Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
how easy is it to take the 4S apart, is it basically the 2 screws on the bottom and it comes in half?

yes I know there is a writeup on Ifixit, but it isn't clear to me how if you have to pry the two half apart or not.

oomgomfg

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
San Francisco
How easy is it? That depends on how comfortable you are with taking things apart and putting them back together. You have to take the motherboard up to get to the two screws holding the power flex down, and to do that you need to basically take out everything holding the board down.

Once you get the board up, you will notice one of the screws is located right behind the cables from the front display. At this point you can either gamble trying to get the screw out while the screen is still in, or take the screen out just in case you don't break the cable. To take the screen out you will need to remove the speaker, the screws at 4 corners, and loosen up the 6 screws securing the sides.

All in all the things you will need to be careful of are:
Not damaging the battery when you pry it out for the first time
Not damaging the wifi antenna when you pry it up
Not breaking the charging port cable when you separate it from the board
Not breaking the LCD cable/not breaking the screen when you try to remove the power flex screws
Not breaking the volume button and front camera flex when you lift/put down the board
Not breaking anything when you put the phone back together
Not misplacing/losing screws when you take it apart

If you're careful about it and put aside an hour or two you should get through it ok even if you're doing it for the first time.

As for the original question, once you take out the two screws at the bottom, you can push the backside up and then lift it out.

ineel

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
how easy is it to take the 4S apart, is it basically the 2 screws on the bottom and it comes in half?

yes I know there is a writeup on Ifixit, but it isn't clear to me how if you have to pry the two half apart or not.

Your first time fixing your iPhone is kind of nerve wrecking. But fixing your phone is really easy and just follow the directions on ifixit. just do exactly as written you'll be fine. I've fixed countless iPhones and fixing the iPhone 4s doesn't have too many parts you can mess up. Just follow directions carefully and keep a track of all the screws/parts by labeling them on a blank piece of printer paper.

Only time I messed up was when i was replacing an iPhone 4's display and a piece of glass shard cut through the home button's ribbon cable. A $2 fix and 5 extra minutes and i fixed that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.