Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thephog37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
So I am trying to play "Command and Conquer Red Alert" on my Macbook. I have Crossover and was able to install the game, however, I need something called "Net 2.0" and that I need to use "Winetricks" to install it. The website I downloaded Red Alert from says the following:

Note: NET 2.0 is needed. You may want to use Winetricks to install it.
For Mac this is a bit harder, so if you're looking for easy way to do this, you may want to check CrossOver.

I downloaded some sort of "Net framework", but I have no idea how to administer/install it? I tried installing the software onto the Red Alert bottle I just created, but that did not seem to work? I may have explained that really bad, but any help would be appreciated. Here is a link to the website where I downloaded the game:

http://redalert1.com/#faq-compatibility

Lucion

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
I don't know how to use Crossover, but you can do it yourself using Wine, which I believe Crossover is based on.

Download Wineskin Winery 1.7 from http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

Run the Winery.
Select and install the latest engine (WS9Wine1.7.22)

Create New Blank Wrapper and rename it whatever you want
Run the new wrapper
Click on Advanced
Click on the Tools tab and Click the Winetricks button under Utilities
In the search bar, look for "net" and click the box next to "MS .NET 2.0"
This will add .Net 2.0 to your Windows install (it will download everything and set it up automatically)
Close that and reopen your wrapper.
Click "Install Software" and choose the Red Alert setup file.
This should install the software. Next time you run the wrapper you made it should automatically launch Red Alert.

You can go into the settings and change the icon and other things.

I hope that works for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.