Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
So I turned on my Mac today and thought everything was working as usual. Internet soon stopped working so I just reconnected like I always do and it started working again. After navigating through a few pages it stopped working again. I tried resetting the router, but that hasn't helped. Basically every time I turn off the WiFi and reconnect I can browse pages normally for about 30 seconds or less and then it will die out again. None of my other devices are experiencing Internet problems.

Where do I start with figuring out what's wrong? (restarting machine did not help)

The really peculiar thing is my internet seems blazing fast when it is loading pages for those few seconds, like every link I click on opens instantly but then the internet obviously will die soon after. If I keep clicking links eventually they open and the process repeats where the internet is super fast for those few seconds but dies again after. I can't understand this at all.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
So I turned on my Mac today and thought everything was working as usual. Internet soon stopped working so I just reconnected like I always do and it started working again. After navigating through a few pages it stopped working again. I tried resetting the router, but that hasn't helped. Basically every time I turn off the WiFi and reconnect I can browse pages normally for about 30 seconds or less and then it will die out again. None of my other devices are experiencing Internet problems.

Where do I start with figuring out what's wrong? (restarting machine did not help)

The really peculiar thing is my internet seems blazing fast when it is loading pages for those few seconds, like every link I click on opens instantly but then the internet obviously will die soon after. If I keep clicking links eventually they open and the process repeats where the internet is super fast for those few seconds but dies again after. I can't understand this at all.

Open "Network Preferences" (either in System Preferences or by clicking the Wifi signal indicator on the top right of the desktop and click "open network preferences), then click on "assist me" and do a diagnostic to see if there are connections issues with your Mac's hardware or software. Also, have you tried connecting via ethernet (with a MBA of course, you need the ethernet adapter). If all that fails, call your ISP for help.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
The problem is when I run the diagnostic it thinks my internet is fine. But when I actually try to browse pages it will only work for a few seconds before cutting out again. Every time i try to load the speedtest.net website it can't even run it.

I'm thinking of just taking it to the Apple Store tomorrow, do they charge you just for looking at it or only if they after replace hardware or something?

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I would also try using the internet in new user account. This kind of thing could be the result of a corrupt preference file rather than a hardware issue. Also have you tried using wifi someplace besides your home? Do you still have the same issues?

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I would also try using the internet in new user account. This kind of thing could be the result of a corrupt preference file rather than a hardware issue. Also have you tried using wifi someplace besides your home? Do you still have the same issues?

I tried on the guest account and it has the same issue

It seemingly works, but when I try to navigate to a different web site it just decides to stop working.

I'm not sure if it's just my network as I haven't tried it anywhere else, if I get the chance I'll check that out.

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
Sounds to me like a network issue, either with your router, modem, or on your ISP's end. My bet is on the router.

The first thing to do would be to bring it to another location with wifi access and test it. If it is ok, you can rule out software and hardware AirPort/Logic Board issues.

If it doesn't do it in another location, consider either replacing your router or seeing if your ISP has issues on their end but a on again/off again sounds like router failure to me, personally. You could try going into your routers settings and doing a hard reset as well.

If it's still doing it, you could try a PRAM reset as well as going and deleting the Network Prefs:

Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration

Look for AirPort and Network prefs and drag them to the trash. It will ask for the admin password, BTW. Then restart and do a PRAM reset.

If that fails, you could try reinstalling OS X but at that time, I'd be thinking hardware, not software.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
It's been a few hours and it seems to have fixed itself. Really not sure what was going on, my big fear is that it was a hardware issue because I was moving my MBA around quite a bit yesterday. Will keep a close eye on it, thanks for your advice guys.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
It's been a few hours and it seems to have fixed itself. Really not sure what was going on, my big fear is that it was a hardware issue because I was moving my MBA around quite a bit yesterday. Will keep a close eye on it, thanks for your advice guys.

If it starts having issues again, please post an update. Best of luck:)

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Sounds to me like a network issue, either with your router, modem, or on your ISP's end. My bet is on the router.

I agree with this. It's been my experience that routers have a finite life, something like 3 or 4 years and then they die.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.