Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
This information is for Australian customers only. It is by no means new information, but just a reminder of our rights as consumers.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/08/h...efective-out-of-warranty-iphone-in-australia/

Quick summary of the helpful link

Under Australian Consumer Law and our statutory rights, replacements/returns are not limited to a set time period. Instead, they apply for the amount of time that is reasonable to expect, given the cost and quality of the item.

In summary, phones are generally sold on a 2 year contract, thus it is reasonable to expect a phone to last 2 years.

My iPhone 5 was purchase on release. Just yesterday the back camera no longer worked. I called up, used the info from that webpage as a guide. And I am now waiting for the arrival of my free replacement iPhone.

Spread the word...

Note: This information does not solely relate to just iPhones/apple products, but anything purchased in Australia.

Tritto

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2014
Hi Laudern.

This isn't new, but I'm glad you got a good outcome as a result of the gizmodo article. One thing to note is that the Australian Consumer Law warranty only relates to the original purchaser. I asked about this with regard to a faulty second hand unit that I was looking at buying and was told to access the extended warranty I would have provide proof of purchase.

Two years isn't mandated in the legislation, it says that the product must last for a reasonable period of time (or similar). Apple has conceded that a reasonable period is two years. Other manufacturers may have differ policies. The cost of the product can have a bearing on what is 'reasonable' to expect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.