Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It seems to be gradually getting slower and slower. Is this because the internet keeps updating and my phone is becoming dated?

I just updated the Facebook app, now it's crashing every 5 minutes. Should I get the 5S?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Facebook is a monster of an app. Restore your phone as new, should help dramatically.

While 4S isn't the fastest it's not that bad and FB doesn't crash.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
It seems to be gradually getting slower and slower. Is this because the internet keeps updating and my phone is becoming dated?

I just updated the Facebook app, now it's crashing every 5 minutes. Should I get the 5S?

Phones are basically mini computers. They eventually get bogged down and it is recommended to hard reset them from time to time especially after a software update. Try it, it will feel brand new. I just set up a 4S for my mother in law and when fresh, it still flies through most tasks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Try the Paper app from Facebook in case it might work better for you in this particular case.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well yes you should get the iphone 5s. it is much better like

64 BIT and better camera m7 motion chip touch id better speed 4G LTE

AND A LOT MORE!

So get a iphone 5s

And you should sell the 4S before the 6 comes out

(IOS 8 is gonna kill iphone 4s) and 4s is gonna sound old.

So just sell iphone 4s and use the money to get a 5s.
Doesn't really seem like iOS 8 would kill iPhone 4S based on beta feedback.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

AND A LOT MORE!

So get a iphone 5s

What does "4s is gonna sound old" mean?

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
The Facebook app is a dog. It's got to be one of the worst written and buggiest pieces of software I've ever used. Crashes on my 5 all the time. It's just the software. My wife uses a 4 with the latest phone and it works just fine. I have heard that IOS 8 might not run on the 4, so at that time you might want to start looking at the newer phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well i just sold my iphone 4s and got a 5s 5s is atleast 10000x faster.

and beta dosn,t matter it cloud be slower or faster in the final build.
Sure, but it's still not going to "kill" it nevertheless. The whole exaggeration part of it ("kill" it and "10000x faster") along with "sounds old" part of it really doesn't play out in the real world, just hyperbole at best for the fun of it it seems.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
As a current 4S user, I say HOLD ON till the iPhone 6 comes out. It's only 2 or 3 months away at most, and it's going to be a massive jump. As awesome as the 5s is, it's not a gigantic upgrade from the 4S in my opinion. The taller 4" screen isn't a big step up, and they both share the same PPI. While the 5s camera is incredible and takes unbelievably fast burst shots, the 4S camera with iOS 7 is pretty damn quick too and the images are still pretty decent.

As for speed and apps, the 4S has become overall little slower with iOS 7, but nothing major to let me go and trade it for a 5s when the 6 is very close to come.

I haven't had an issue with the Facebook app, but I also haven't updated it in a long time. I suggest you do a full restore to your phone and clear out as much storage as you can.

The iPhone 6 is getting closer to being revealed, and I'll hopefully get one by DAY ONE. :D

jjfad

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
Is my 4S going to be practically unusable soon as sites/apps get updated?

I recently made the switch from Android. I started low tech and worked my way up. I thought the iPhone 4 was unusable either on iOS 6 or 7. iPhone 4S was usable on either and was a much better experience. I ditched it because the battery was just terrible. Two weeks ago I got the iPhone 5C and it is a pretty great experience, and the battery is great too.

I have never had a great experience with any FB app. Buggy as heck on Android. Slowed my iPhone 4/4S to be as slow as molasses, and killed the battery. I didn't even bother installing on my iPhone 5C. Now I just use the browser version.

In any case, iPhone 4S on iOS 7 should be fine. A lot of apps are optimized for iOS 7 (and others will not run on iOS 6 or below, unless you can somehow obtain an older version of the app). So probably once iOS 8 is in full swing, we can use iOS 7 for another 1-2 years and then will be forced to continue along the upgrade hamster wheel...

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
As a current 4S user, I say HOLD ON till the iPhone 6 comes out. It's only 2 or 3 months away at most, and it's going to be a massive jump. As awesome as the 5s is, it's not a gigantic upgrade from the 4S in my opinion. The taller 4" screen isn't a big step up, and they both share the same PPI. While the 5s camera is incredible and takes unbelievably fast burst shots, the 4S camera with iOS 7 is pretty damn quick too and the images are still pretty decent.

As for speed and apps, the 4S has become overall little slower with iOS 7, but nothing major to let me go and trade it for a 5s when the 6 is very close to come.

I haven't had an issue with the Facebook app, but I also haven't updated it in a long time. I suggest you do a full restore to your phone and clear out as much storage as you can.

The iPhone 6 is getting closer to being revealed, and I'll hopefully get one by DAY ONE. :D

Only problem is I'm thinking I might not want anything bigger than the 5S....I like how the 4S fits in my hand, especially for typing/texting and for that reason I am hesitant to even switch to the 5S, that added length makes it harder to reach the top. I just hate how heavy and thick the 4S is.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Only problem is I'm thinking I might not want anything bigger than the 5S....I like how the 4S fits in my hand, especially for typing/texting and for that reason I am hesitant to even switch to the 5S, that added length makes it harder to reach the top. I just hate how heavy and thick the 4S is.

This is very true. Whenever I hold other big phones, I just love how easy to grip the 4S is, and completely use it in one hand. But then again, when I hold other big phones, I just hate how small the screen really is compared to these new phones. I never enjoy watching a video on the 4S, or play some shooter games. Yes, the iPad is meant to be that entertainment device, but I don't always have the iPad with me.

As for the 5 and 5s added length, it's a small change. My family all have iPhone 5 and 5s now (yes I'm the only one with the 4s now :p), and one-handed usability is still super easy.

Of course this all depends on preference and your hand. I have fairly large hands, and I want to use my phone to do everything from watching videos and playing games but I don't want Android or WindowsPhone, so that's why I want a big iPhone.

If you want a small iPhone that's easy to grip and used one-handed without issues, then the 5s will be your best option.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
This is very true. Whenever I hold other big phones, I just love how easy to grip the 4S is, and completely use it in one hand. But then again, when I hold other big phones, I just hate how small the screen really is compared to these new phones. I never enjoy watching a video on the 4S, or play some shooter games. Yes, the iPad is meant to be that entertainment device, but I don't always have the iPad with me.

As for the 5 and 5s added length, it's a small change. My family all have iPhone 5 and 5s now (yes I'm the only one with the 4s now :p), and one-handed usability is still super easy.

Of course this all depends on preference and your hand. I have fairly large hands, and I want to use my phone to do everything from watching videos and playing games but I don't want Android or WindowsPhone, so that's why I want a big iPhone.

If you want a small iPhone that's easy to grip and used one-handed without issues, then the 5s will be your best option.

I have average sized hands and I find it somewhat hard to reach the top on 5S.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
The Facebook app is a dog. It's got to be one of the worst written and buggiest pieces of software I've ever used. Crashes on my 5 all the time. It's just the software. My wife uses a 4 with the latest phone and it works just fine. I have heard that IOS 8 might not run on the 4, so at that time you might want to start looking at the newer phone.
It won't run on the iPhone 4 but it'll run on the 4s (probably tremendously slow).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It won't run on the iPhone 4 but it'll run on the 4s (probably tremendously slow).
Apple is just not releasing iOS 8 for the 4. It seems to be fine on the 4S as it actually has a dual core processor. It's not as good as it would be on 5 or later, but doesn't seem bad either.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Apple is just not releasing iOS 8 for the 4. It seems to be fine on the 4S as it actually has a dual core processor. It's not as good as it would be on 5 or later, but doesn't seem bad either.
I know. That's why I said it won't run on the 4.... chances are it'll probably be extremely slow on the 4s the more upgrades iOS 8 gets.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I know. That's why I said it won't run on the 4.... chances are it'll probably be extremely slow on the 4s the more upgrades iOS 8 gets.
It's going to be slower than on the 5 and newer devices but not likely to be extremely slow. Heck even the 4 isn't extremely slow on 7.1 these days.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Really? I haven't had an iPhone 4 since 2012 so I only know on what people have told me.
It was quite slow on 7.0 but got better with 7.1--certainly still on the slow side compared to any of the phones that follow it, but still better than before and not extremely slow.

rpungello

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011

AND A LOT MORE!

So get a iphone 5s

Are you 12?

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012

AND A LOT MORE!

So get a iphone 5s

I could have sworn there was a minimum age limit for MacRumors.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
To just suggest get a 5s is ludacris! Not all can justify just buying the latest device! The 4s should be fine albeit a little slower. Worst case you hold out till upgrade time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.