Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neryus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Hi guys!

I recently bought an late 2013 iMac with the i5 processor and the 780m graphics card. When I play WoW on ultra settings, and fps go below 40 (in cities f.ex.), the game puts a massive delay on mouse and keyboard interactions (also chat). The mouse cursor itself is fine, but clicking, draging and typing is all delayed by about 0.5 seconds. The best way you can see it, is by moving the mouse up and down over the red buttons in the menu. You can see that the buttons are highlighted with a delay. On lower settings or not so graphic intense places, it does not happen.

I already tried to play with v-sync, triple buffering, hardeware cursor and the reduce input lag settings. Nothing.

I read on the Blizzard Mac forums that this problem is there since OS X 10.7. It does not look like someone solved it so far.

Any suggestions?

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
But is this happening on specific models ? I've never met this issue when I was playing this on my iMac 2010 model, although there were times that the game brought the gpu/fps to its knees.

I do recall that the real bottleneck for WoW specifically, is the CPU. So I'd test the following:

1. Is this happening when playing in window mode ?
2. When the problem occurs, how's the cpu load looks on the activity monitor app ?

Neryus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
The window mode does not matter, it's the same for each setting. What OS were you running when you played it? As I said, this happens since 10.7.

The CPU bottleneck assumption is correct. If I don't find a solution, I'll try to run it in Parallels, since WoW doesn't care too much about only being able to use 1 GB of Graphics RAM.

I'll check for the CPU load later today when I'm home.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I've had my iMac until Mavericks 10.9.1 was out - about that time I sold it. By that time I've also stopped playing WoW altogether. Always used the latest OS X versions and upgrades. Played on it's native resolution (27-inch model). However, this iMac had a i7 cpu. I wonder if I've never met this problem because of that.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Try Mach Tech Support forum on Blizz' site, sounds weird to have input lag at 40 fps. I get that when fps is in teens, but 30-40 should be perfect

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.