Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:55 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Tattled on Google to Draw FTC Attention to Similar Kids In-App Purchasing Issue

Earlier this year, Apple entered into an agreement with the Federal Trade Commission, promising to provide $32 million in refunds to parents whose children purchased unauthorized in-app items.

As it turns out, while Apple was being targeted by the FTC for letting children make in-app purchases without parental consent, the company was attempting to get Google in trouble for doing the same thing. According to a report from Politico, head Apple lawyer Bruce Sewell sent the FTC a report highlighting the same in-app purchase issues in Google's own Play store.
Quote:
"I thought this article might be of some interest, particularly if you have not already seen it," Apple general counsel Bruce Sewell wrote to FTC Chairwoman Edith Ramirez and Democratic Commissioner Julie Brill, pointing to a report that criticized Google's app store over the same issue of unauthorized purchases. The previously undisclosed email was obtained by POLITICO through a Freedom of Information Act request.
Apple has long faced issues over in-app purchases, with the company first landing in hot water with the FTC after multiple parental complaints over children over-spending within apps and several high profile stories of children spending thousands of dollars. While most of the focus has been on Apple, Google too has faced the same issues, as children were able to make purchases for up to 30 minutes after a parent entered a password, much as they could in the App Store before Apple implemented specific changes.

Apple was not happy to be singled out by the FTC over in-app purchases, as the company had previously settled a lawsuit levied at it over the issue. Under the terms of the lawsuit, Apple had agreed to provide iTunes credit and cash refunds to parents, but the FTC demanded more.

At the time, Tim Cook said the FTC's decision to sue over a previously settled case "smacked of double jeopardy," but agreed to the terms as it didn't "require us to do anything we weren't already going to do."

Apple officially began sending emails to affected iTunes users and issuing refunds in March. Google has thus far not been targeted by the FTC.

Article Link: Apple Tattled on Google to Draw FTC Attention to Similar Kids In-App Purchasing Issue
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:59 PM   #2
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

Tattled? Is this place being run by children?!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Macman1993
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Macman1993 Send a message via MSN to Macman1993 Send a message via Yahoo to Macman1993
I still don't see why this is a government issue. Its was clearly in the settings to disable the 30 minute window after entering a password. Apple should refund them because its the right thing to do, but I don't see why the government should be getting involved.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:00 PM   #4
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

This doesn't really seem like tattling; it seems more bizarre that Apple was being singled out over something Google was equally guilty of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobBongo View Post
Tattled? Is this place being run by children?!
Thumb resize.

Perhaps Freddie Lounds is behind this story.
AngerDanger is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Porco
macrumors 68000

This isn't telling the teacher your classmate is being naughty, it's massive companies who should be treated equally by the likes of the FTC. So I don't see the problem with Apple suggesting the FTC look at Google over the same issues.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:01 PM   #6
jon1987
macrumors regular

'Tattled'... Just love the language this site is using lately
jon1987 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:01 PM   #7
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Now roll that beautiful spin footage.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:04 PM   #8
hansonjohn590
macrumors 6502

"Tattled" on? Let me double check that my 4 year old niece didn't write this article.
hansonjohn590 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:04 PM   #9
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Come on Apple, no one likes a stool pigeon.
madsci954 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Komrad808
macrumors member

You mean Apple pointed the finger at Google also. IDK if "Tattled" is the word to describe it. When it comes to taking advantage of a family with money, especially with the younger kids. Apple said "ok, we were wrong, refund." Apple saw Google taking advantage of families too and said "stop and pay up too, its wrong we both stealing candy from kids."
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:07 PM   #11
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Apple wets diaper, blames Google

A spokespersons for Google issued this statement, “Apple is a poo-poo head”, and was afterwards put down for a nap.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:08 PM   #12
Fred Stein
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Fred Stein
I'm glad to see the FTC taking action. But where were they when phone companies have been cramming, when teen-agers racked up massive messaging charges for years, when airlines slam with extra charges, ditto cable/sat tv companies that keep adding on charges? I'm on "do not call" and get solicitors all the time.

As far as I can tell, both Apple and Google are FAR LESS guilty than so many others. Both have been quick to remedy. Maybe that is why they rate so highly in customer sat surveys.

Now, T-Mobile's CEO is fighting back too, basically making the same case as Apple and Google.

Is Apple tattling? or are they asking the FTC to play fair?

Maybe the FTC should start with companies that have low customer sat ratings to find the real predators.
Fred Stein is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:08 PM   #13
ChazUK
macrumors 603

I read "tattled" as "informed them of similar issues on a rival platform".

Can't see much wrong in that myself.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:12 PM   #14
d4rkc4sm
macrumors 6502

another quality story from macrumors. keep up the good work.
d4rkc4sm is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:13 PM   #15
numlock
macrumors 65816

since its affecting users beyond just the ios platform i cant see what is wrong with making the ftc aware of it. hopefully they are adequate enough in their job that they didnt need this heads up.

but i dont like the side of apple this shows.
numlock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:14 PM   #16
dogulas
macrumors newbie

Why would Tim Cook spend time complaining about what a "Toxic Hellstew" is doing? He brushes Android aside, saying it is pathetic and hardly worth mentioning, and then turns around and does this? Slightly inconsistent.
dogulas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:16 PM   #17
bearboy
macrumors member

Real classy Apple. If we're going down then we're taking you all with us mentality.
bearboy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:17 PM   #18
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

Apple and Google are getting grilled by hundreds of parents who trusted their kids with their money. Mostly the parents' fault… but (most) in-app purchases are stupid and should die, so I have no sympathy for either company
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:17 PM   #19
dogulas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by numlock View Post
since its affecting users beyond just the ios platform i cant see what is wrong with making the ftc aware of it. hopefully they are adequate enough in their job that they didnt need this heads up.
It is just inconsistent of Tim. One minute he is dismissing Android as having negligible impact or value on the industry, and the next he is concerning himself with it as if Android is on par with iOS. Says one thing at conferences, behaves differently elsewhere.
dogulas is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:18 PM   #20
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
This isn't telling the teacher your classmate is being naughty, it's massive companies who should be treated equally by the likes of the FTC. So I don't see the problem with Apple suggesting the FTC look at Google over the same issues.
Bingo, level the playing field.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:18 PM   #21
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

I think what Apple did was right considering the market share that Google holds. If I am correct, it is larger than Apple's, so therefore Google stood to profit more from the same thing the FTC was going after Apple for.

Last edited by firedept; Jul 9, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
firedept is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:20 PM   #22
dogulas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Bingo, level the playing field.
I agree. But Tim Cook does not publicly acknowledge Android to be even close to existing on the same playing field.
dogulas is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:20 PM   #23
pedromcm.pm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
Come on Apple, no one likes a stool pigeon.
Do you even know what you said? Why should able be treated differently from Google? Why do they have more responsibility? Why are you, someone with access to information, even saying this?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:20 PM   #24
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
I think what Apple did was right considering the market share that Google holds. If I am correct, it is larger that Apple's, so therefore Google stood to profit more from the same thing the FTC was going after Apple for.
The App Store actually produces more profit for Apple than Google Play produces for Google, currently.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:20 PM   #25
H2SO4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrad808 View Post
You mean Apple pointed the finger at Google also. IDK if "Tattled" is the word to describe it. When it comes to taking advantage of a family with money, especially with the younger kids. Apple said "ok, we were wrong, refund." Apple saw Google taking advantage of families too and said "stop and pay up too, its wrong we both stealing candy from kids."
You make it sound like Apple took a look at themselves and said, ‘Hmmm we can be more responsible if we….it’s the right thing to do’.
I’m not sure they did. What I do think is that Apple reacted to massive global pressure from parents, users and orgs like the consumers association.
I love Apple products but the company is cut throat make no mistake.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion