Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
I purchased iPad Air WiFi 128 GB. I loaded it up with iTunes purchases and music and now I just have 4GB free space. :rolleyes:

I don't buy into the cloud storage fad. It's useless for video streaming and my ISP has bandwidth limits.

Does anyone think 128 GB is still too low?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have the 128GB Retina Mini and have 105GB of music. Sure it was nice to be able to load all my music in it and like, you, I barely had 4GB left, but, I rarely listened to about half of that music so why have it loaded.

I've made a playlist of all music that I have listened to in the last year and just keep that. It equals about 75GB.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I will never get into streaming as far as I know, but at the moment, 32GB works in my case. So the answer for what size of storage works for someone depends on every person on an individual basis.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Yup. I was using 16 GB iPad 3 and it was terrible. But I think 256 GB should hit the sweet spot.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
I think 128gb is perfectly acceptable as the limit on an iPad tablet, just stream if you want more. I think it will be a very long time until we see 256gb iPads.

Stream from where? Does Apple allow video streaming from iCloud?

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I've never understood the need to carry all of your media with you on a phone or tablet. How much music can you listen to at once? How many games can you play at once?

Last edited:

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
If you don't trust the cloud, you could also always put your entire library on an external drive and only sync what you want. There is hardly ever a time where I would need to access 128 GB worth of music and movies without having the ability to switch it out. For me, 32 GB is perfect.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
You need to purchase iTunes Match. Having 100GB of music loaded onto your iPad is a total waste of storage.

iTunes Match is fine while you have a wifi connection. If you are out and want to listen to music in the cloud, it can go through your data quickly and no one offers unlimited data for iPads. This is why I have a 128GB iPad even though I've been an iTunes Match subscriber since the beginning.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

As people have stated, lots and lots of places and services. But if your against cloud services and you have usage caps. Then buy an external hard drive like the SanDisk Connect wireless flash drive, and then back everything up at home on hard drives.

Cloud services are great and certainly the future, its easy backups and sharing. Its a shame you have a usage cap.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I purchased iPad Air WiFi 128 GB. I loaded it up with iTunes purchases and music and now I just have 4GB free space. :rolleyes:

I don't buy into the cloud storage fad. It's useless for video streaming and my ISP has bandwidth limits.

Does anyone think 128 GB is still too low?

How much data does your ISP allow per time period (month?)?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I get the while streaming issue, but why can't you put the movies on you computer and stream from the computer when you're at home? This way you don't need any movies on your iPad at all unless you want to take one on the go. I have a 16GB iPad and I do this from time to time. I also have iTunes Match for my 32GB iPhone (can put music on my iPad, but in just use it for email, web, YouTube, reading, and few other things).

iTunes Match is nice, access to all my 130GB of music on my 32GB iPhone.

----------

Download all your movies to iTunes on a computer then stream from that over you wifi next work using Home Sharing.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
How much data does your ISP allow per time period (month?)?

I dont think he is talking about usage limits per month. Bandwidth limit could be capped at something low (1MBps or so) which makes video streaming choppy.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I dont think he is talking about usage limits per month. Bandwidth limit could be capped at something low (1MBps or so) which makes video streaming choppy.

Bandwidth caps for home internet do exist. Iirc, Time Warner Cable's limit is 100GB per month and I've heard some folks from Canada complaining about a 10GB monthly limit. For folks on cellular data, it gets even more expensive. If you only need to watch videos at home, iTunes Home Sharing works very well for DRM videos (alas, need to leave the PC on). For non-DRM videos, Plex Media Server installed on a NAS works great so long as you don't need to transcode.

That said, 128GB isn't so bad. My mom only has a 64GB iPad and I can fit around 5 seasons of TV shows on there in SD resolution and still have several GB left for music and other apps. It can also fit all 8 Harry Potter movies and the 3 Lord of the Rings movies (theatrical versions) encoded at 720p with H.264 QuickSync at CP20 with room to spare.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I've never understood the need to carry all of your media with you on a phone or tablet. How much music can you listen to at once? How many games can you play at once?
It's not really about listening to or playing stuff at the same time. It's more about having options. That said, you can store a relatively large selection of music even with just 20GB. Videos, however, not so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.