Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Hey all

Have the latest Apple TV plugged into my TV HDMI and connected on a BT Home Hub 3 (80MB line) via WiFi.

Every 2nd or 3rd episode on Netflix pops up an error has occurred with this content, please try later.

All I do is wait 5 to 10 seconds then without leaving Netflix start the movie again and it allows me to resume. I got so fed up with this happening at key points in my shows that I now use my iPad to play Netflix and send it to the Apple TV via AirPlay which is mostly flawless and quicker at starting the next episode.

So, is this down to WiFi? BT Hub? Maybe it is because i use Unblock-US for watching the USA shows? or is this a common problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Anim

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Someone has reported the issue in another thread and apparently it only applies to those using wifi. Run a cable to your ATV and apparently things get back to normal.

Are you having this problem ever since the upgrade to 6.2 or were things just as bad with 6.1?

Also, are you getting the same quality picture when doing everything via an iPad & AirPlay?

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
My Apple TV is the latest version, and it is running just fine on wifi running Netflix.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Yeah it did it with the previous firmware/update too.

Im guessing it could be Unblock-us that is the cause. I will run it without any DNS changes for awhile and see if it still bombs out.

iPad quality starts off grainy for 5 or 10 seconds then goes HD

Thanks
Anim

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
It could also be your ISP. We changed providers in the winter and have found that despite being connected via 100baseT the Netflix runs poorly. I just read an article stating the Netflix and Youtube run like poop over FIOS and I can confirm that.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
It could also be your ISP. We changed providers in the winter and have found that despite being connected via 100baseT the Netflix runs poorly. I just read an article stating the Netflix and Youtube run like poop over FIOS and I can confirm that.

Will look into that. BT are a huge ISP in the UK so would have thought there would be more of an uproar if not.

Anyway, process of elimination in order i think.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Im guessing it could be Unblock-us that is the cause. I will run it without any DNS changes for awhile and see if it still bombs out.

The good thing about using a DNS-based solution over a VPN-based one is that the stream goes directly to your computer/device, so whatever speed/quality you get depends on your ISP.

With VPN the stream (as with everything else) is just tunneled through an intermediary, so instead of a direct connection it's sort of like diverting traffic via another route and via another machine in fact.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I was having connection problems and solved them by resetting the ATV by pressing and holding Menu and Play/Pause for a few seconds. Maybe try that. You'll have to re-enter passwords and authorizations to things like HBOGO.

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
Hey all

Have the latest Apple TV plugged into my TV HDMI and connected on a BT Home Hub 3 (80MB line) via WiFi.

Every 2nd or 3rd episode on Netflix pops up an error has occurred with this content, please try later.

All I do is wait 5 to 10 seconds then without leaving Netflix start the movie again and it allows me to resume. I got so fed up with this happening at key points in my shows that I now use my iPad to play Netflix and send it to the Apple TV via AirPlay which is mostly flawless and quicker at starting the next episode.

So, is this down to WiFi? BT Hub? Maybe it is because i use Unblock-US for watching the USA shows? or is this a common problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Anim

I have this same issue. I'm on time warner. I began resetting my ATV when i turn it on as a routine daily practice to try to help with it. My passwords don't get reset as described , so it's not such a big deal. However, after a few hours of viewing, it starts happening again.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

Hmm, maybe they are not paying Verizon enough money so that the customers who also pay Verizon plenty get the service they already pay for.

Yeah, these days that sounds about right. I'm glad our government is going to bat for us on this... oh, wait. They aren't are they?

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
I'm glad our government is going to bat for us on this... oh, wait. They aren't are they?

Of course not. The whole "of the people, by the people, for the people" notion is long gone. Governments only serve corporations nowadays, and of course their own personal interests as well.

Not sure though if the ISP can be to blame. After all, those who have their ATV hooked up via ethernet have not reported any issues, so maybe it's a wifi thing with the ATV box after the update?

Not that an HD picture requires that much of a throughput though, so not sure what to think of it.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Not sure though if the ISP can be to blame. After all, those who have their ATV hooked up via ethernet have not reported any issues, so maybe it's a wifi thing with the ATV box after the update?

But he stated he had same issue before the update. Maybe he has issue with interference from his neighbors WiFi routers (some devices are more sensitive than others). Worth a try to change the WiFi channel and see what happen.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
FWIW I am running the newest software version (which is impossible to downgrade to any previous version if you have the newest ATV) and I recently subscribed to Netflix for the first time.

Although my ATV is connected via wifi I have had no issues so far. I have only been watching 45 min. episodes of a show though, no feature-length movies. But so far no 6.2 issues with Netflix in combination with wifi.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Have you tried running an "emergency" ethernet cable until Apple irons out any issues? I've got one just in case and I'm ready to roll it out (and roll it back up again) each evening if I have to... :)

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Have you tried running an "emergency" ethernet cable until Apple irons out any issues? I've got one just in case and I'm ready to roll it out (and roll it back up again) each evening if I have to... :)

Had a work colleague who bought an ATV3, he had a horrendous experience... laggy, crashed a lot etc., but standard ATV functionality (i.e. apple content) worked fine.

He tried updates, resets, hardwired internet, etc. but nothing helped.

In the end he took the device back and swapped it for another, the replacement worked great... to me it implies that either he had a one off dud or there's different spec's floating around (maybe old stock?).

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
There should be no performance differences between the different versions of ATV3 which are indistinguishable from the user's perspective. Though it is interesting that Apple is allowing the first version to downgrade to lower firmware releases... but not the latest version (ATV3 2013).

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Giving up with Apple TV's version of Netflix now.

Netflix just randomly closes (back to apple tv home)
Netflix can't load streams and says try again later
freezes with streaming errors.

It happens every 20 to 30 minutes now.

The solution is still to to use Netflix on iPad mini to Apple TV via airplay which works normally without errors. I can watch 6 episodes straight without a single hitch.

Shame as the little Apple TV box is very convenient.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Give it one last go please and not just reboot but reset the whole box.

Give it the wipe from the menu option and after that input all your setting again, like wifi and iTunes passwords, etc.

Some users have reported that a general wipe and starting over has solved all their problems, and it's definitely worth doing before giving up the box for good...

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
I have 5-7 devices that have Netflix and the AppleTV is the only one which presents the show in HD, every single time, any time of the day, without issues.

It's on WiFi.

terryblyth

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Walton-on-Thames, UK
Giving up with Apple TV's version of Netflix now.

Netflix just randomly closes (back to apple tv home)
Netflix can't load streams and says try again later
freezes with streaming errors.

It happens every 20 to 30 minutes now.

The solution is still to to use Netflix on iPad mini to Apple TV via airplay which works normally without errors. I can watch 6 episodes straight without a single hitch.

I had the same issue. My Apple TV was one of the dodgy batch with the serial number replacement scheme, so I got it swapped out.

Then the same thing happened and I got it swapped again.

So far, so good! It is bizarre how Airplaying Netflix worked fine though.

To me it looked like every once in a while, just for two seconds, it would drop the connection. If you left the ATV on the signal strength screen, you could see the network disappear to 0 bars, and then come back. I have a feeling the Netflix app couldn't deal with this, which was what led to the crashes.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
I had the same issue. My Apple TV was one of the dodgy batch with the serial number replacement scheme, so I got it swapped out.

Is it possible to check online somewhere whether the serial number is part of the dodgy batch?

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast

Yes, Verizon intentionally slows down Netflix because they are trying to extort money from netflix. Net neutrality is dead, and this is what we get because of it.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I to was having the problem using WiFi. I then moved my modem close to my TV so that I could connect it directy with an ethernet cable. No more stopping and starting.
You will never get the same bandwidth using WiFi as you do using a direct cable connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.