Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Restoring factory settings apparently doesn't do the trick as it still updates to the newest version available.

Is there a way to go back to version 6.0 by uploading it manually somehow?

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
It depends if Apple is still signing the firmware. I just downgraded my Apple TV 2 and 3 from 6.2 to 5.3 because of the judder/frame buffer issue which is well known. I found a mirror of the firmware site and restored both by connecting them to my Mac via USB and restoring from the files. Worked fine but now they keep asking to update and I keep having to tell them not to because I don't want to go back to 6.x again until Apple fixes the issue. Just for good measure, I reported it to them and said I had downgraded to 5.3 which had solved the problem but since the issue has existed since 6.0 I'm not holding my breath that they'll actually fix it any time soon.

betman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Could you post a short instruction set on how to carry out the downgrade so that we can maybe post this up for future reference?

Steppy

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2011
Southampton, UK
Could you post a short instruction set on how to carry out the downgrade so that we can maybe post this up for future reference?

As per my post on another thread, I have just downgraded my ATV2 from 6.2 to 5.3 and its running smooth as silk. My brief instructions are below. I have only done this once and am writing the instructions from memory, but hopefully I havent missed anything out.

- Goto http://ipswdownloader.com/download-apple-tv-ipsw-files.php and choose your the correct v5.3 for your ATV e.g. ATV3 or ATV2

- Plug your ATV into your MAC via USB (for ATV3 you will need to use the power lead too)

- ATV will appear in iTunes asking if you want to restore to factory settings.

- When you see the box saying download and install, hold down the option key first. You will then get the option to navigate to your previousley downloaded firmware.

- Once you have selected the firmware the downgrade should only take about 5 mins to complete. At the end it will say your box can be unplugged.

- Plug back into your TV, run the setup programe and you should have a judder free ATV once again.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything out. :)

betman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Hi, many thanks for posting the info here.

I'm trying to update (or rather "downgrade") my ATV but for some reason it's not working. When I hold down the 'option' key and click on 'Restore Apple TV' I am able to select a file, but when I click on the 5.3 file I previously downloaded I get the message:

'The Apple TV "Apple TV" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.'

I also tried holding down the option key at the next stage instead, where the popup window gives the option to "Restore and Update," but holding down the key had no effect whatsoever.

Reactions: rainestorm

Steppy

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2011
Southampton, UK
Hi, many thanks for posting the info here.

I'm trying to update (or rather "downgrade") my ATV but for some reason it's not working. When I hold down the 'option' key and click on 'Restore Apple TV' I am able to select a file, but when I click on the 5.3 file I previously downloaded I get the message:

'The Apple TV "Apple TV" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.'

I also tried holding down the option key at the next stage instead, where the popup window gives the option to "Restore and Update," but holding down the key had no effect whatsoever.

From memory it was the second stage "Restore and Update" that I hled the option key down and this produced the dialogue box which enabled me to navigate to the downloaded firmware which I saved to my desktop.

I did initally try double clicking the downloaded firmware, but after that didnt work I searched online and found out about the option key trick.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
I seem to recall reading an article somewhere, (I wish I could find a link to it), that Apple is signing 5.3 only for the 2012 ATV3,1 (A1427) not the 2013 ATV3,2 (A1469). Apparently there were some minor hardware differences. I could not downgrade my 2013 ATV3. I got the same "Apple TV could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible" message.

Check your model here:

http://www.everymac.com
`

Last edited:

betman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
If someone has the later version, which software version did it originally use "out of the box?"

betman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
I seem to recall reading an article somewhere, (I wish I could find a link to it), that Apple is signing 5.3 only for the 2012 ATV3,1 (A1427) not the 2013 ATV3,2 (A1469). Apparently there were some minor hardware differences. I could not downgrade my 2013 ATV3. I got the same "Apple TV could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible" message.

Are you sure, because the link with all the firmware files has the list divided according to the model of Apple TV (Apple TV 3G, Apple TV 3G -2013-, Apple TV 2G...). Since they're listing 5.3 under the new ATV then shouldn't it work?

betman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
The list of firmware files has 'ATV3' listed first, then 'ATV3 2013', 'ATV2', etc. I take it 'ATV3' is the newest version and 'ATV3 2013' is the previous one?

Anyway, I downloaded 5.3 from the 'ATV3 2013' section (which probably isn't the right one) and this time I got a different error message: "The Apple TV 'Apple TV' could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

jay47

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
Hasn't the buffering issue been reported since 6.0?

Have no idea . Purchased a few wks ago , came with 6.0.2 (6646.81.1) .

First thing i did was disable auto updates & check the forum for any problems with the newest update .

After seeing the thread about the buffering issue i decided not to upgrade .

I have tested itunes & self ripped 1080p & found no buffering .

betman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Right, so anything not signed by Apple will not get restored to ATV via iTunes?

betman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks for the info. So it does appear that Apple has signed 5.3 for the original ATV3 but not for the ATV (2013) one.

adoc2b

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
Apple TV 3 firmware can be downgraded w/o shah blobs

I recently acquired an Apple TV3 with the hopes of a jailbreak being available... much to my dismay this isn't the case; although I am still looking. This was done WITHOUT SHSH BLOBS.

However, there's a guy on YouTube that displays how you can downgrade to an earlier firmware: (here's the link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od_r2MecUN4

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
I recently acquired an Apple TV3 with the hopes of a jailbreak being available... much to my dismay this isn't the case; although I am still looking. This was done WITHOUT SHSH BLOBS.

However, there's a guy on YouTube that displays how you can downgrade to an earlier firmware: (here's the link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od_r2MecUN4

This is for ATV2. Yes, it works on that model but not on latest model (2013) ATV3.

keith0989

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
As per my post on another thread, I have just downgraded my ATV2 from 6.2 to 5.3 and

I have just downloaded 5.3 but I don't have a mac to do this on. What is the alternative to the "options" button on a laptop please?

----------

As per my post on another thread, I have just downgraded my ATV2 from 6.2 to 5.3 and its running smooth as silk. My brief instructions are below. I have only done this once and am writing the instructions from memory, but hopefully I havent missed anything out.

- Goto http://ipswdownloader.com/download-apple-tv-ipsw-files.php and choose your the correct v5.3 for your ATV e.g. ATV3 or ATV2

- Plug your ATV into your MAC via USB (for ATV3 you will need to use the power lead too)

- ATV will appear in iTunes asking if you want to restore to factory settings.

- When you see the box saying download and install, hold down the option key first. You will then get the option to navigate to your previousley downloaded firmware.

- Once you have selected the firmware the downgrade should only take about 5 mins to complete. At the end it will say your box can be unplugged.

- Plug back into your TV, run the setup programe and you should have a judder free ATV once again.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything out. :)

I have just downloaded 5.3 but I don't have a mac to do this on. What is the alternative to the "options" button on a laptop please?

Maverickev

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
Downgrade to older Itunes does not reconise

Hi,

I have downloaded the version 5.3 for apple tv 2G as mine has updated to 6.2 but when i plug into iTunes and press shift and click on restore it takes me to a page to choose the relivant update, I have un-zipped it but it will not reconise it. should i be saving it to my desktop a certain way.

please help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.