Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google's Chromecast and the Roku were the two highest-selling streaming media devices in the U.S. last year as the Apple TV fell to third place, according to new data from Parks Associates (via GigaOM).

apple_tv_roku_3-800x207.jpg
Both Google and Roku sold an estimated 3.8 million streaming media devices last year, with Apple selling just over 2 million Apple TVs. To date, Apple has sold over 20 million Apple TVs worldwide since launching the streaming device in 2007, while Roku has sold 8 million devices since its first media box in 2008.

A Parks Associates report last year noted that 14% of U.S. broadband households were using streaming media devices. The study also stated that 37% of those surveyed households used a Roku device while 24% used an Apple TV, making the Roku the most used set-top box in the U.S.

Recent rumors have suggested that Apple is working on a next-generation Apple TV, which may feature a streaming TV service through a partnership with Comcast and other cable-box like capabilities. Some reports have also speculated that a new Apple TV may include enhanced gaming capabilities, utilizing iOS gaming controllers and an App Store ecosystem to provide a console-like experience.

Article Link: Apple Sold 2 Million Apple TVs Last Year in US, Trailing Behind Chromecast and Roku

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
*stares at his unopened Chromecast box*
---
Edit:
I didn't buy it. Got it as a gift. Stop assuming things.

Last edited:

JRomero

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2006
I own all three, and I must say, the Apple TV takes the edge over the others. The Chromecast is pretty great, but since I'm already tied into the Apple ecosystem, the Apple TV just works better for me. The one thing the Chromecast exceeds at is Plex functionally. Roku is fine for use on bedroom TVs that don't need "full horsepower".

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
To me a non-jailbroken Apple tv is only good for airplay mirroring. If only it could mirror my PC so that I could stream steam games with it..

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I’m assuming the text should read…...

Both Google and Roku sold an estimated 3.8 million streaming media devices each last year?
Or is it between them?

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
I love my apple tv, but god damn is it a sloppy mess. Airplay with MacBook is still a laggy piece of crap no matter what the speed your internet and the ui is something that seems like an unfinished product. Not something apple would ever proudly sell.

And on that, apple DOESNT proudly sell the Apple TV. While they call it a hobby, there's no advertising for it and unless you go into a store already knowing what it is, you would probably pass by it assuming it was a Mac mini or something. Apple released this little box to sell more iTunes content. That's it. With every other product they do, they go full on. They actually work to make other things like Mac and iPhone and iPad a real finished product that represents apple in a good way.

The Apple TV? When was the last time it was even updated? A couple years ago? It's the strangest thing to see how much apple doesn't talk about it. It's like they put minimal effort behind it just to placate those that have iTunes libraries worth of stuff but they kinda set it aside in importance so they can work on the things that make them the real money. Like iPhone.

I'm purely talking out of my butt here, but I'm thinking that apple released this little Apple TV box to test market interest and gather data. Over the years, they developed a vision for how they WOULD like tv, but like jobs said on all things d, there isn't a viable "go to market solution for tv". It's not a problem of vision. It's how to bring it to market and it's a problem that still exists today. BUT. The market is changing. This is the internet age and I think apple already has a working fully developed prototype of a slick tv interface that would change everything. They are literally sitting on an amazing product and not releasing it until the market is ready. Again...talking out of my butt here, but I'm pretty sure apple already has a new product that would change everything and this piece of crap Apple TV box is not it.

Apple will string this little box out for a few more years and add little features here and there in minor update. Maybe even a little App Store and advanced gaming support. But it will always be the same general product. Until the full on Apple TV set happens

Watch this one of Steve jobs talking about tv http://youtu.be/-pSfOKMEbG0

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
And how do these numbers look like in the surprisingly large parts of the world that are not the US?

JelleVandeVelde

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
Or how an 'older' device like the Apple tv made Apple more profits than a 'new concept' like the chrome cast did for Google. Given the difference in price tag…

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I have two Apple TV 3's and Roku 3 and I must say I like my Roku a lot more just because of how much more is available for it.

Really all I can do on my ATV3 is Netflix and mirroring, mirroring works surprisingly well so I like that.

vs having native Plex support etc on the Roku.

I hope Apple TV stops becoming a side project and turns into something more.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
They sold more because Apple already has an established customer base. I bought my apple tv a couple of years ago. No need to upgrade as I have the latest. Lets see the figures when Apples new one arrives.

madgick

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
I love my Chromecast. The price tag and portability make it the best thing around. I have a Plex server with all my media and I can plug my Chromecast into anyone's TV to watch any of my stuff from. Nice for transforming a hotel room TV into your personal media hub too, if you travel a lot.

I wouldn't get an appleTV anymore

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
This is not the only field where Apple is loosing ground. I'm disappointed in Apple. Since I bought my iPad Air it has crashed multiple times more often then then iPad 2 I had before. Only after a few updates it's become a bit more reliable but I can't trust the device for creating reports.

Apple TV, not sure, I've got the latest version. It worked great a year ago, now it works fine but in combination with Plex it often restarts, just in the middle of the movie. Some say this is due of Plex software but others at Plex and some "independent" users stated that this has to do with the iPad3.
Either way, the "experience" I've with an iPad Air is less positive then when I had the iPad 2.

Then the Mac Pro. The device looks great and the usage of Thunderbolt 2 is great, especially for editing purposes when you need to load and safe 4K video material or do both at the same time. However, the machine is quite costly compared to a PC. It depends of course if you're into using thunderbolt 2, and if you do the Mac Pro is a fine machine and even worth paying a bit more money for it. If you do professional editing but you don't make use of thunderbolt 2 then you might consider buying a PC version...

Some people will go with a PC instead of the new mac pro since the news that upgrades will last until the end of 2015.

I think Apple lost it's magic to be honest. That is for many users not for me, I still love Mac's surroundings meaning it's operating system.

Anyway, I sure miss the "think different" periode.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I own 2 Roku 3 and a roku stick.

They're pretty good if you can find content.
Apple TV I almost never use for anything other than mirroring.

I would say an HTPC (or a Mac) connected to a 100 inch high quality screen and a high quality projector is best by far compared to doing the same with Roku 3 or appletv.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I love my Chromecast. The price tag and portability make it the best thing around. I have a Plex server with all my media and I can plug my Chromecast into anyone's TV to watch any of my stuff from. Nice for transforming a hotel room TV into your personal media hub too, if you travel a lot.

I wouldn't get an appleTV anymore

I'm thinking of buying Chromecast as well, just for traveling purposes. The Apple TV is much bigger to take along.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
I'm surprised Apple sold 2 million. People are probably taking one look at the UI and buying something else. I don't think my library is particularly large ( ~650 movies, ~80 tv series ), but it's a huge PITA using the remote to scroll from top to bottom. It's getting where it's quicker to use the Remote app. Perhaps that's the plan, get people used to using an iOS device to control it....

My ATV's do pretty much what I need them to, but without the ability to add channels / apps / whatever they're going to be called, I'm finding more that I'm using other sources to watch things ( Amazon Instant, NowTV ), which is taking me out of the Apple ecosystem, and that's something I'm fairly certain Apple don't want....

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Any *new* Apple TV with steaming service from the likes from HBO will always be to cable companies because their scared.... It only keep people like me pirating more, because i can't watch HBO content :)

If you ask they, they are doing this to themselves.... Any limitations are... where is be music, or movies... Its bad, but what exactly are they doing about it to prevent it outside of the U.S ?

*edit. That Roku is a big piece of plastic.. :O

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
My ATV3 has been in the box for 9 months now; I need to sell it as its completely useless for me without plex or xbmc functionality

garevans

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
To me a non-jailbroken Apple tv is only good for airplay mirroring. If only it could mirror my PC so that I could stream steam games with it..

You might be interested in AirParrott
http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Yeah sure, apple should be more helpful when it comes to watching Mkv-movies you are not willing to pay for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.