Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I sell a 2011 iMac today for $725. (Stupid me, didn't count money and he only gave me $705)

Well I had to drive almost two hours to get it to him and two hours back. I get home and he's got questions about how to maximize windows? No clue...

Didn't know that it was silver either before I came. Thought it was white. Clearly he didn't research.

Well now he's complaining about the fan noise, saying it's always on. First off, I never had any issues with the iMac. Used to run Lightroom, Final Cut Pro, intensive stuff.

I just have a feeling I'm about to have a headache on my hand. I can here it coming, "I want my money back."

Nothing freaking wrong with the machine what so ever when I gave it to him.

Last edited:

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I sell a 2011 iMac today for $725. (Stupid me, didn't count money and he only gave me $720)

Well I had to drive almost two hours to get it to him and two hours back. I get home and he's got questions about how to maximize windows? No clue...

Didn't know that it was silver either before I came. Thought it was white. Clearly he didn't research.

Well now he's complaining about the fan noise, saying it's always on. First off, I never had any issues with the iMac. Used to run Lightroom, Final Cut Pro, intensive stuff.

I just have a feeling I'm about to have a headache on my hand. I can here it coming, "I want my money back."

Nothing freaking wrong with the machine what so ever when I gave it to him.

I am assuming you sold it on Craigslist or a similar site? If so, and you sold him a perfectly working machine, you don't owe him anything. You are not Walmart and while you could give him his money back, you aren't required to.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
It was through a Facebook group similar to Craigslist in the state of Nebraska. And I know that I don't owe him anything. We even met at a public place and I took it out of the box and turned it on. Just hoping that it's not about to turn into a problem where he's bugging me.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It was through a Facebook group similar to Craigslist in the state of Nebraska. And I know that I don't owe him anything. We even met at a public place and I took it out of the box and turned it on. Just hoping that it's not about to turn into a problem where he's bugging me.

I would just tell him some fan noise is normal for any computer. I'd also suggest to him that he visit his local bookstore and pickup a beginners book on using OS X.

He's probably just a little nervous because this is new to him from what you describe about him not even knowing how to manage windows. From his perspective this could also represent a lot of money spent and he may be a little paranoid about it being used now that he's bought it. He'll calm down and if he doesn't the worst that can happen is one simple assertive conversation ending on the note that the sale is final and no guarantees can be made on used electronic goods, etc.

Lastly, I'd advise him to be sure to check and vacuum out the air vents periodically to ensure proper air flow and prevent heat problems. I doubt he knows enough to do this somehow.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
No, you don't owe him anything and unless you told him to "Contact me if you have any issues", then you don't even owe him technical support.

This is why when I sell stuff like this to any stranger, I use a disposable phone number (there are great apps to establish "burner" phone numbers that only last for a few days). After the phone number is gone, I disappear from the face of the earth as far as the buyer is concerned to avoid issues like this.

Since you are on facebook however, you might consider opening a second account to buy and sell and never use your primary account. Lessons learned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.