Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, we shared a video of what appeared to be the front panel of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 subjected to a limited bending stress test, but YouTube user Marques Brownlee has now acquired the same front panel and subjected it to additional stress tests, including more significant bending and scratching.

In the video, Brownlee scratches and stabs at the panel with a set of keys and a knife, but is unable to cause any discernible damage to the display. He then goes on to bend it quite forcefully, both with his hands and under a shoe, but the panel does not break.

Though Brownlee describes the front panel as being made of sapphire crystal in his video, there is no way to confirm that the panel, which has been seen in previous videos and images, is indeed made of sapphire. Corning's Gorilla Glass, which is currently used in iOS devices, also has many of the same properties -- it is both highly scratch resistant and somewhat flexible.

Rumors have suggested Apple plans to utilize a sapphire display in the iPhone 6 for increased durability and scratch resistance, but it has also been suggested that sapphire could be limited to the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 due to supply constraints. In that case, the front panel of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 would likely continue to use Gorilla Glass.

Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone is expected to be released this fall, likely in September. A larger 5.5-inch iPhone is also in the works, but it is unknown whether the device will launch alongside the 4.7-inch version or later in the year. Both devices are said to include an A8 processor and camera improvements.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Front Panel Subjected to Scratch Test, Significant Bending

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
Panic Over

The wait is over. GTAT on sale today after UBS downgrades. what an opportunity. what a leak!

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Thats amazing! He beat the hell out of that piece of glass and it didn't do anything!

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Ah that's awesome!!! Now we can stop listening to the fandroids assume that the iPhones break more easily.

Dannyunltd

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Vista,CA
If this screen is the same material that would be use on the next iPhone then I am ecstatic. I will no longer need to buy a zagg protector screen.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Quality is a thing of the past, I guess :(

Used to be that keys were built strong to survive thousands of uses, a knife would cut whatever you wanted to cut, and a good shoe would never flex like that under the pressure of some random piece of a telephone.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Quality is a thing of the past, I guess :(

Used to be that keys were built strong to survive thousands of uses, a knife would cut whatever you wanted to cut, and a good shoe would never flex like that under the pressure of some random piece of a telephone.

What are you saying...? This video isn't about the bad quality of keys or good shoes.

Are you saying that Sapphire is the next best thing in the field of quality rendering old products once labeled "quality" irrelevant?

Hairllama

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
What are you saying...? This video isn't about the bad quality of keys or good shoes.

Are you saying that Sapphire is the next best thing in the field of quality rendering old products once labeled "quality" irrelevant?

I think sarcasm has been rendered irrelevant. :)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Definitely amazing. I'm afraid this may have the potential to hurt the 3rd party screen protector market. Though I'm sure some people will still want matte/non reflective or privacy films.

As much as I personally love using Power Support screen protectors myself, I'm excited by the notion of not needing to use one for the next iPhone.

Can't wait!

usamaah

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Chicago
And the race for best screen technology just got more interesting. Thanks again, Apple. Android manufacturers, your move. (I say this as a fervent supporter of Android).

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Definitely amazing. I'm afraid this may have the potential to hurt the 3rd party screen protector market. Though I'm sure some people will still want matte/non reflective or privacy films.

As much as I personally love using Power Support screen protectors myself, I'm excited by the notion of not needing to use one for the next iPhone.

Can't wait!

I'd say phone screens haven't needed screen protectors for a few years now. I bought my last screen protector in about 2011 and have used every device since then without it. Not a single scratch on any of them (I get a new device every year). Of course I don't purposely rub keys and knives on them, but in day to day use it held up just fine.

Then again, this is one anecdotal experience and obviously it doesn't apply to everyone.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
I'd still like to see a flat-drop test from about 5ft.

Then attach the display panel and perform the same test.

Many phones (even those from other handset manufacturers) don't fare very well when they land face down.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Holy crap, when he bends it under his foot!

I thought sapphire was supposed to be super rigid and prone to flex fractures. Obviously not.

I wonder how well it stands up to edge impacts.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Impressive. Though will Sapphire still need an oleophobic coating to reduce fingerprints? If so, that could still be susceptible to minor scratches.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Very impressive. Bring on the drop tests!

As he pointed out in the video, that's hard to do without the complete phone. However the fact that this panel is so flexible suggests that it would fair quite well in such a test. The rigid nature of glass is what generally causes it to fail on impact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.