Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:20 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
MLB Rolling Out Second iBeacon Phase At All-Star Game, At Bat Updated With Live Streams




Earlier this year, Major League Baseball began installing thousands of iBeacons in ballparks around the country, putting dozens of the beacons in stadiums in Boston, Milwaukee, San Diego, and San Francisco, and more.

Considered to be one of the largest iBeacon rollouts in the world, the initial plan saw the beacons used in conjunction with the At the Ballpark app. Thus far, the iBeacons have been used in some cases to check fans in to stadiums and to send notifications and offers, but beacon usage is still in the early stages.

Major League Baseball is now entering its second phase of development with iBeacons, according to TechCrunch, and is planning to debut a special project at the 2014 All-Star Game at Target Field. Target Field will use iBeacons to provide content and interactive features to in-park exhibits.
Quote:
With the introduction of interactive ballpark attractions at Target Field for the All-Star Game, MLBAM will debut its second phase of iBeacon technology at MLB ballparks. Fans attending All-Star events at Target Field with At the Ballpark on their iPhone (iOS 7 required) will be able to use iBeacon when visiting these attractions, offering a unique mobile perspective through original content automatically delivered to their iPhone. The locations in Target Field are: The Golden Glove; Twins Digital Clubhouse; 2 Gingers Pub; Target Field Ballpark Model; 573 and Herb Carneal Pressbox; Kirby Puckett Atrium; Rod Carew Atrium; The Townball Tavern; and Target Plaza.
MLB has expressed a desire to expand iBeacons to be able to provide point of interest information, concessions, in-stadium directions, loyalty and rewards programs, shopping, and more, with individual teams having significant input and control over what fans will see. It appears that Target Field will be the first major experiment with interactive iBeacon features.

MLB has also introduced new updates to its At Bat and At the Ballpark apps, with At Bat gaining live streams of the All-Star Game (which will require an MLB.TV Premium subscription), the All-Star Futures Game, and the Home Run Derby.

MLB At Bat is a free download from the App Store for iPhone and iPad, but requires a subscription of $2.99/month or $9.99/year. [Direct Link]

MLB At the Ballpark is also a free download from the App Store for the iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: MLB Rolling Out Second iBeacon Phase At All-Star Game, At Bat Updated With Live Streams
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:33 PM   #2
TEG
macrumors 604
 
TEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Langley, Washington
Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
At Bat only requires a subscription to listen to the Radio Broadcasts, or an additional subscription for Live Video. All other aspects are free.
__________________
Apple and Dell are the only ones in this industry making money. They make it by being Wal-Mart. We make it by innovation, - Steve Jobs
The Tegian Zone-Glass Onion Radio
TEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:40 PM   #3
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
At Bat only requires a subscription to listen to the Radio Broadcasts, or an additional subscription for Live Video. All other aspects are free.
Do you get highlights for free though? I have a full MLB.TV account so I'm not sure what free users get.

I know with the NHL you have to pay for highlights. I think it's the same with NBA as well.
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:54 PM   #4
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Does anyone use iBeacons? Seriously, not just theoretically?
__________________
iPhone 4 (black) iTouch 4 (white) iPod Nano (3rd gen)
TWSS37 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylaffer View Post
Do you get highlights for free though? I have a full MLB.TV account so I'm not sure what free users get.

I know with the NHL you have to pay for highlights. I think it's the same with NBA as well.
If you have premium MLB.TV then you can watch all games live except teams "in market" where you are watching. You just have to log in to your MLB acct via the At Bat app.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:06 PM   #6
The Barron
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
In One Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by twss37 View Post
does anyone use ibeacons? Seriously, not just theoretically?
no
The Barron is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:11 PM   #7
macduke
macrumors 68030
 
macduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Columbia, MO
Now if only the NFL would get their head out of their…
__________________
MacBook Pro R-Type / Quad 2.6GHz Core i7 / 2880×1800 / 16GB / 512GB SSD
Canon 7D w/grip / 24-105L / 100-400L / Sony RX100
64GB iPad Mini Retina LTE / 64GB iPhone 5 / 8GB Original iPhone / Xbox One
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
Now if only the NFL would get their head out of their…
...contracts?

NFL is making billions by licensing out mobile and live out of market feeds to Verizon and DirecTV. Don't expect anything to change. It's one stop selling for the NFL, much easier than having to sell subscriptions one by one. I'm sure if MLB could get that kind of $ they'd do it to.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Frisco
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal, Canada
Does anyone actually watch the most boring sport in the World?
__________________
Frisco
Frisco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:29 PM   #10
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a
 
69Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Former ISIS HQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
...contracts?

NFL is making billions by licensing out mobile and live out of market feeds to Verizon and DirecTV. Don't expect anything to change. It's one stop selling for the NFL, much easier than having to sell subscriptions one by one. I'm sure if MLB could get that kind of $ they'd do it to.
100% this. The NFL is pretty much a license to print money.

As for iBeacons

Apple needs to come up with some compelling use or I have a feeling they will go the way of the dodo.
__________________
Personal use case. Nothing else matters.
69Mustang is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:32 PM   #11
chrisbru
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Does anyone actually watch the most boring sport in the World?
Soccer? Yeah, millions of people have been watching during this year's world cup.

Or did you mean WNBA?

If you mean baseball, kindly show yourself the door and don't let it hit your ass on the way out. Baseball is the best sport in the world.
chrisbru is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:37 PM   #12
cerote
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I seem more interested into the Beer Vending machines they put into the stadium in time for the All star game.
cerote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:19 PM   #13
usersince86
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
$10 a year for the audio of ALL MLB games is a steal that Billy Hamilton would be proud of.
__________________
More stuff than I need... but not as much as I want.
usersince86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 04:55 PM   #14
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
If you have premium MLB.TV then you can watch all games live except teams "in market" where you are watching. You just have to log in to your MLB acct via the At Bat app.
I'm aware of that. What I'm asking is if users that don't have any kind of paid account can see game highlights.
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:15 PM   #15
rdlink
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylaffer View Post
I'm aware of that. What I'm asking is if users that don't have any kind of paid account can see game highlights.
Yes, you can see highlights even if you don't have an MLB Premium subscription. I let mine lapse this year, and I am able to watch highlights. They also give a free "game of the day" every day, so you can watch that even if you don't have Premium.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by usersince86 View Post
$10 a year for the audio of ALL MLB games is a steal that Billy Hamilton would be proud of.
I have a different viewpoint on that. Given what MLB already makes from TV rights, etc., and the fact that the radio broadcasts are free over the air they should make it part of the free app.

----------

Scratch my last statement. Apparently the Game of the Day is now part of a revenue subscription package. Greedy a**es!
__________________
Desktop, Desktop, Laptop, Phone, Tablet
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 06:40 PM   #16
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
I have a different viewpoint on that. Given what MLB already makes from TV rights, etc., and the fact that the radio broadcasts are free over the air they should make it part of the free app.
Sure that's true, but nobody lives in a place where all radio broadcasts are available. That's a big advantage over what's available FTA. Plus, the quality is much better than AM radio, which many teams are on. Not to mention the fact that a lot of teams still have some games FTA on TV, but you have to pay for that on MLB.TV too.
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 06:42 PM   #17
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
I have a different viewpoint on that. Given what MLB already makes from TV rights, etc., and the fact that the radio broadcasts are free over the air they should make it part of the free app.
What the traffic will bear.

And a steal that Dee Gordon would be proud out. Really!
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:04 AM   #18
rdlink
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
What the traffic will bear.
I get it. Market driven, and all. But that's why they're not getting my $10. I refuse to encourage their greed. Then again, I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth where MLB media is concerned. Spent $130 a year on MLB Premium for several years when I lived in other parts of the country, so I could watch my home team's games. But the product sucked quite a bit, and even though it was proven and obvious that the issues were on their end their tech people constantly only replied that users needed to check their own settings. Then don't even get me started on the fact that they pushed those stupid MLB gear and Umpire school commercials on us for a paid product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
And a steal that Dee Gordon would be proud out. Really!
The only guy in MLB who can sometimes steal first base.
__________________
Desktop, Desktop, Laptop, Phone, Tablet
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:05 AM   #19
4jasontv
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I have an antenna, but I don't pay for cable, because none of the cable providers will run a wire to my place. (I don't live in the middle of nowhere, its just a new community that requires underground wires, and no wants to pay to lay it.) This means that my local team is not available to me, because games don't air on a local broadcast network, they air on a dedicated cable network. I live almost two hours from the stadium, and so seeing games in person would be difficult.

I can't watch baseball without MLB.tv, and even with it I can't see my home team.

It's all very frustrating. I use the MLB app because it's one of the best sports app, but I really wish there was a way to voice my frustration to someone who would care.

iBeacons at the park could be cool. Here is what I would want:
1. Order and pay for food and beer that is delivered to my seat.
2. Queue times for the restrooms.
3. Ability to transfer paper tickets to eTickets.
4. Live streams while in the park.
5. A place to plug my phone in. I have been to games that are over 5 hours long.
4jasontv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:50 AM   #20
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
I get it. Market driven, and all. But that's why they're not getting my $10. I refuse to encourage their greed. Then again, I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth where MLB media is concerned. Spent $130 a year on MLB Premium for several years when I lived in other parts of the country, so I could watch my home team's games. But the product sucked quite a bit, and even though it was proven and obvious that the issues were on their end their tech people constantly only replied that users needed to check their own settings. Then don't even get me started on the fact that they pushed those stupid MLB gear and Umpire school commercials on us for a paid product.
From what I am seeing, MLB is weak on tech overall. The web sites for MLB and the teams are poorly organized. The Dodgers moved our season tickets to "paperless" this season, meaning really that it's our paper instead of their paper. The online ticket management system is a total nightmare and I presume this is the system all MLB teams are going to, if they haven't already. It is not even half-baked. So it doesn't shock me at all that other things aren't working. MLB needs to forget about iBeacon until they get the basics right.

Quote:
The only guy in MLB who can sometimes steal first base.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 01:29 PM   #21
rdlink
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
From what I am seeing, MLB is weak on tech overall. The web sites for MLB and the teams are poorly organized. The Dodgers moved our season tickets to "paperless" this season, meaning really that it's our paper instead of their paper. The online ticket management system is a total nightmare and I presume this is the system all MLB teams are going to, if they haven't already. It is not even half-baked. So it doesn't shock me at all that other things aren't working. MLB needs to forget about iBeacon until they get the basics right
Yeah, it would seem to me that MLB would have had no problem deploying a smartphone enabled ticketing system by now. For season ticket holders I don't understand why they couldn't create RFID cards that you can carry into the stadium sort of like a lot of the ski resorts do now. They could even set it up so that, if you print tickets for a particular game (i.e. to give them to a friend or sell them) your card would lose the ability to get into that particular game. Alternatively, if the paper tickets were used your card would lose the ability for that game.
__________________
Desktop, Desktop, Laptop, Phone, Tablet
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:46 PM   #22
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
Yeah, it would seem to me that MLB would have had no problem deploying a smartphone enabled ticketing system by now. For season ticket holders I don't understand why they couldn't create RFID cards that you can carry into the stadium sort of like a lot of the ski resorts do now. They could even set it up so that, if you print tickets for a particular game (i.e. to give them to a friend or sell them) your card would lose the ability to get into that particular game. Alternatively, if the paper tickets were used your card would lose the ability for that game.
In theory you can go paperless with the MLB AtTheBallpark app. The problem is the implementation is clueless. I just looked at the app and it shows only one game we attended in April, not the tickets we have for tomorrow's game, or anything in between. Trying to use it for getting into the park would seem to be a mistake and I can't imagine using it for reserved parking. I haven't seen anyone try yet.

The issue with a card is that most season tickets are shared among several people, as ours are.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 03:39 PM   #23
rdlink
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
In theory you can go paperless with the MLB AtTheBallpark app. The problem is the implementation is clueless. I just looked at the app and it shows only one game we attended in April, not the tickets we have for tomorrow's game, or anything in between. Trying to use it for getting into the park would seem to be a mistake and I can't imagine using it for reserved parking. I haven't seen anyone try yet.

The issue with a card is that most season tickets are shared among several people, as ours are.
Good point on the season ticket sharing. Every time I have had season tickets I have been part of a group.

BTW: As a Rockies fan: GO PADRES!! ;-)
__________________
Desktop, Desktop, Laptop, Phone, Tablet
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:23 PM   #24
TEG
macrumors 604
 
TEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Langley, Washington
Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylaffer View Post
Do you get highlights for free though? I have a full MLB.TV account so I'm not sure what free users get.

I know with the NHL you have to pay for highlights. I think it's the same with NBA as well.
Yes, I get highlights, and can watch select games.
__________________
Apple and Dell are the only ones in this industry making money. They make it by being Wal-Mart. We make it by innovation, - Steve Jobs
The Tegian Zone-Glass Onion Radio
TEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:25 PM   #25
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
Good point on the season ticket sharing. Every time I have had season tickets I have been part of a group.

BTW: As a Rockies fan: GO PADRES!! ;-)
I'm sorry to hear it. Really, I thought the Rockies were going to better this year.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC