Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hopefully not too much of a clique, but I found the premier of The Leftovers to be intriquing. :) The premise: 2% (150 million) of the world's population disappears, right before the survivors eyes. Of course some people put a religious connotation on it, calling it the rapture, although it is pointed out that some of the missing people were not the best examples of humanity, so rapture is questioned by others. The story focuses on a small town sheriff, his family, and starts at the third anniversary of the disappearance. Society has taken somewhat of a hit, but there is still order, and there is a mysterious cult and a charismatic leader.

Similar in feeling and theme with the show Ressurection, but because this is on HBO, it's got a harder edge. The second episode is on tonight. I'll keep watching. :)

leftovers.jpg

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I liked it as well. The first episode set up a whole series of little mysteries and with good writing I'm hoping it will be fun to see them unravel. I'm glad its not a rapture story--or doesn't appear to be at this point anyway.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
2% doesn't seem to be a terribly large hit. I would imagine life would go on pretty much as usual. Although, I would be interested in hearing what sort of theories are put forth to explain the disappearances.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Will probably watch the premiere tonight but have read up on the show. Anybody waiting for them to reveal the mysteries behind the show will be disappointed. In an interview it was stated that the show is more about the effect of losing 150 million rather than the cause. They may never answer that on the show.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The second episode seemed to drift a bit, although I assume it is laying the ground work for the story. The cult who claims not to be a cult - the no speaking aspect seems... Strange. And then there is the deal with the dogs. :)

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Will probably watch the premiere tonight but have read up on the show. Anybody waiting for them to reveal the mysteries behind the show will be disappointed. In an interview it was stated that the show is more about the effect of losing 150 million rather than the cause. They may never answer that on the show.

I've read that too and I certainly hope that's not all there is to it. The effect of all those people disappearing is pretty predictable--those left behind are traumatized in various ways. If its really going to be about people moving through stages of grief, dealing with uncertainty and then "letting go" then its gonna be a snoozer.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The only way I can see this sustaining is if it had a major twist at the end of each season. The show is well-shot and produced, so I do see potential but I could see this being one of HBO's 2-3 season shows. I want more mystery and intrigue, personally.

Would prefer a premise about 2% of the world's population remaining, but this could take off. Maybe we'll lose another 10% next season :p.

That "spin the bottle" app may be the oddest use I've seen of an iPhone on TV. :eek:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The only way I can see this sustaining is if it had a major twist at the end of each season. The show is well-shot and produced, so I do see potential but I could see this being one of HBO's 2-3 season shows. I want more mystery and intrigue, personally.

Would prefer a premise about 2% of the world's population remaining, but this could take off. Maybe we'll lose another 10% next season :p.

That "spin the bottle" app may be the oddest use I've seen of an iPhone on TV. :eek:

Yes, alarming, but I could see it. :eek:

I agree with your critique, but I think the story is still developing. Where it is right now is interesting but more is needed to last. Although I hung in for the entire season, I was dissatisfied with the season finale of Resurrection which is similar in subject matter.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm 2 episodes behind. Just caught the entry where the minister fights to save his church. The signs, the ups and downs. This held my attention! :)

Not sure if this will be renewed though. :confused:

Update: 1 episode behind, slow burn towards something. Wife says "boring" :p

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm 2 episodes behind. Just caught the entry where the minister fights to save his church. The signs, the ups and downs. This held my attention! :)

Not sure if this will be renewed though. :confused:

Update: 1 episode behind, slow burn towards something. Wife says "boring" :p

It might be, but I think it's just one book

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
This show was unwatchable and my wife and I fell asleep watching the pilot episode.

My main complaint with the show is that there is a most wonderful premise but the disparate storylines (and this isn't like The Wire) were muddled because they were trying to do a slice of life on the ensemble cast. The idea of mystery is there but unlike David Lynch, there wasn't anything to hold my interest.

Last edited:

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I am going to give this show another chance. I perhaps should take this show more metaphorically and get into the mystery of it all rather than overanalyzing this show.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
I watched a few episodes, and I am not a fan. Once I read on IMDB about someone who read the book that says there is no "point" in the story, its just telling a tale of how people/society would react; I think it is not for me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I watched a few episodes, and I am not a fan. Once I read on IMDB about someone who read the book that says there is no "point" in the story, its just telling a tale of how people/society would react; I think it is not for me.

Huh? Sheesh, it might be a good time to reevaluate. :p

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I watched all 5 aired episodes several days ago only because the premise was interesting and for Justin Theroux (that jogging scene was like woah - even Liv Tyler commented about it, in addition to practically the entire internet). The first episode was good, made me really want to continue watching. But, unfortunately, it's going down-hill far quicker that I want it to; I really want to like this show. The actors are great, but the scripting and story progression needs work. I don't really know what the "point" of this show and I should have a pretty good idea at 5 episodes in due to HBO's limited number of episodes/season.

juliehrobak

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2014
Is the book any good? I just requested it from my library- I'll go pick it up on monday, I think.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
After reading this thread, it sounds like I'm going to be disappointed. I am caught up on all the episodes, but if they don't address the how/why of the departed, I'll just get disappointed. Part of me says don't watch this show anymore because of that. The other part of me likes the bonkers mini-plots like the dogs, the cult, etc. -- but I'm starting to wonder if they will ever address those fully, too.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After reading this thread, it sounds like I'm going to be disappointed. I am caught up on all the episodes, but if they don't address the how/why of the departed, I'll just get disappointed. Part of me says don't watch this show anymore because of that. The other part of me likes the bonkers mini-plots like the dogs, the cult, etc. -- but I'm starting to wonder if they will ever address those fully, too.

Not to be the thread naysayer, but some mysterious stories don't need all the answers if other elements keep it interesting. Lost is frequently held up as an example. For myself, the problem is that it's a dark, dreary story. I need some answers to endure it. ;) If we don't know why people disappeared, I see no reason why we will know about the dogs. The cult is just how people are dealing with it. I have stopped watching.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Not to be the thread naysayer, but some mysterious stories don't need all the answers if other elements keep it interesting. Lost is frequently held up as an example. For myself, the problem is that it's a dark, dreary story. I need some answers to endure it. ;) If we don't know why people disappeared, I see no reason why we will know about the dogs. The cult is just how people are dealing with it. I have stopped watching.

That's what I need -- some answers, or even a clue. I stopped watching after the 6th episode I think? I think it's well produced overall, but without any clues, it's just frustrating (to me); that's why I quit watching. The cult is silly in my opinion. The dogs are such a random thing that it felt like they were introducing another random event just to add to the mystery, as if everything was all tied together somehow.

As for Lost, I really enjoyed that first season. Somehow it was interesting even the next few seasons. Then the whole time travel thing kind of caught me by surprise. I didn't watch the last season. But I still think that first one was really good.

Again, just my feelings on these shows. Think I will finally start Boardwalk Empire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.