Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lenoxus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
At my workplace, people have to remember to connect to the NAS using command-K instead of seeing it in the Finder, because the Connect to Server dialog (as set up here) always uses AFP by default whereas the Mavericks Finder connects using SMB2 by default (or maybe SMB).

AFP is preferred; for some reason, there can be real discrepancies between the two, and not just in terms of hidden files or the labeling system — supposedly one worker couldn't find a file in the server's folders until she realized she hadn't connected with command-K, though I didn't see the whole thing with my own eyes. Does anyone know why that could be?

Regardless of that mystery, I'd like to just disable SMB in general so that accidental connection like that won't happen. I've seen tips for disabling SMB2 so that SMB is used by default, but things are even more archaic here — we want to stick to AFP while we still can. What can I try?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
In the Sharing control panel there is an Options button, which gives you another window where you can turn on either SMB, AFP, or both.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
In the Sharing control panel there is an Options button, which gives you another window where you can turn on either SMB, AFP, or both.

This only applies to users connecting to that particular computer. It isn't related to the protocol used when connecting to a server.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
The easiest thing would be to turn SMB off on the NAS if everyone is to connect by AFP. Is that possible?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
This only applies to users connecting to that particular computer. It isn't related to the protocol used when connecting to a server.

Yes, it is. I have both servers and clients - you make this change on the (Mac) server.

However, as I read the OP again, I realized that the OP doesn't say what kind of server they're using. I assumed Mac, which is possibly a bad assumption.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes, it is. I have both servers and clients - you make this change on the (Mac) server.

However, as I read the OP again, I realized that the OP doesn't say what kind of server they're using. I assumed Mac, which is possibly a bad assumption.
The OP is connecting to a NAS. Changing that setting on the Mac will not change the protocol the Mac uses by default to connect to the NAS.

Lenoxus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Thanks for replies, sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Indeed our server is not a Mac (which would make a lot of things easier; I can't even SSH this one).

I can disable SMB on it, but several of the team members use Windows so I'd only do that if they could all connect over AFP, and even that would probably make things more inconvenient over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.