Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikkyX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2014
I have a 2TB Western Digital NAS which, until recently, has worked with my Mac (2013 Mac Mini, Mavericks 10.9.3, 16gb RAM) without a problem. I keep all the media for iTunes and a Roku 3 (which talks to Plex Server on my Mac) on there. It mounts from the network as /Volumes/Public.

I am currently finding that whenever I leave my Mac for a few hours - say I go to work for example, or go to bed - that when I come back to it, it has dropped the volume. If I open Finder (which, if the drive has disconnected, seems to take anything up to 30 seconds to actually appear), the drive still appears under the Shared section of the sidebar. If I click on the drive the share appears, if I double click on the share it re-establishes no problem. A few hours later it will be gone again.

I've tried re-setting all network settings and created a "Home" location instead of using Automatic but this doesn't seem to have helped. I don't have any settings to allow the computer to sleep - my monitors go off but the computer stays awake. It also doesn't matter whether I connect to the drive through AFP or SMB - same problem. I'm actually wondering if my Mac is dropping off the network altogether and losing the NAS is just the most visible symptom - but surely it should automatically reconnect if this happens?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Check two things.

1. In System Preferences->Security make sure the setting "Put hard disk(s) to Sleep when possible" is unchecked.

2. Check the manufactures firmware and see if it address the externals to sleep after a double of minutes or something you could change.

MikkyX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2014
satcomer,
Thanks for those suggestions - I've checked both and hard disks to sleep is OFF, and the NAS control panel also has sleep / energy savers disabled.

I should also have mentioned this is a fairly recent issue - I'd run this drive on on an old iMac for years and then my Mac Mini for a few months without seeing this problem.

I'm going to see if I can borrow an old NAS from my brother to see if the same thing happens to it. That should narrow down which end of the cable the problem is!

Karlosski

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2015
Its not your NAS I have the same problem. I mount my western digital NAS and it works fine then my iMac goes to sleep and I loose the NAS it's still there in finder but iTunes can't see it. It's driving me nuts it was running perfectly now since one of the updates in the last few months it no longer works. I have no idea which update caused it either.

ryanrinaldi

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2016
Its not your NAS I have the same problem. I mount my western digital NAS and it works fine then my iMac goes to sleep and I loose the NAS it's still there in finder but iTunes can't see it. It's driving me nuts it was running perfectly now since one of the updates in the last few months it no longer works. I have no idea which update caused it either.

I have a WD MyBook and MyCloud and I too am experiencing a dropped connection to my mac. I have it wired on a gigabit switch during tasks it will unmount. The WD boards haven't been too helpful and I was wondering if you all have found a solution yet?
[doublepost=1457789928][/doublepost]
I have a 2TB Western Digital NAS which, until recently, has worked with my Mac (2013 Mac Mini, Mavericks 10.9.3, 16gb RAM) without a problem. I keep all the media for iTunes and a Roku 3 (which talks to Plex Server on my Mac) on there. It mounts from the network as /Volumes/Public.

I am currently finding that whenever I leave my Mac for a few hours - say I go to work for example, or go to bed - that when I come back to it, it has dropped the volume. If I open Finder (which, if the drive has disconnected, seems to take anything up to 30 seconds to actually appear), the drive still appears under the Shared section of the sidebar. If I click on the drive the share appears, if I double click on the share it re-establishes no problem. A few hours later it will be gone again.

I've tried re-setting all network settings and created a "Home" location instead of using Automatic but this doesn't seem to have helped. I don't have any settings to allow the computer to sleep - my monitors go off but the computer stays awake. It also doesn't matter whether I connect to the drive through AFP or SMB - same problem. I'm actually wondering if my Mac is dropping off the network altogether and losing the NAS is just the most visible symptom - but surely it should automatically reconnect if this happens?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a WD MyBook and MyCloud and I too am experiencing a dropped connection to my mac. I have it wired on a gigabit switch during tasks it will unmount. The WD boards haven't been too helpful and I was wondering if you all have found a solution yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.