Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
I have a iPhone 4 with AT&T. I can get a new iPhone 5S from Radio Shack for $60.00 if I trade in my phone. About $100.00 if I don't trade in my phone. To me it's worth the extra $40 to not have to worry about my personal info being stolen. I know I can try to "clean" my phone before trading it in, but I'll never know for certain that I did it right. Plus, with my old phone handy I can transfer my notes, etc. at my leisure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
$40 for peace of mind, guess it's up to you. It really is simple to restore an iPhone though. No need to worry that your info will be left behind if properly restored.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I have a iPhone 4 with AT&T. I can get a new iPhone 5S from Radio Shack for $60.00 if I trade in my phone. About $100.00 if I don't trade in my phone. To me it's worth the extra $40 to not have to worry about my personal info being stolen. I know I can try to "clean" my phone before trading it in, but I'll never know for certain that I did it right. Plus, with my old phone handy I can transfer my notes, etc. at my leisure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Settings / General / Reset / Erase All Content and Settings

Your phone is then completely wiped, and none of your personal data can be stolen. Actually, behind the scenes, what it does is to (very quickly) destroy the decryption key that accesses all data on the phone. All data in the phone's memory is encrypted, and once the encryption key is gone, it's gone. The only way you can get it back is restoring from some kind of backup, e.g. if you've done an iCloud backup.

If you're upgrading phones, it's probably a good idea to make sure that you've done at least one iCloud backup. Then, it's a doodle getting your new phone up and running.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Thanks

$40 for peace of mind, guess it's up to you. It really is simple to restore an iPhone though. No need to worry that your info will be left behind if properly restored.

Thank you very much!

----------

Settings / General / Reset / Erase All Content and Settings

Your phone is then completely wiped, and none of your personal data can be stolen. Actually, behind the scenes, what it does is to (very quickly) destroy the decryption key that accesses all data on the phone. All data in the phone's memory is encrypted, and once the encryption key is gone, it's gone. The only way you can get it back is restoring from some kind of backup, e.g. if you've done an iCloud backup.

If you're upgrading phones, it's probably a good idea to make sure that you've done at least one iCloud backup. Then, it's a doodle getting your new phone up and running.

Thank you very much!

----------

You have NO technically adept friends, relatives, or colleagues?

Yes, apparently I do have friends...on this forum. I guess that's why I joined it. See the above posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.