Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:35 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Minecraft' for iOS Gets Major Update With Infinite Worlds, New Blocks, and Tons of Other Content

Minecraft - Pocket Edition, a game that has managed to stay on the App Store's top charts for several years running, has received a major update that Mojang calls "the biggest update to Minecraft - Pocket Edition so far."

Today's update introduces infinite worlds and caves for the first time, plus it includes new blocks and items like Monster Eggs and mushroom blocks. It's now possible to tame a companion with the addition of wolves, and the game also includes new flowers.

New monsters, like spooky endermen and Mooshrooms have been introduced, and the iOS version now offers biomes from the PC version of the game including mesas, jungles, swamps, and more.
Quote:
0.9.0 - biggest update EVER!

Infinite worlds!
Caves!
Loads of new blocks and items including Monster Eggs and huge mushroom blocks.
Wolves! Tame a loyal companion.
Loads of new flowers! So pretty.
New mobs, including the spooky endermen and less spooky Mooshrooms.
New biomes from the PC version, including mesas, jungles, swamps and extreme hills.
Abandoned mineshafts, villages, and many other cool places to explore.
A brand-new "interaction" button. Never accidentally punch a sheep again!
New feature generation, including lakes, vines and monster rooms.
Many bugs fixed, and possibly a few added.
First released for iOS devices in 2011, the initial version of Minecraft - Pocket Edition was highly limited, lacking online play and devoid of animals and creepers. Since its debut, though, the game has been updated countless times, adding a slew of features that put it more on par with desktop versions of Minecraft.

Minecraft - Pocket Edition can be downloaded from the App Store for $6.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Minecraft' for iOS Gets Major Update With Infinite Worlds, New Blocks, and Tons of Other Content
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:38 PM   #2
NSeven
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to NSeven Send a message via Skype™ to NSeven
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Its news like this that makes me moist...

27" iMac late 2011, 3.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 1TB 840EVO SSD HD, 16GB Gold iPhone 5S, 16GB iPad Air, 16GB iPad mini, 8GB iPod Touch
NSeven is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:41 PM   #3
lovewd
macrumors regular

It's gorgeous and amazing and actually super fun to play now!
lovewd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Wildog27
macrumors member

Can you transfer worlds from one device to another yet?
Wildog27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Just picked up a "Little Brother" (from Big Brothers/Big Sisters) who apparently is crazy into minecraft.... Sounds like I might need to pick up this game. Never really understood the draw, but guess I'll try it out.
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 04:35 PM   #6
seamer
macrumors 6502

How similar is it to the desktop version now? My kid loves MC on his ipad, but gets frustrated when he watches videos made on the desktop and can't replicate a lot of the cool stuff on PE.
seamer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 04:40 PM   #7
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSeven View Post
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Its news like this that makes me moist...
Not that far but /excited haha.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Dekema2
macrumors 6502

I just can't wait for the announcement that they'll allow you to connect to PC servers too!
Dekema2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:24 PM   #9
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamer View Post
How similar is it to the desktop version now? My kid loves MC on his ipad, but gets frustrated when he watches videos made on the desktop and can't replicate a lot of the cool stuff on PE.
Its closer but still missing a lot of features. Most notably there are no redstone mechanics or other dimensions.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:57 PM   #10
macduke
macrumors 68040

Quote:
A lot of the "cool stuff" on PC/Mac are the mods. Minecraft has an extensive modding community, and some of the modern have even been hired by Mojang (horses was a really popular mid until they rolled it into vanilla, for instance). Some of the mods require a fairly beefy PC/Mac, especially when combined with other mods. Many popular YouTubers use mods in their videos, such as CaptainSparklez and The Yogscast. If he wants to get into mods I highly recommend using the Yogscast Complete Pack on AT Launcher. I started playing it the other day and it's fairly stable. Just make sure you allocate at least 4GB of ram to Minecraft. It's not clear if these features will ever make it to console or PE, but Mojang has been working on a plugin framework for a number of years now which may allow for an "App Store" of sorts where you could install extras that have been approved by Mojang.

This update is a pretty big deal. Even the Xbox One and PS4 versions aren't getting infinite worlds. It's pretty incredible that they have this running on phones! They've even added in some features not yet on the Xbox, like the new biomes from 1.7. I'm excited to jump in and play. The biggest thing that killed PE for me in the past was no caves and the small worlds. I like adventuring. It's going to be fun seeing what's in store for the 1.0 release. Hoping for redstone and iOS game controller support.
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 06:43 PM   #11
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

'Minecraft' for iOS Gets Major Update With Infinite Worlds, New Blocks, and T...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
This update is a pretty big deal. Even the Xbox One and PS4 versions aren't getting infinite worlds. It's pretty incredible that they have this running on phones! They've even added in some features not yet on the Xbox, like the new biomes from 1.7. I'm excited to jump in and play. The biggest thing that killed PE for me in the past was no caves and the small worlds. I like adventuring. It's going to be fun seeing what's in store for the 1.0 release. Hoping for redstone and iOS game controller support.

My guess is that the console makers are too restrictive with how much storage space games are allowed to use for their save files, as infinite world files can get quite large.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:11 PM   #12
yeah
macrumors 6502a

Time to crash my iPhone by exploding 1,000,000 TNT.
yeah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:58 PM   #13
AtomicGrog
macrumors regular

Sadly will never be appealing to me until it can allow all the addons we see available in the desktop version, such as the Tecknic suite.
AtomicGrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:01 PM   #14
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicGrog View Post
Sadly will never be appealing to me until it can allow all the addons we see available in the desktop version, such as the Tecknic suite.
How would that work? Apple doesn't allow unauthorized code to run on iOS devices, and not everyone is willing or able to jailbreak.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:41 PM   #15
exizeo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
A lot of the "cool stuff" on PC/Mac are the mods. Minecraft has an extensive modding community, and some of the modern have even been hired by Mojang (horses was a really popular mid until they rolled it into vanilla, for instance). Some of the mods require a fairly beefy PC/Mac, especially when combined with other mods. Many popular YouTubers use mods in their videos, such as CaptainSparklez and The Yogscast. If he wants to get into mods I highly recommend using the Yogscast Complete Pack on AT Launcher. I started playing it the other day and it's fairly stable. Just make sure you allocate at least 4GB of ram to Minecraft. It's not clear if these features will ever make it to console or PE, but Mojang has been working on a plugin framework for a number of years now which may allow for an "App Store" of sorts where you could install extras that have been approved by Mojang.

I believe it's because 4J Studios is making the X1/PS4/X360/PS3 versions, while Mojang is making the mobile versions.

Also, FTB is amazing.
"There will be no 5.5" iPhone." - 1080p
exizeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:15 PM   #16
AtomicGrog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
How would that work? Apple doesn't allow unauthorized code to run on iOS devices, and not everyone is willing or able to jailbreak.
Correct, it's not going to work, and as such I have little interest in the iOS version.
AtomicGrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:45 AM   #17
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Its still pretty far behind and will be for a while. Just get it on PC if you can.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:18 AM   #18
rdas7
macrumors regular

This is such fantastic news. My son who is 5 loves playing on the iPad, as do his friends. I know PocketEdition is "behind" the desktop/console counterparts, however at such a young age the limitations aren't really an issue, and there's the massive advantage of the touch screen. I say 'advantage' because little kids can *tap where they want a block to appear* - whereas on a desktop/console your eyes are looking at the screen, while your hands are managing controls, there's that disconnect. I know everyone reading this takes this for granted now, but for a generation born into touch screens, who are still getting to grips with basic coordination, it's not an insignificant thing to get used to.
rdas7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2014, 07:05 AM   #19
levifig
macrumors member

For those wondering about mod support, that will come eventually. Mojang has been working towards an official modding API on the desktop version. Whenever that happens (could be several months out still), they'll have the groundwork to be able to bring it to iOS as well. Only potential problem will be if they include a way for mod makers to monetize their mods (fair!) and Apple's rules for external marketplaces in an iOS app…

I guess will wait and see.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:45 AM   #20
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The PS Vita is getting Minecraft in a months time and if you have already bought the PS3 version, it is free. That contains the majority of things the desktop version has as well as more common updates.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:37 PM   #21
Ambush083
macrumors regular

Cross-platform support would be great. For a while I had the idea that perhaps they were adding little by little to then fully release a game that is cross platform, but I bet nothing will translate to the desktop version. They'd have to redo all the code I'm thinking.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:02 AM   #22
bomcfee
macrumors newbie

Running out of memory

Since the update keep getting a notice saying that the app is running out of memory. Not sure how to fix it.
bomcfee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 01:07 AM   #23
PhamQu
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomcfee View Post
Since the update keep getting a notice saying that the app is running out of memory. Not sure how to fix it.
After saving and quitting, try clearing out the background apps by double-clicking the home and swiping up. Restarting the device could possibly help too.

Source: iPad 2 with too many jailbreak tweaks. At times, I may only have 100mb of available memory. 100 MEGABYTES. Oh, the pain!
Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P, 16gb RAM, Dual 2gb 750m Nvidia graphics
PhamQu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion