Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

960design

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
So far, this morning I've setup two new iPads. Normally, new iPads get several Apple Apps for free: Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto, iMovie

Starting this morning, for me, the apps are no longer free on newly purchased iPads.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
It still says in the fine print that it is free for all new activations so it must be a bug or something. I had an issue when I purchased from the refurbished store and I contacted support and they gave me codes to redeem them for free.

960design

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Thanks! I ran across to another access point and another new iPad setup with no issues like the others, but this time I DID get free apps. Not sure what is going on. But it is probably an isolated case related to my AP.

I'll keep messing with it. Several hundred more to go!!!

960design

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Apparently it was just a blip in the system. I'm getting free apps assigned to devices again.

Apple quickly replied with, please send us a list of serial numbers for the newly created devices and we will issue redemption/managed distribution codes within 7 days.

960design

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
If you are setting up several hundred iPads, shouldn't you be using Apple Configurator, or whatever it was called?

EDIT: http://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/1.5/
HAHA! I setup several hundred a week. Apple configurator could be used for smaller deployments, although I wouldn't see why anyone would use it these days.

Now with current MDM / DEP / VPP / Managed Distribution tech, you have the iPads mostly setup moments after they are purchased; to include non removable MDM profiles on supervised devices. When the devices arrive we only have a very short setup process that includes assigning the devices to their iCloud / App Store accounts and download the free Apple Apps. This gets the devices immediately operational with zero setup on the client's side. It also ensures we can silently push/pull new apps on demand without any interaction required by the end user.

The last setup is entirely optional on our part, but we've found that it completely has stopped initial issue phone calls, eliminating 100s of tech calls per week. Trying to troubleshoot iPad setup issues with very non-technical end users IS quite frustrating to us and them. That's why we spend the extra 5 minutes.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
HAHA! I setup several hundred a week. Apple configurator could be used for smaller deployments, although I wouldn't see why anyone would use it these days.

Now with current MDM / DEP / VPP / Managed Distribution tech, you have the iPads mostly setup moments after they are purchased; to include non removable MDM profiles on supervised devices. When the devices arrive we only have a very short setup process that includes assigning the devices to their iCloud / App Store accounts and download the free Apple Apps. This gets the devices immediately operational with zero setup on the client's side. It also ensures we can silently push/pull new apps on demand without any interaction required by the end user.

The last setup is entirely optional on our part, but we've found that it completely has stopped initial issue phone calls, eliminating 100s of tech calls per week. Trying to troubleshoot iPad setup issues with very non-technical end users IS quite frustrating to us and them. That's why we spend the extra 5 minutes.

Okay. What I don't understand is why the free apps have to be installed manually. Wouldn't these mass configuration solutions let you automate that part?

960design

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Okay. What I don't understand is why the free apps have to be installed manually. Wouldn't these mass configuration solutions let you automate that part?
I agree; it would save me a couple of taps. In the old days we could use Apple Configurator to push the apps anonymously, but Apple has since changed some of their deployment strategies. Not to mention fighting with connecting hundreds of iPads to carts for syncing. The entire idea of hooking up a mobile device to do anything bothers me. Even the charging part, but we must wait on the engineers to catch up with Tesla. I digress. The apps are tied to the machine that pushes them. This requires passwords to update, and causes issues for users that delete an app and want it back. We CAN push everything except the initial free apps from apple. We don't currently get credit for an app when we purchase a new device. Apple waits for that device to initially log into their server, verifies that the device serial number has never been seen before and issues redemption codes. The codes could be used by any account signed in. If we let end users do this, they would sign in with their personal account, get free apps, get fired two months later or change positions and turn the device over to the new person which would then be without the apps. At this point we could purchase the apps, but this can quickly become very expensive with our deployment numbers. If we initially deploy the apps to our account we retain ownership.

Again, this is only an issue with the initial free apps from apple. We are trying to save the tax payers a little bit of their money.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I agree; it would save me a couple of taps. In the old days we could use Apple Configurator to push the apps anonymously, but Apple has since changed some of their deployment strategies. Not to mention fighting with connecting hundreds of iPads to carts for syncing. The entire idea of hooking up a mobile device to do anything bothers me. Even the charging part, but we must wait on the engineers to catch up with Tesla. I digress. The apps are tied to the machine that pushes them. This requires passwords to update, and causes issues for users that delete an app and want it back. We CAN push everything except the initial free apps from apple. We don't currently get credit for an app when we purchase a new device. Apple waits for that device to initially log into their server, verifies that the device serial number has never been seen before and issues redemption codes. The codes could be used by any account signed in. If we let end users do this, they would sign in with their personal account, get free apps, get fired two months later or change positions and turn the device over to the new person which would then be without the apps. At this point we could purchase the apps, but this can quickly become very expensive with our deployment numbers. If we initially deploy the apps to our account we retain ownership.

Again, this is only an issue with the initial free apps from apple. We are trying to save the tax payers a little bit of their money.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like something Apple could improve, as I think a lot of organizations would need to install the free Apple apps on their iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.