Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScratchyMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
London
Hi Everyone,

I've been following the 4k threads avidly, but haven't seen anything specifically on the Dell 4K ... while some other displays have been causing problems.

Am i right in thinking that with a few preferences changed, i can get 4k @ 60Hz with the UP3214Q and nMP? And the only other thing i would need is a mini display port cable?

My main apps are LR and PS, and so colour fidelity is crucial to me. But the set up above should pose no problems in that respect for me?

Thanks for any info!

zesta

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Yes, it should work fine at 60Hz, just by enabling DisplayPort 1.2 on the monitor.

I have the UP2414Q, and it works great. Mine included a DP->MiniDP cable, so I would imagine the 32" would as well.

Hi Everyone,

I've been following the 4k threads avidly, but haven't seen anything specifically on the Dell 4K ... while some other displays have been causing problems.

Am i right in thinking that with a few preferences changed, i can get 4k @ 60Hz with the UP3214Q and nMP? And the only other thing i would need is a mini display port cable?

My main apps are LR and PS, and so colour fidelity is crucial to me. But the set up above should pose no problems in that respect for me?

Thanks for any info!

docderwood

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
FYI...Dell has this on sale right now for 1899..very tempted but . Anyone have one that they like?

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Has no sense since Appe is about to update Thunderbolt display, thr new one will be Thuindebolt 2 plus 4K or 5K resolution. maybe badged as Retina Thundebolt Display and come in Black.

Last edited:

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Has no sense since Appe is about to update Thunderbolt display, thr new one will be Thuindebolt 2 plus 4K or 5K resolution. maybe badged as Retina Thundebolt Display and come in Black.

Except the Dell is apparently quite a good monitor (Dell does make great monitors) — and the Apple version will probably cost twice as much. Oh also the Dell comes in black :)

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Except the Dell is apparently quite a good monitor (Dell does make great monitors) — and the Apple version will probably cost twice as much. Oh also the Dell comes in black :)
Don't get scared if the new Thundebolt Display 2 it's cheaper and cost the same as the current Thunderbolt Display...

I really appreciate your joke on Dell *quality* just make laugh...

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Don't get scared if the new Thundebolt Display 2 it's cheaper and cost the same as the current Thunderbolt Display...

I really appreciate your joke on Dell *quality* just make laugh...

How do you know so much about the "Thunderbolt Display 2" if it hasn't launched yet. Who is manufacturing the panel itself? What will the final specs be, and how can you compare them to existing monitors? And how do you know what the price is going to be? Oh right. You don't know any of these things.

Also, I'm seeing Dells in many "top 10" lists, but I guess you're better-informed than everyone else.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402101,00.asp
http://www.cnet.com/topics/monitors/best-monitors/

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
This monitor is restricted to HDMI input, so refresh rate tops mere 30hz, other cheaper monitor offer display port capable of 60hz refresh at 28" for about the half or less.

A. E. Asus PB287Q cost about 700$.

Anyway I'll wait for Apple 's Cinema Thunderbolt Retina Display coming in few weeks.

sirneb

macrumors member
May 9, 2014
This monitor is restricted to HDMI input, so refresh rate tops mere 30hz, other cheaper monitor offer display port capable of 60hz refresh at 28" for about the half or less.

A. E. Asus PB287Q cost about 700$.

Anyway I'll wait for Apple 's Cinema Thunderbolt Retina Display coming in few weeks.

Are you talking about the right monitor? It's the 32in 4k version that costs 2k.

peterb123

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
Munich, Germany
Does anyone here actually use a UP3214Q?

I do have one, connected to my 4c/256GB/64GB nMP, together with a LG 34UM95.

The Dell is certainly the best monitor I ever had, the retina resolution with visible 2560x1440 is such a pleasure.

I am suffering from the sleep issues described elsewhere (it's a A00 version), it happens maybe once a day - but since everything else is so great (no dead pixels etc.) I didn't want to take the risk of an exchange.

Peter

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I do have one, connected to my 4c/256GB/64GB nMP, together with a LG 34UM95.

The Dell is certainly the best monitor I ever had, the retina resolution with visible 2560x1440 is such a pleasure.

I am suffering from the sleep issues described elsewhere (it's a A00 version), it happens maybe once a day - but since everything else is so great (no dead pixels etc.) I didn't want to take the risk of an exchange.

Peter

Thanks for chiming in. I was seriously considering buying one last week with the recent sale ($1800) but based on the Dell forums, it appears Dell is still shipping A00 revs. So I decided to pass and wait for the next gen 4K displays without MST and perhaps an IPS panel. We shall see.

benjobe2513

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Humboldt County, California
I've had the Dell UP3214Q monitor for a couple months now and I've been unable to get it to display UHD @ 60Hz. I've tried different DisplayPort cables. I've tried it on a Nvidia GTX 680, Nvidia Quadro K5000, and an AMD Radeon R9 280X. I'm running the current OSX 10.9.4 on a 2010 Mac Pro 12-core tower. I have enabled the DP 1.2 option on the monitor but there is no MST option in the monitor menu. I have gone into more detail with my experience with this monitor in this thread starting with post #104.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1668673/

I have spent hours on the phone with Dell Tech Support trying to solve this riddle with no results other than for them to tell me "we don't support Mac configurations". Trying to understand their broken English was another trying experience altogether.

I highly recommend everyone with a Mac to stay away from the Dell UP3214Q monitor. I've heard that the ASUS PQ321Q is capable of UHD @ 60Hz on older Mac Pros so that's the route I'm pursuing now.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I've had the Dell UP3214Q monitor for a couple months now and I've been unable to get it to display UHD @ 60Hz. I've tried different DisplayPort cables. I've tried it on a Nvidia GTX 680, Nvidia Quadro K5000, and an AMD Radeon R9 280X. I'm running the current OSX 10.9.4 on a 2010 Mac Pro 12-core tower. I have enabled the DP 1.2 option on the monitor but there is no MST option in the monitor menu. I have gone into more detail with my experience with this monitor in this thread starting with post #104.

I have spent hours on the phone with Dell Tech Support trying to solve this riddle with no results other than for them to tell me "we don't support Mac configurations". Trying to understand their broken English was another trying experience altogether.

I highly recommend everyone with a Mac to stay away from the Dell UP3214Q monitor. I've heard that the ASUS PQ321Q is capable of UHD @ 60Hz on older Mac Pros so that's the route I'm pursuing now.

I have the Asus and can confirm it does 60 Hz.

I am in fact typing it from a GTX Titan Black running at 60Hz

I have written out how to enable this in another thread

peterb123

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
Munich, Germany

I have a Dell UP3214Q connected to a bas nMP (aka D300 graphics) and get UHD @ 60 Hz without any issues.
It's connected through DisplayPort.
In the Dell menu, you have to enable "DisplayPort 1.2" to get MST.

Peter

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I have a Dell UP3214Q connected to a bas nMP (aka D300 graphics) and get UHD @ 60 Hz without any issues.
It's connected through DisplayPort.
In the Dell menu, you have to enable "DisplayPort 1.2" to get MST.

Peter

Cool...
Are you having any problems with the display coming out of sleep?
When did you buy and what hardware rev do you have (A00 or A01)?
What is anti-glare screen coating like? Heavy matt, slight matt, semi-gloss?

peterb123

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
Munich, Germany
Cool...
Are you having any problems with the display coming out of sleep?
When did you buy and what hardware rev do you have (A00 or A01)?
What is anti-glare screen coating like? Heavy matt, slight matt, semi-gloss?

I have a A00, bought in April, but it was on stock with my dealer since Christmas, so pretty early make.
Anti-glare is perfect for me - I would say heavy matt.
But I come from a very glossy ACD, so hard to compare.

For me. the best display I ever had.

BUT: It does happen that the display does not come out of sleep. Maybe every 3rd or 4th time. The problem that one half does not start did only happen once here.
If it doesn't wake up, waiting for like 30 s sometimes help, otherwise power cycle.

Peter

sirneb

macrumors member
May 9, 2014
Apparently, this monitor's price has dropped again. For instance, amazon is selling it under 1500. Best buy is also around that range versus 2100 on dell or earlier, 1800 on sale.

That said, forewarning, there is an issue with this monitor regarding waking up from sleep and half blank screen. Dell has a firmware update but is refusing to release publicly. Feel free to check this site for a summary:

http://jmswrnr.com/blog/the-firmware-issues-of-dell-up3214q-and-up2414q-a00-monitors/

I had bought it at 1800, I wonder if I should return it then buy it from amazon. I will be risking to have to deal with manufacturer warranties to try to get a refurbished A01 firmware monitor. Anybody got any experience dealing dell returns and price guarantees?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Apparently, this monitor's price has dropped again. For instance, amazon is selling it under 1500. Best buy is also around that range versus 2100 on dell or earlier, 1800 on sale.

That said, forewarning, there is an issue with this monitor regarding waking up from sleep and half blank screen. Dell has a firmware update but is refusing to release publicly. Feel free to check this site for a summary:

http://jmswrnr.com/blog/the-firmware-issues-of-dell-up3214q-and-up2414q-a00-monitors/

I had bought it at 1800, I wonder if I should return it then buy it from amazon. I will be risking to have to deal with manufacturer warranties to try to get a refurbished A01 firmware monitor. Anybody got any experience dealing dell returns and price guarantees?

It seems like most of the complaints about this monitor are the result of its interaction with Nvidia cards and/or a crappy cable included with the display. What's your personal experience with it been like? What are you connecting it to? Have you tried a new MDP to DP 1.2 cable? What rev did you get? Where and when did you buy it? If it's working, I'd keep it. If it's buggy and a new cable doesn't help, I'd definitely return it and either save my money for something better or rebuy from Amazon if you want another roll of the dice. Either way, interested to hear the outcome. I've had my eye on one of these, but the more I hear, the more I'm happy I resisted the temptation. But perhaps it's better than reports would indicate on the Mac Pro (with AMD cards) or the nMP in particular.

sirneb

macrumors member
May 9, 2014
It seems like most of the complaints about this monitor are the result of its interaction with Nvidia cards and/or a crappy cable included with the display. What's your personal experience with it been like? What are you connecting it to? Have you tried a new MDP to DP 1.2 cable? What rev did you get? Where and when did you buy it? If it's working, I'd keep it. If it's buggy and a new cable doesn't help, I'd definitely return it and either save my money for something better or rebuy from Amazon if you want another roll of the dice. Either way, interested to hear the outcome. I've had my eye on one of these, but the more I hear, the more I'm happy I resisted the temptation. But perhaps it's better than reports would indicate on the Mac Pro (with AMD cards) or the nMP in particular.

It's actually coming in today so I'll definitely let you know how it turns out. Also I did some research that Dell is a pain in the behind about warranties if you buy it from another vendor. Honestly, the more I read into it the more I dislike Dell as a company. I think I will likely not buy from them again.

sirneb

macrumors member
May 9, 2014

I've just set it up tonight and I just used my color calibrator on it. I barely got to play with it, take what I say for what it's worth. Also I have an LG 34UM95 along side this for reference.

I ordered from Dell on the first of the month, and I'm happy to report that I received a A01 revision which should fix all the issues reported. I've connected it to my nMP with the DisplayPort to mDP cable that it came with. The only thing I had to do to get it on native res and 60hz is enable display port 1.2 in the monitor settings. I can't imagine anyone using 30hz honestly, the mouse was so choppy.

As I mentioned, I used my color calibrator (i1Display Pro) on it. It seems that the monitor is pretty well calibrated by default already, the only thing was that the brightness was very high by default. Oh, inside the package there is a factory diagnostic sheet that shows basically the monitor passes all the factory specs. This is the first I've seen this included in a new monitor.

Overall, my literally 30minutes impression on it is pretty good. Color looks good, looks like mavericks detected this 4k monitor so I shouldn't need to do RGB override on it. I haven't decided if I want to use the scaling on it, I think I might have to. I'm typing this message on it right now and my eyes are straining to read the words as I type.

Personally, I definitely need to get a ergotron arm stand for it. Biggest complaint is that the stand doesn't adjust very tall. Though, I think the stand should be sufficient for most people, it's not that bad.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I've just set it up tonight and I just used my color calibrator on it. I barely got to play with it, take what I say for what it's worth. Also I have an LG 34UM95 along side this for reference.

I ordered from Dell on the first of the month, and I'm happy to report that I received a A01 revision which should fix all the issues reported. I've connected it to my nMP with the DisplayPort to mDP cable that it came with. The only thing I had to do to get it on native res and 60hz is enable display port 1.2 in the monitor settings. I can't imagine anyone using 30hz honestly, the mouse was so choppy.

As I mentioned, I used my color calibrator (i1Display Pro) on it. It seems that the monitor is pretty well calibrated by default already, the only thing was that the brightness was very high by default. Oh, inside the package there is a factory diagnostic sheet that shows basically the monitor passes all the factory specs. This is the first I've seen this included in a new monitor.

Overall, my literally 30minutes impression on it is pretty good. Color looks good, looks like mavericks detected this 4k monitor so I shouldn't need to do RGB override on it. I haven't decided if I want to use the scaling on it, I think I might have to. I'm typing this message on it right now and my eyes are straining to read the words as I type.

Personally, I definitely need to get a ergotron arm stand for it. Biggest complaint is that the stand doesn't adjust very tall. Though, I think the stand should be sufficient for most people, it's not that bad.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got an A01 rev. Hopefully it's bug free.

How would you describe the matt finish on it. I've had Dell displays before where the matt finish is almost like someone stretched a pantyhose across the screen (it's obvious and almost makes the pixels sparkle)... what's it like on this beast?

And please report back in a few days if anything changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.