgrade it to Kitkat wouldn't work with Android L. Only thing that doesn't work is the weather and using quick reply for text. Everything seems to work fine. Also you can't track your S-health because that's for Samsung account.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I just got one yesterday and paired it with my Nexus 5. Had to downgrade it to Kitkat wouldn't work with Android L. Only thing that doesn't work is the weather and using quick reply for text. Everything seems to work fine. Also you can't track your S-health because that's for Samsung account.

It will work with non-Samsung phones? I didn't know that.

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
Best buy priced matched! Got one for 99! Seems pretty cool. I like how it looks when compared to the smart watches out there now. Totally worth 99 bucks in my opinion. Pairs nicely with my s5.

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
Pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 134

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Bargain ..... I'm more tempted by this now than the android wear device. They are €170 here on amazon , even with additional import duty the amazon.com would work out at €100 including delivery making it half price of android wear and a battery life that's 3x as long ......

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Bargain ..... I'm more tempted by this now than the android wear device. They are €170 here on amazon , even with additional import duty the amazon.com would work out at €100 including delivery making it half price of android wear and a battery life that's 3x as long ......

Really good deal ! If I had my Note 3 I doubt I could pass this offer.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Crazy how much the prices have dropped on these things. I think they were $200 when they first came out less than three months ago. Pathetic, Samsung! They seem confused. $99 should have been that starting price anyway.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN

I thought you had an M8?

Yeah, it's a real good deal. However, android wear has me intrigued. So, $100 for this takes $100 from an android wear device. I don't need two watches.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I thought you had an M8?

Yeah, it's a real good deal. However, android wear has me intrigued. So, $100 for this takes $100 from an android wear device. I don't need two watches.

Yep I do, but I also picked up a gold S5 for €300 about a week ago. Too cheap to pass up at that price :)

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
I will tell you guys that Samsung is doing a great job of tying people into their ecosystem. I switch phones VERY frequently and up until I picked up the gear fit yesterday for 100 bucks I was already looking to dump my s5 for an m8 but now my cool new gadget won't work (well) with any other android phone. So I'll likely stick to my s5 until the next iPhone comes out.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
This would be a great deal for it not the abysmal reviews the Fit is getting from the majority of websites.

I think this is a real shame Samsung couldn't get the Fit to perform quite right. They were able to get this out the door before Apple (with a beautiful design, too), but couldn't nail it functionality-wise. Could've been a great opportunity for them.

Unless I'm mistaken? Has updates or anything improved the Fit? I've read how it's terrible at getting accurate reads during workouts...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm doing well so far. Not tempted at all to buy any of the new tab S devices. Waiting for the next Note tablet and of course Note 4

I AM LOVING the Note Pro 12.2.

I've spent last three days having to draw artwork for a client and I used it to do my illustrations. Worked as well if not better than the Surface Pro 2 ever did.

I will definitely get the next one .....

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Looks great

I've had it for about 2 weeks because I "borrowed" it from the Samsung Galaxy Studio. It looks really nice and have become used to getting notifications on it(email, messages, calls, facebook, MLS Matchday, weather). Only got it to get used to wearing a watch again since I'm waiting for the moto 360. I don't use any of the health features except the pedometer but I really like it as a smart watch. Might get it for $99 now and use it for outdoor activities while I use the 360 for going out daily.

Update: Looks like it's sold out now in Amazon and Bestbuy.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This would be a great deal for it not the abysmal reviews the Fit is getting from the majority of websites.

I think this is a real shame Samsung couldn't get the Fit to perform quite right. They were able to get this out the door before Apple (with a beautiful design, too), but couldn't nail it functionality-wise. Could've been a great opportunity for them.

Unless I'm mistaken? Has updates or anything improved the Fit? I've read how it's terrible at getting accurate reads during workouts...

For $100 even if it isn't the best, it would be worth trying.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
For $100 even if it isn't the best, it would be worth trying.

Exactly which I did just a few hours ago. It may be sold out online at BB, my store has them in stock. I already returned two other options and the chief reason was cost effectiveness for my overall use. $100 hits the sweetspot! :)

----------

I know ... Hopeless :D

Going into spended animation would be the only thing that would help, just going cold turkey has no chance as that would not last 24 hours. :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I AM LOVING the Note Pro 12.2.

I've spent last three days having to draw artwork for a client and I used it to do my illustrations. Worked as well if not better than the Surface Pro 2 ever did.

I will definitely get the next one .....
Yeah Iove mine too. Just love all my note devices. Love my note 8.0 too but feels odd one out when you compare the screens

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Gosh if this would fully work without a Samsung phone I'd jump on this deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.