Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:24 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iTunes 11.3 Expands iTunes Extras as Apple TV Finally Adds Support and Apple Plans for iOS 8

Apple today released iTunes 11.3, including several improvements to iTunes Extras, including new features for HD movies. This new content will be added automatically to previously purchased iTunes movies for free.

Alongside the launch of iTunes 11.3, Apple has also announced that the Apple TV is finally supporting iTunes Extras with the 6.2 software update released late last month. The first-generation Apple TV supported iTunes Extras, but the feature was lost when Apple revamped the Apple TV back in 2010.

Finally, Apple has also announced that iTunes Extras will be coming to iOS with the public release of iOS 8, which is slated for this fall.

Quote:
iTunes 11.3 includes all-new iTunes Extras for HD movies. iTunes Extras can include behind-the-scenes videos, short films, high-resolution image galleries, director's commentary, scenes, and more. These immersive iTunes Extras can also be enjoyed on Apple TV with Software Update 6.2 now, and will be available on iOS 8 this fall.

New iTunes Extras will be automatically added to your previously purchased HD movies as they become available - at no additional charge.
iTunes 11.3 can be downloaded from the software update tool in the Mac App Store or Apple's iTunes web page.

Update: Apple has added a feature page [iTunes Store] to the iTunes Store highlighting iTunes Extras and compatible movies. The page also includes a promotional video for iTunes Extras.

Article Link: iTunes 11.3 Expands iTunes Extras as Apple TV Finally Adds Support and Apple Plans for iOS 8
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

I have never seen Apple release an update this early.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:26 AM   #3
milo
macrumors 603

Does it include making iTunes match no longer suck?

No?

Oh well...
milo is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:26 AM   #4
markfc
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to markfc Send a message via AIM to markfc Send a message via MSN to markfc Send a message via Skype™ to markfc
iTunes Extras are still a thing? I thought this went the way of ping ;-)
markfc is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:27 AM   #5
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

Finally, good to see iTunes Extras on the Apple TV.

Though wondering HOW iTunes Extras will work on iOS...will it be yet another Apple App or within Videos or somewhere.
BJMRamage is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:27 AM   #6
kepardue
macrumors 6502

This is fantastic. Installing now, but I'm wondering how the iTunes Extras will work? Will it automatically begin to download HD versions of the iTunes Extras content I have now? Will the Extras themselves be modified with new content (depending on the movie and studio)? Will I be notified of what's new in any way?
kepardue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Brenster
macrumors regular

Good news on Apple TV and iTunes Extras. Only got a couple of films with them myself, mainly though redemption codes in BluRay packs i.e. Prometheus.

Now for iTunes LP on iOS/iPad please?
Brenster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:27 AM   #8
d4rkc4sm
macrumors 6502

pretty yawn inducing. people still care about itunes extras
d4rkc4sm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:28 AM   #9
BillabongJoe
macrumors newbie

Every time there is an update to Apple TV it just makes me think that a major refresh is further away, which makes me sad
BillabongJoe is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:28 AM   #10
newdeal
macrumors 68000

I just wish it wouldn't crash on me and wouldn't have issues with sporadic home sharing and pausing during video playback during home sharing
newdeal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:28 AM   #11
usersince86
macrumors regular

Seems like iTunes is due for an overhaul, from the ground up... Maybe it's just me, but it feels clunky as it has grown to do much more than music...
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:30 AM   #12
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by usersince86 View Post
Seems like iTunes is due for an overhaul, from the ground up... Maybe it's just me, but it feels clunky as it has grown to do much more than music...
Due for an overhaul is an understatement. I'm glad I rarely have to use it.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:30 AM   #13
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
It should do all it does right now, but they should do a rewrite. It became way too slow for an app this important and frequently used.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:33 AM   #14
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

what are the chances of iTunes and thus iOS getting native support for non MP4 video formats ?

Or is this already possible and I'm just ignorant on the matter (which is highly possible)
irfaanfaki is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:33 AM   #15
-RJ-
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Well, they didn't show iTunes on WWDC, and the new, red icon we saw when they showed Yosemite is not present in the developer's preview.. iTunes might be the only program which still has the old 3D-looking traffic light buttons in DP3.. So maybe a rewrite for the fall release of OS X?
-RJ- is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:36 AM   #16
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

It is really great we can soon enjoy these truly immerse extras across all our devices. I for one am happy with this news and it's a big advantage of being invested in Apple's platforms when buying and consuming content.
dumastudetto is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:39 AM   #17
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Great. Now how about letting rentals access them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfaanfaki View Post
what are the chances of iTunes and thus iOS getting native support for non MP4 video formats ?

Or is this already possible and I'm just ignorant on the matter (which is highly possible)
Next to none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RJ- View Post
Well, they didn't show iTunes on WWDC, and the new icon we saw on the Yosemite preview is not present in the developer's beta.. So maybe a rewrite for the fall release of OS X?
I wouldn't expect a rewrite, just a Yosemite UI makeover.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:40 AM   #18
KazKam
macrumors member

"New iTunes Extras will be automatically added to your previously purchased HD movies as they become available - at no additional charge." I hope that doesn't mean I'm going to have 300GB of iTunes Extras downloads waiting in my queue when I get home that I can't get rid of?

I hope they finally made it so it's an option to NOT download the extras with a purchased movie, or have it sit in your DL queue forever, begging to be downloaded every time you connect to the store. I just want the movie, not the rest of that crap hogging my bandwidth and hard drive.

I've been enjoying not having to navigate menus and extras and previews. I just wanna watch the damn movie. /rant

Last edited by KazKam; Jul 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Removed redundant statement.
KazKam is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:42 AM   #19
UhFive
macrumors member

I have never even heard of iTunes extra...what a crock of crap this is. Bring us the features we ask for!
UhFive is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:42 AM   #20
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
It is really great we can soon enjoy these truly immerse extras across all our devices. I for one am happy with this news and it's a big advantage of being invested in Apple's platforms when buying and consuming content.
I wonder if this is in part due to Disney's Movies on the Go app, or whatever it was. That linked to your iTunes account and allowed viewing on Extras on the iOS devices.
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:43 AM   #21
Zxxv
macrumors 65816

itunes extras in iOS available for iPhone 5c , iPhone 5s, iPad mini with retina, and iPad air with retina

place your bets
Zxxv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:43 AM   #22
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

Don't know what iTunes extra is nor do I care. I guess I'll update either way.
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:44 AM   #23
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Does it include making iTunes match no longer suck?

No?

Oh well...
It normally can get my music to the cloud and after that it does it's job decently.

Though yes, I wish we would see more updates for match.

The music app on ios should work better with it, we should see more controls updating what is in the cloud. And perhaps a web based version to keep iTunes from getting even more bulky.

I would love to be able to bring up icloud.com and stream my itunes library from anywhere. Perhaps jump in quality of music, a specific feature to retrieve either explicit or non-explicit versions of a song, how hard is it to offer that as a right click in iTunes?

iTunes match still feels half done, though my library is to big to not have it nowadays.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:44 AM   #24
neilmacd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkc4sm View Post
pretty yawn inducing. people still care about itunes extras
The lack of Apple TV 2/3 support was the only thing keeping me from switching away from Bluray. Certainly not yawning here.
neilmacd is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:45 AM   #25
AppleInTheMud
macrumors 6502

Still nothing WOW about this... Apple should open up for local app's like Smart TV's has been doing for the last 3 years

Living in the US AppleTV is cool. Outside of the US it's close to useless.
AppleInTheMud is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion