Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:54 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Windows XP On Intel Mac Contest: Can You Get Windows XP Dual...

Category: Mac Websites
Link: Windows XP On Intel Mac Contest: Can You Get Windows XP Dual-Booting On A Mac?
Description:: Improbable? Most likely

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:09 PM   #2
dornoforpyros
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to dornoforpyros Send a message via MSN to dornoforpyros
ohh $100 fancy

Quote:
The Contest
My MacBook is shipping on the 15th of February. I told my boss that this would replace my IBM desktop and I could boot Windows XP on it. I am still confident it can be done. I am pledging $100 of my own money and offering anyone else who would like the instructions on how to Dual boot these two operating systems the ability to donate some of their money into the pot as a reward for the person / group that can make dual-booting Mac OS X and Windows XP happen on an Intel Mac. Good Luck,

Colin
Hope your boss is the forgiving type

Last edited by Nermal; Jan 22, 2006 at 11:35 PM.
dornoforpyros is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:27 PM   #3
Fiveos22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Fiveos22 Send a message via Yahoo to Fiveos22
I'm betting that someone will have a hacked version of xp running on intel macs by the end of this week (Saturday January 28th). Any takers?
Fiveos22 is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:30 PM   #4
DMann
Banned

Here, Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveos22
I'm betting that someone will have a hacked version of xp running on intel macs by the end of this week (Saturday January 28th). Any takers?
I'm in!
DMann is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:39 PM   #5
Sogo
macrumors 6502

Wow, nothing like a contest to motivate people to get XP on an apple computer. Would have been better if the prize was more, but whatever.
Sogo is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:46 PM   #6
pvanb
macrumors newbie

Heh. I told my manager the same thing, but he didn't bite.
pvanb is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:55 PM   #7
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

What we need is an official response from MS. Right now the theorizing is all over the board. Does EFI have the compatibility module included? Or is it because Apple disabled UDF or El Torito volume support?
No one has a streight answer right now. What needs to happen is more of these Macintels need to ship into the hands of geeks. Once that happens and once there is a somewhat critical mass in geekdom results will start to happen. Right now x86 iMacs are scarse. . .MacBook Pros are nonexistent. It will happen one way or antoher even if someone has to write a compatibility driver for EFI to support such volumes and then create a bootloader that passes off startup to ntldr and from there loads Windows. It will happen. I have NO doubt about it.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:37 AM   #8
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAddict
What we need is an official response from MS. Right now the theorizing is all over the board. Does EFI have the compatibility module included? Or is it because Apple disabled UDF or El Torito volume support?
No one has a streight answer right now. What needs to happen is more of these Macintels need to ship into the hands of geeks. Once that happens and once there is a somewhat critical mass in geekdom results will start to happen. Right now x86 iMacs are scarse. . .MacBook Pros are nonexistent. It will happen one way or antoher even if someone has to write a compatibility driver for EFI to support such volumes and then create a bootloader that passes off startup to ntldr and from there loads Windows. It will happen. I have NO doubt about it.
I think this is dead on. It will happen, and it probably won't be very long.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:37 AM   #9
Peace
macrumors P6

Like I've said before..
All ya gotta do is write some code
Peace is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:40 AM   #10
ryanw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ok so MacBookPro's don't exist yet, BUT there are tons of iMacs out there that have the intel chips in em..
ryanw is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:57 AM   #11
Nermal

Yes, but remember that a lot of those "tons" are in the hands of ordinary users, not "hacker geeks"

I think getting Linux to work will be the first step. It should be trivial to boot Windows from a Linux bootloader.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:56 AM   #12
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

my question is. what happens, when the inevitable happens (meaning, the macintels are running any windows variant) AND let as us mac "newbies" start plugging in their no name scanner or printer or whatever and installing drivers and everything. and it crashes "windows" or should i say the mac!?!

and would these people go complaining and say "the mac is unstable (and expensive)"?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:17 AM   #13
Nermal

Most people wouldn't buy a Mac to use as a Windows computer. Most people who need Windows would use Virtual PC or similar, as rebooting is a huge pain. With the current version of VPC, things like printing use the native OS X driver, and I expect it to work the same way in the Intel version.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it too much
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:29 AM   #14
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
Most people wouldn't buy a Mac to use as a Windows computer. Most people who need Windows would use Virtual PC or similar, as rebooting is a huge pain. With the current version of VPC, things like printing use the native OS X driver, and I expect it to work the same way in the Intel version.
I don't know about that... I think there are at least a few people in the same position this guy seems to be in- namely they see it as a way of getting a Mac at work. I know people where I work have talked about it.

Being able to boot Windows gives everyone around you the warm fuzzies-- much more than emulation does. They know you'll be compatible with the rest of the office...

It's more about being able to run Mac OS on your Windows machine than the other way around.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:55 AM   #15
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw
Ok so MacBookPro's don't exist yet, BUT there are tons of iMacs out there that have the intel chips in em..
Ton is relative though. Where are those "ton o' iMacs" going?
Most geeks can, and do, build their own computers. Not so with laptops. I expect that there is going to be more work done with the laptops then the iMacs. But obviously this is just a guess.

Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:57 AM   #16
gekko513
macrumors 601

The prize is now $622 thanks to donations and it will probably continue to grow.
gekko513 is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:58 AM   #17
aranhamo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it too much
Last I heard, Microsoft was still kind of wishy-washy on creating an Intel-Mac version of VPC. And I understand that the PowerPC version will not run under Rosetta. So VPC may not be an option for people with Intel-based Macs.
aranhamo is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:59 AM   #18
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by redAPPLE
my question is. what happens, when the inevitable happens (meaning, the macintels are running any windows variant) AND let as us mac "newbies" start plugging in their no name scanner or printer or whatever and installing drivers and everything. and it crashes "windows" or should i say the mac!?!

and would these people go complaining and say "the mac is unstable (and expensive)"?

FUD alert orange! Repeat we are at FUD alert orange!

Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:25 AM   #19
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

I just donated $50. If it gets this project up and running I consider it well worth the money.

Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:29 AM   #20
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
I'll soon have my iMac, I wonder if I can figure out it's secret. Haha that would be an interesting way to pay off my iMac hahahaha
LimeiBook86 is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 01:55 PM   #21
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Current Total: $878

This is after 1 day of being up. If this somehow gets to $10,000 (Doubt it.) I think there are going to be people out there who will take this very seriously. Hell a couple of Windows programmers could get into the act.

Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:06 PM   #22
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Current Total: $878

Hell a couple of Windows programmers could get into the act.
you're gettin warmer!!
Peace is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 05:59 PM   #23
Fiveos22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Fiveos22 Send a message via Yahoo to Fiveos22
Quote:
If this somehow gets to $10,000 (Doubt it.)
$2450...that's a helluva response so far.
Fiveos22 is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:09 PM   #24
truz
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to truz
Does anyone know if anyone has tried windows xp x64?
truz is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:20 PM   #25
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveos22
$2450...that's a helluva response so far.

Yah and only on day two!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion