Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's 'Health' App Gains Ability to Track Steps With M7 Motion Coprocessor in New iOS 8 Beta

iOS 8 beta 3, which was released to developers earlier today, allows Apple's Health app to access the iPhone's M7 motion coprocessor, letting the app natively track movement like steps taken.

Available in newer devices like the iPhone 5s, the iPad Air, and the Retina iPad mini, the M7 "motion coprocessor" functions alongside the A7 chip in those devices, measuring accelerometer, gyroscope, and compass data for enhanced fitness tracking capabilities.

As noted by 9to5Mac the Health app's "Steps" section now tallies the number of steps a user has taken as measured by the iPhone 5s. Users accessing the Health app today will be able to access a full week's worth of data on their devices.

The M7 has been leveraged by several third-party app developers, such as Nike and Strava, but this is the first time the data has been made available directly via Apple's own Health app and it is also the first real data the Health app is able to display.

The new Steps and Caffeine options in Health, with image on the left provided by a MacRumors forum user.

Along with M7 integration, the Health app also has a new "Caffeine" section in the Nutrition portion of the Health Data tab. This appears to track how much caffeine is consumed and will likely integrate with third-party caffeine tracking apps such as UP Coffee from Jawbone, which lets users track the amount of coffee, tea, and other caffeinated beverages that are consumed on a daily basis.

At the current point in time, the Health app is rather limited, but by the time iOS 8 is released, dozens of device manufacturers and app developers will likely have built HealthKit into their apps, allowing the Health app to aggregate data from multiple sources into one easy-to-access spot. Health is also rumored to be heavily tied to Apple's upcoming health-tracking wearable device, the iWatch.

As described by Apple, Health aims to be a one-stop dashboard for health and fitness data, tracking metrics measured by various devices and apps, including heart rate, food consumed, cholesterol, sleep quality, and more. Apple's iOS 8 Health page says "It might just be the beginning of a health revolution."

iOS 8 is currently available only to registered developers and will likely be released to the public in the fall, after several more beta iterations to refine the look and feel of the operating system.

Article Link: Apple's 'Health' App Gains Ability to Track Steps With M7 Motion Coprocessor in New iOS 8 Beta
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:17 PM   #2
braddick
macrumors 68030

I'm running out of excuses not to exercise.
braddick is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:18 PM   #3
SANCHANN
macrumors newbie

Can't wait for iPhone 9 with iOS 13. Now it can track/control your taste buds, which will help you avoid fatty/sugar foods! Amazing!
SANCHANN is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:18 PM   #4
barefootman
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to barefootman Send a message via Yahoo to barefootman Send a message via Skype™ to barefootman
When I launch the health app it doesn't display any data. Can't figure out how to enable it. Got iOS 8b3 on my iPhone 5s.
barefootman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:18 PM   #5
smooth
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to smooth
I am really excited about all the health stuff coming up in iOS 8 but I am also nervous. I wonder how much battery all this constant motion monitoring is going to take. I use an app called Runtastic almost daily for a 45-minute jog and that alone uses 10%.
iPod Shuffle
smooth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:26 PM   #6
Komrad808
macrumors member

Nice! Shows my data from June 30th. Can't wait till this app goes into full effect. With the iWatch and the "Health App" this will be worth while.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:37 PM   #7
Mufaddal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootman View Post
When I launch the health app it doesn't display any data. Can't figure out how to enable it. Got iOS 8b3 on my iPhone 5s.

I'm having the same issue. 5s with beta 3, but no activity showing up. The Nike move app does show data so that app is pulling it from the M7 chip, but not apples own health app.
Mufaddal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:39 PM   #8
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Can someone say why there is data for some and not others? Mine is showing No Data.

EDIT>>> I rebooted the phone and the data showed up.

How dare they use such tiny type. It's like on the back of a pill bottle. Shameful. Really, I'm sick of tiny type on my iPhone. And I have every possible thing to enhance reading enabled. This screen shot is much larger than my phone's actual screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.PNG
Views:	198
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	479725  

Last edited by 8CoreWhore; Jul 7, 2014 at 06:49 PM.
8CoreWhore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Mufaddal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufaddal View Post
I'm having the same issue. 5s with beta 3, but no activity showing up. The Nike move app does show data so that app is pulling it from the M7 chip, but not apples own health app.

Yup. Reset fixed it and the data is there now!
Mufaddal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:45 PM   #10
proline
macrumors 6502

I love how MR can't fix up this drivel that appears over and over again "iOS 8 is currently available only to registered developers and will likely be released to the public in the fall, after several more beta iterations to refine the look and feel of the operating system."

What it should say it this "iOS 8 is currently available only to registered developers and will be released to the public in September alongside the iPhone 6, after several more beta iterations to eliminate bugs, finish key features, and make minor tweaks to the look and feel of the operating system."
proline is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:47 PM   #11
hipnetic
macrumors 6502

Oh, that UI is absolutely horrible.
hipnetic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:47 PM   #12
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502

I like the caffeine tracker, but am afraid to see how much I intake from the morning coffee : )
GuitarDTO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:51 PM   #13
ghost187
macrumors regular

Tic Toc Tic Toc, "brace" yourselves, the iwatch is coming!
ghost187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:52 PM   #14
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
I like the caffeine tracker, but am afraid to see how much I intake from the morning coffee : )
The amount of caffeine in coffee varies wildly. Starbucks coffee has way more than most. Decaf has a small amount, but Starbucks decaf seems to me to be about 50%.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:54 PM   #15
creanium
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANCHANN View Post
Can't wait for iPhone 9 with iOS 13. Now it can track/control your taste buds, which will help you avoid fatty/sugar foods! Amazing!
iPhone 9 will actually launch with iOS 14. Or perhaps iOS X.4 Tiger Kitten.
creanium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:03 PM   #16
joshwenke
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to joshwenke Send a message via Skype™ to joshwenke
Anyone care to explain why "Caffeine" has a carrot icon??
joshwenke is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:08 PM   #17
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by proline View Post
I love how MR can't fix up this drivel that appears over and over again "iOS 8 is currently available only to registered developers and will likely be released to the public in the fall, after several more beta iterations to refine the look and feel of the operating system."

What it should say it this "iOS 8 is currently available only to registered developers and will be released to the public in September alongside the iPhone 6, after several more beta iterations to eliminate bugs, finish key features, and make minor tweaks to the look and feel of the operating system."
MR plays it very safe. A rumor is a rumor. Apple has not confirmed ios 8 coming in September,her nor the iPhone 6. MR isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot by saying rumors are facts, no matter how certain you are or how many leaks there are.
joejoejoe is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:09 PM   #18
FreeState
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwenke View Post
Because in the App all food based items are represented by a carrot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	479731  
FreeState is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:09 PM   #19
johngordon
macrumors 6502

UI is often subjective, but that white on fluorescent green is verging on the unreadable. Its the same as they have in Calendar - I literally can't believe they don't seem to have noticed that, or seem to care. (And yes, I know this is beta, but Calendar isn't.)
johngordon is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:16 PM   #20
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
Because in the App all food based items are represented by a carrot.
Be careful. .0047% of humans have a bit of rabbit genes and carrots are like freaking heroin.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:17 PM   #21
darkplanets
macrumors 6502a

Obvious step forward. They didn't build the Health app just to aggregate others data -- that's simply a byproduct of them being reasonable on the matter. I'm half surprised they didn't cut out all 3rd party devices since there's obviously some fitness oriented iDevice coming.
darkplanets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:19 PM   #22
poppsound
macrumors newbie

Becoming more impressed as the updates roll out

This Health app will personally revolutionize the health industry. If people develop 3rd party devices to analyze our personal human data, maybe it can save lives and prevent health issues before they are.

Both my parents have heart surgeries. If this watch has any way of helping my parents stay healthier by analyzing information automatically, then bring it on - I will be the first in line.
poppsound is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:20 PM   #23
CalMin
macrumors 6502

iPedometer
15" MacBook Pro w. Retina Display - 2.3ghz Quad i7 / 256GB SSD / 8GB
CalMin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:24 PM   #24
Junipr
macrumors member

Last edited by Junipr; Jul 8, 2014 at 01:03 AM.
Junipr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:28 PM   #25
The Barron
macrumors regular

It's a food group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwenke View Post
If the original source is the coffee bean & it grew, they're probably calling it a vegetable due to "seeds." Hence, it's a food group.
The Barron is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion