Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
NC
My iPhone 5S screen messed up last night... similar to the image below.

Apple replaced it for free under warranty at the Apple Store today.

I mentioned on Facebook that Apple replaced my phone... and a friend replied "And a new contract"

That's not right, is it? This had nothing to do with Verizon or my plan... it was a straight warranty swap, right?

Or am I wrong?

maxresdefault.jpg

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
You can only extend your contract when purchasing a new phone with a 2 year agreement, which you would need to be eligible for. Replacements under warranty do not extend anything. Don't listen to your friend.

Draconestra

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Yeah, you're "friend" isn't remotely right. I did a warranty swap recently, no contract extension here. What will happen is that, it might make it a hassle to swap a phone through AT&T, but why do that when Apple can take care of you instead.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Yeah, you're "friend" isn't remotely right. I did a warranty swap recently, no contract extension here. What will happen is that, it might make it a hassle to swap a phone through AT&T, but why do that when Apple can take care of you instead.

Exactly.

I didn't even think of involving Verizon in this matter. I made an appointment with the Apple Store directly... since I knew I was still under warranty.

The phone wasn't dropped or damaged in any way... the screen and digitizer just randomly messed up.

I hadn't even thought about the carrier until he said something. I'm glad he was wrong :)

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Exactly.

I didn't even think of involving Verizon in this matter. I made an appointment with the Apple Store directly... since I knew I was still under warranty.

The phone wasn't dropped or damaged in any way... the screen and digitizer just randomly messed up.

I hadn't even thought about the carrier until he said something. I'm glad he was wrong :)

Yeah don't bother with Verizon unless you start having service issues with the replacement. Then just get them to give you a new sim. Shouldn't be an issue though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.