Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi,
I am running an old (late 2007) Mac Pro, dual core Intel Xeon (2 x 2.66), Snow Leopard / OSX 10.6.8 (which, apparently I can no longer upgrade).

I just recorded some streaming audio in GarageBand after having downloaded Soundflower, and am having problems hearing the playback of the file.

I had problems initially getting Soundflower to 'hear' the audio source, but when I was finally successful, I could see the audio waveform change, and a quick playback test confirmed that everything was working.

I then started recording again, and as just before, the meters were working, and the waveform confirmed playback, as did me using my audio interface's mix knob to confirm that I was hearing the audio that was recording.

When I finished recording, I could not - and still cannot - hear any playback, ,despite the meters and waveforms showing that there is audio present.

I can hear audio from every other imaginable source: youtube videos, other GarageBand projects, mp3's, songs in iTunes, in a variety of players (GarageBand, iTunes, VLC, Quicktime), but cannot hear either the .band (GarageBand's native format) file, or exported mp3 of the file.

I have tried every combination of settings for Input and Output, and - as can be seen from what I said above - can obviously set things up correctly to hear all other sources, so I am at a loss about what the solution to this might be.

This feels to me like the driver is unstable, and I will try uninstalling, and reinstalling it.

In the meantime, any help would be most gratefully appreciated.

gvdv

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Sorry, can't help, I know nothing about the audio software.

However, some info for you. 10.6.8 is not the limit of your machine, you can install 10.9.4 or even 10.10 to your cMP.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
You can upgrade your machine easily to Lion (OS X 10.7.5), or look around here for guides on getting Mountain Lion, Mavericks or even the developer preview of Yosemite running on your machine.

Regarding Soundflower, it's a software audio loop back, so if you've set the audio output of GarageBand to 'Soundflower' and you've not get Soundflower to monitor the audio, you'll get nothing.

The reason everything else still works is because under System Preferences you still have your normal sound output selected.

What you need to do is make sure Soundflower is set to playback what you're sending it. Check under the toolbar icon or in preferences to enable this. This then allows you to hear what's sent to Soundflower, as well as setting it as an input to other software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.