Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the introduction of OS X Yosemite, Apple introduced a significant visual change with an iOS 7-like "flat" look and completely redesigned icons. While Apple's icons will see a refresh once Yosemite is released, users will have to wait until third-party companies have updated their icons to match Apple's new design language for OS X icons.

In the meantime, users in this long running MacRumors' forums thread have been designing their own "flat" versions of both Apple and third-party applications, allowing some users to switch out their icons until the real thing is available. Additionally, some users are redesigning Apple's own icons for users who are using Mavericks rather than the Yosemite beta.

icons.png
iWork, Twitter, Skype and 1Password icons by Arn0​
While the icons may not be fully representative of the official icons, they do provide a look into Apple's new icon philosophy enacted upon an icon not designed for it, allowing for a glimpse into various companies' processes.

Forum member Arn0 had been taking requests from other forum members, recreating various icons to fit more along more nicely with Yosemite's design aesthetics.

Alongside stand-alone apps like 1Password, Twitter and Skype, Arn0 also redesigned icons for entire suites of software, like Adobe's Creative Suite. Thread starter Humex has been sharing a number of different examples of flat OS X icons from around the web, including concepts that hew closer to Apple's style than Arn0.

Alternatively, designers like drflash have taken a different approach to flat design. Rather than mimic Apple's philosophy and match OS X Yosemite, they created their own design language with Flat OS, which provides a completely different experience for OS X users. The design seems to marry "flat" design alongside some skeumorphic principles, giving icons a more tangible feel.

flatos.png
Flat OS X by drflash​
In a blog post on Gizmodo, MartianCraft's Nick Keppol explains that Yosemite's new look centers around four basic ideas: visual rhythm in the dock, three basic icon shapes and their design grid, shape hierarchy and lighting effects and materials.

Visual rhythm allows the new dock to look more consistent, although that is helped by the fact that OS X icons are now broken up into three types: circles, squares and titled rectangles. While Apple itself isn't totally consistent with these three types, Keppol found that - for the most part - circles are used for more consumer-oriented apps, squares are used for System-related utilizes and titled rectangles are used for applications that are most often used for work.

Finally, Apple uses Hollywood-style yellow and orange highlights and blue and teal shadows to give the metal-like materials that the icons are made out of feel warm and tangible. This helps create the illusion that the icons are more physical than previous icons while also looking flatter than before.

If you'd like to switch out your icons until they're fully upgraded with OS X Yosemite, the icon sets shown are linked above, while all of Arn0's redesigned icons are available to download via Dropbox. Icon sets from arn0 and other designers are also available to download via the forum thread. Here are easy instructions on how to change app icons on OS X.

Article Link: Third-Party Mac Icons Reimagined in OS X Yosemite Style

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
They don't all need to be circular. But the Twitter one works. Great work.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't like them at all. I hope people realize that "flat" is not inherently better or a logical step forward, regardless of what Apple says in its keynotes. Its a design choice, just like skeuomorphism, which some people will like and others will not, and which can be taken to an extreme (or not).

IMO, there's a happy medium to be struck between "felt" in Game Center or "ripped edges" in Calendar and this cartoony mess.

CrazyForApple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Thankfully none of those will look that bad, like come on, there is no way they will make those icons look like that.

Last edited:

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Lets make them 3D spheres so that when you click one it bursts with a loud pop and the app flows out of the icon in a liquid delight of swirling pixel glory to form onto the screen.

*cough*

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
If you make all icons circular, and using only 1-2 colours, it makes it harder to differentiate between icons. The more variety, the better.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Yuk. I am interested in real improvements in reliability, usability, durability, compatibility, legacy support, etc. Icons, smikons - that's just glam and useless.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Lets make them 3D spheres so that when you click one it bursts with a loud pop and the app flows out of the icon in a liquid delight of swirling pixel glory to form onto the screen.

*cough*

I guess you're being sarcastic, but I actually really like that idea. It could flow out of the icon into a splash screen. (And seriously, what the hell has happened to splash screens? I don't care if app load times are now very fast, I want something to look at so I know something important's being loaded, dammit!)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Flat OSX by drflash

does it come with a game controller? Is there a coin slot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.