Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandro-90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2014
Hi there,

I have an ipad which only has wifi and been thinking of getting the one which has wifi and cellular. I will be using it as a gps for my flying and was wondering if you guys know if it is possible to get the cellular one but not to get a contract and still be able to access google maps or one of my flying apps (foreflight)?

So saying I'm flying to the US and of course don't want to get overcharged because my data is on, so I turn it off. Will the ipad still know where I am? So could it still keep track of me while en route?

I hope you guys know what I mean and hopefully anybody can help me.

Thanks!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The iPad will know where you are. However, without a data connection, it won't be able to download and display maps. If your flight app can download maps ahead of time, those will work.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
The latest version of Google Maps allows you to save maps of your choice so that they can be used with GPS but with the cellular LTE and wifi turned off. So you could select the map area of interest when connected with wifi, save it, and then use it for flying without any internet connection.

But for flying, the map area could be fairly large and the associated saved file would be large also. So be aware of this and make sure you have enough storage in your iPad to accommodate it.

I believe that there are also apps other than Google Maps that will do this, but I am not personally familiar with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.