Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Misfit Unveils 'Beddit' Smart Bed System for Sleep Monitoring

Misfit, the company behind the sleek Shine activity monitor, today unveiled its newest product, the Misfit Beddit Sleep System. Using a built-in sleep sensor that is described as "the world's thinnest," the Beddit monitors sleep cycles and sleep quality through heart rate, respiration, movement, snoring, and sound.

The "paper thin" Beddit sensor is designed to be placed under on a user's mattress, just under the sheets. It displays collects data on sleep habits, measuring physiological signals and wirelessly transmitting them to a smartphone. The accompanying Misfit app then uses the data to draw insights on sleep habits, which are shared with the user.

Quote:
"Shine delivered on the important function of activity tracking, but we saw that sleep tracking was one of the most engaging features because Shine does it automatically, unlike other activity monitors," said Sonny Vu, CEO and founder of Misfit. "With Beddit, we're making our sleep tracking functionality even more robust. Not only are we able to measure more, but even less is required of the user--a frictionless experience."
The Beddit's sleep tracking capabilities are designed to work alongside the Shine's movement tracking abilities (and its own less advanced sleep tracking), with the combination of both apps offering a "comprehensive solution for 24/5 wellness monitoring."

Beddit first appeared in an Indiegogo campaign back in 2013, which raised more than $500,000, but now the company has partnered up with Misfit.

The Beddit Sleep Monitor can be purchased from the Misfit website for $149.99.

Article Link: Misfit Unveils 'Beddit' Smart Bed System for Sleep Monitoring
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:11 PM   #2
budselectjr
macrumors 6502

Are sleep monitors accurate on memory foam mattresses?
budselectjr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:12 PM   #3
stiligFox
macrumors 6502a

While normally I'd say this might be tech for techs sake, this might come in handy for people who have sleeping issues -- a good place to start in learning how their sleep is not as it should be.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:42 PM   #4
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by budselectjr View Post
Are sleep monitors accurate on memory foam mattresses?
The original Indiegogo campaign answered a lot of questions like that -- it says it is compatible with memory foam mattresses.

FAQ section here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...to-a-smart-bed
jclo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:44 PM   #5
FactVsOpinion
macrumors member

And what about couples? Seems you could only get a combined report for both people :-/
FactVsOpinion is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:45 PM   #6
jhtrico1850
macrumors regular

There are lots of FREE sleep monitor apps.
jhtrico1850 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:47 PM   #7
JamesInLA
macrumors member

Seems an unfortunate name. Grindr for Reddit users, or some such.
JamesInLA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:49 PM   #8
budselectjr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclo View Post
The original Indiegogo campaign answered a lot of questions like that -- it says it is compatible with memory foam mattresses.

FAQ section here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...to-a-smart-bed
Nice. Thanks.
budselectjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:52 PM   #9
surfingarbo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactVsOpinion View Post
And what about couples? Seems you could only get a combined report for both people :-/
The only people who would buy product are single male geeks; so Misfit predict this will not be a problem.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:09 PM   #10
SmoMo
macrumors regular

I always sleep completely soundly every night, after drinking my night time cocoa that my friendly housemate prepares for me each evening.

This stupid sensor is completely inaccurate, according to its report I only had 30 minutes of calm sleep and then 'was repeatedly pounding the mattress for the next hour'.

Luckily for me my housemate has offered to take it back to the Apple Store for me so I can get a full refund.
SmoMo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:02 PM   #11
jocamero
macrumors member

I wonder if you can install one sensor for each side of the bed so two people can get separate readings.
jocamero is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Crzyrio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
There are lots of FREE sleep monitor apps.
That require your phone to be placed faced down on your bed and kept on all night.

This is not for everyone, but it will most definitely be MUCH better than the FREE apps for those that do need it.
Crzyrio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:53 PM   #13
jhtrico1850
macrumors regular

I'm thinking about buying a dropcam for this. It seems more accurate and costs the same as Beddit lol.
jhtrico1850 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 04:14 PM   #14
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Sleep Cycle has been serving me well for months now. I'd been grumbling about alarms rudely yanking me from a deep sleep, and now I wake just fine as it waits for an optimal time to start buzzing. Once awake, first thing I do is see what my sleep pattern was and get an idea what made it good/bad.

Beddit sounds good too, maybe better, but $150 for an external sensor seems overkill when a slim phone and 2m Lighting cable do the job just fine - and ensure the phone is charged by morning.
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 06:00 PM   #15
Lostanddamned
macrumors 6502a

How long is the sensor? Will it stretch across a double bed? I ask because I sleep pretty much all over one.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 06:21 PM   #16
captain kaos
macrumors 65816

Nice, but as a user of the sleep cycle alarms, of which i've tried most, im really hoping for the same tracking with a vibrate alarm on the iwatch.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:23 PM   #17
ipedro
macrumors 68020

I prefer the Withings Aura since it would fit in with the Ecosystem of fitness gadgets I've accumulated already.

One question that I haven't found an answer to is how it will perform with people who have dogs. I sleep in about the same spot in bed but my dog jumps on and off the bed — usually near my feet — a few times a night. I don't notice but I wonder if Aura will. Will it interpret my dog's movements as me waking up?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:46 PM   #18
carjakester
macrumors 68020

Id rather use my fitbit, love the sleep tracking on it. Plus its on my wrist already
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:42 AM   #19
Lostanddamned
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
I prefer the Withings Aura since it would fit in with the Ecosystem of fitness gadgets I've accumulated already.

One question that I haven't found an answer to is how it will perform with people who have dogs. I sleep in about the same spot in bed but my dog jumps on and off the bed — usually near my feet — a few times a night. I don't notice but I wonder if Aura will. Will it interpret my dog's movements as me waking up?
The problem is, it doesn’t appear that the Aura is actually for sale as yet…
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:51 PM   #20
tmarks11
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
I'd been grumbling about alarms rudely yanking me from a deep sleep, and now I wake just fine as it waits for an optimal time to start buzzing.
That is all good, unless you are like 65% of the country who HAS to wake up on time in the morning to get to a job at the start of the work day.

"Wake you up in in the desired time window"? My desired time window is T-40 minutes from when I have to leave for work, +/- 5 minutes. I don't think that 5 minutes one way or another is going to make me feel more rested.

But who am I kidding, I am not the target audience for this thing, since I wake up 13 or of 14 mornings without an alarm sounding, after a refreshing 6 hours of sleep.
tmarks11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion