Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Sorry if I'm a little all over the place with this...

So, I've been holding out longer than most. For a while it was just to avoid the hassle of getting everything backed up and set up the way I like. I was content feature wise, but so few apps are compatible now that I think I have to finally make the jump to something newer. I haven't kept up with the scene in years so I'm not even sure where to start. Which version would you guys suggest I go to for an iphone 4?

Like a lot of people I can't stand the flat look, lack of contrast and neon colors of ios 7. With enough tweaks I figure I might be able to look past that, but its hard to say having not used it for long other than a few mins at kiosks. I'd be willing to give it a shot, I'm just afraid of not being able to downgrade back.

How close can I get to the old look and feel on ios 7 and later by the way? How much will I be loosing? Is it mainly just the Google maps app? The built in youtube app I couldn't care less about, but I'm sure there are other smaller things right? I heard something about the autocorrect being more annoying? How so? Is that fixable?

I don't know everything that's changed over the years. What about the performance? For a while I was hearing the latest ios versions run slower than older firmwares on iphone 4, is this still the case? Or would I actually see a noticeable speed boost?

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Sorry if I'm a little all over the place with this...

So, I've been holding out longer than most. For a while it was just to avoid the hassle of getting everything backed up and set up the way I like. I was content feature wise, but so few apps are compatible now that I think I have to finally make the jump to something newer. I haven't kept up with the scene in years so I'm not even sure where to start. Which version would you guys suggest I go to for an iphone 4?

Like a lot of people I can't stand the flat look, lack of contrast and neon colors of ios 7. With enough tweaks I figure I might be able to look past that, but its hard to say having not used it for long other than a few mins at kiosks. I'd be willing to give it a shot, I'm just afraid of not being able to downgrade back.

How close can I get to the old look and feel by the way? How much will I be loosing? Is it mainly just the Google maps app? The built in youtube app I couldn't care less about, but I'm sure there are other smaller things right? I heard something about the autocorrect being more annoying? How so? Is that fixable?

I don't know everything that's changed over the years. What about the performance? For a while I was hearing the latest ios versions were slower on the iphone 4, is this still the case? Or would I actually see a noticeable speed boost?

download iFaith and dump your blobs. keep that in safe place, that will give you the chance to downgrade back to 5.1 (keep in mind that this is only possible because you have the iphone 4)

in terms of whether you should update to iOS 7 or not, i can't comment on that. There are several threads from the iOS 6 days when everyone was asking the same thing of whether they should update to iOS 7 or not

I think it would be safe to say that you won't be able to get iOS 7 100% the same as your iOS 5 setup

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I don't expect to get to 100%, but even say 85% might be good enough for me. Its mainly about the overall aesthetics for me anyway. Bringing back the skeuomorphic stuff, like the yellow notes and other textures. Unless there are a lot of other things I'm not caught up on, which is possible.

Yeah, I'm sure this has been asked a lot before, but I cant always be sure threads from years back are still relevant, you know?

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
I wish I kept 6.1.2 on my iP5. I just jumped to 7.1.2 and want to go back. I'm looking for Verizon iPhone 5's with 6.1.2...if you know anybody. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.