Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidsleepy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Montauk, NY
i've been using my pair of Sennheiser HD 212 Pro headphones since 2005 and i am still in love with them, however, finally a small tweet has started in one side on low bass ends and it is finally time to upgrade.

sennheiser doesn't make the hd 212's anymore and i am devastated by this... so I've been doing research for the past few months and have a couple that I've almost decided on. unfortunately, sennheiser is not carried by any retail stores near me (at least not the full line of products) so testing is nearly impossible.

I'm looking for any advice those of you audiophiles may have in response, and maybe whatever products you are listening to as well. i do most of my listening on my iPod and i hate headphones that need batteries and i think bose are far overpriced and their quality has never approached my sennheisers (which cost me ~$68 from amazon in 2005). so any headphones that do well on mobile devices that you could recommend would be awesome. i also do a lot of music production on my macbook pro.

frequency range is extremely important to me as well, my HD 212 Pro's had 12Hz-19KHz. so these are the ones I've been looking at:

Sennheiser HD 360 Pro (15Hz-22KHz) (these are my number one choice right now)

Denon AH-D1100 (5Hz-37KHz) (not sure the bass will be well-represented)

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (8Hz-25Khz) (far more expensive than the 360s on amazon...)

Sennheiser HD 558 (15Hz-28KHz) (VERY expensive for my price range)

Dre Beats Solo (20Hz-20KHz) (although they're FAR too expensive, they're one of the few i've been about to test/tried them on and they are INCREDIBLY comfortable and the sound quality is up to my standards)

does anyone know of any other companies/models that are similar in quality to the ones I've been looking at?

thanks for tall the advice guys!

Last edited:

kidsleepy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Montauk, NY
Audio Technica M50. Don't need anything else.

Stay with Sennheiser.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

Shure SRH44O

Audio Technica ATH-M50

ill definitely try these out thanks.

currently thinking the Sennheiser HD 439 is going to be my final choice. they have the removable cable as well and are included with a short one and a long one. the frequency range it good. they look extremely comfortable. i was at best buy and was only able to try on the HD 558 (its all they had) but they look extremely similar and i was beyond pleased with the quality.

the best buy home theater guy also had me test out these bowers and wilkins sets. so much $ and i have to tell you the sound quality was a joke, i wanted to punch him in the face for being retarded.

Last edited:

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
If you have a Sam Ash in your area, they will let you plug your MP3 player to them to try out.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
i've been using my pair of Sennheiser HD 212 Pro headphones since 2005 and i am still in love with them, however, finally a small tweet has started in one side on low bass ends and it is finally time to upgrade.

sennheiser doesn't make the hd 212's anymore and i am devastated by this... so I've been doing research for the past few months and have a couple that I've almost decided on. unfortunately, sennheiser is not carried by any retail stores near me (at least not the full line of products) so testing is nearly impossible.

I'm looking for any advice those of you audiophiles may have in response, and maybe whatever products you are listening to as well. i do most of my listening on my iPod and i hate headphones that need batteries and i think bose are far overpriced and their quality has never approached my sennheisers (which cost me ~$68 from amazon in 2005). so any headphones that do well on mobile devices that you could recommend would be awesome. i also do a lot of music production on my macbook pro.

frequency range is extremely important to me as well, my HD 212 Pro's had 12Hz-19KHz. so these are the ones I've been looking at:

Sennheiser HD 360 Pro (15Hz-22KHz) (these are my number one choice right now)

Denon AH-D1100 (5Hz-37KHz) (not sure the bass will be well-represented)

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (8Hz-25Khz) (far more expensive than the 360s on amazon...)

Sennheiser HD 558 (15Hz-28KHz) (VERY expensive for my price range)

Dre Beats Solo (20Hz-20KHz) (although they're FAR too expensive, they're one of the few i've been about to test/tried them on and they are INCREDIBLY comfortable and the sound quality is up to my standards)

does anyone know of any other companies/models that are similar in quality to the ones I've been looking at?

thanks for tall the advice guys!

If you want to spend money on the Beats Solo, I'd pick the M50/x instead. But I'd also suggest the UE6000, they're a bargain right now! More comfortable than the Solo, sound more accurate and have active noise-cancellation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.