Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I want a app that automatically updated location and that's pretty a curse, the stock TouchWiz app and HTC sense app is pretty accurate but the third party app doesn't do that. I use 1weather AccuWeather and yahoo weather.

Please advise.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I tried a few and settled on 1Weather, mainly because it has a nice widget that is reasonably configurable to fit your homescreens. The actual app is easy to use and offers plenty of info should you need it. It has a "follow my location" option in it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I use the weather widget from Beautiful Widgets. Very customizable and you can set the update refresh interval to whatever you want. Also has plenty of downloadable themes. Gets info from Accuweather.

Attachments

• 2014-07-17 18.00.06.png
    2014-07-17 18.00.06.png
    492.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 2014-07-17 18.00.51.png
    2014-07-17 18.00.51.png
    958.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 2014-07-17 18.01.16.png
    2014-07-17 18.01.16.png
    333.6 KB · Views: 125

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
True, but what the other weather apps typically get you is live radar, 24 hour forecast as well as 5-10 forecasts.

Google gives you the same kind of information. It gives you a five day forecast, chance of rain, humidity, all that stuff. You can ask it what the weather will be like on a certain day too.

Granted you don't get a map like on TV news from Google but I don't see the need when the data is provided to you anyway. You don't need to look at a map to see whether or not clouds will cover your area when Google already says "cloudy, 60% chance of rain."

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Google gives you the same kind of information. It gives you a five day forecast, chance of rain, humidity, all that stuff. You can ask it what the weather will be like on a certain day too.

Granted you don't get a map like on TV news from Google but I don't see the need when the data is provided to you anyway. You don't need to look at a map to see whether or not clouds will cover your area when Google already says "cloudy, 60% chance of rain."

I can't stand talking into devices, whether it's Google Search, Siri or gaming devices. That's why I use apps instead.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I can't stand talking into devices, whether it's Google Search, Siri or gaming devices. That's why I use apps instead.

You can just type "weather" or a specific question like "what will the weather be like tomorrow?" into Google and it'll give you the same information. No need to speak if you don't want to.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You can just type "weather" or a specific question like "what will the weather be like tomorrow?" into Google and it'll give you the same information. No need to speak if you don't want to.

Why type weather when I can launch the yahoo weather app with one touch?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Why type weather when I can launch the yahoo weather app with one touch?

Holding down your home button, typing "w", then tapping the "weather" suggestion what comes up isn't difficult.

Or if you don't mind Google tracking you 24/7 you can turn on Google Now and have the weather show up right there in the Google app, adjusted to your current location.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
No need for a weather app for me anyway, Google Now works just fine and I am not one of these people who obsess over the weather

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I tried a few and settled on 1Weather, mainly because it has a nice widget that is reasonably configurable to fit your homescreens. The actual app is easy to use and offers plenty of info should you need it. It has a "follow my location" option in it.

I've settled on 1Weather for now as well. It's the only weather app I have found that has a widget that provides all of the information that I need at a glance and radar imagery. The widget I use also allows me to tap on it to display the hourly, short term and long term forecast. I usually set it to show the long term forcast and just need to unlock my phone to see the info I need.

I really like Yahoo Weather

I used this for a while. It is the best looking weather app I have used. No other app has made me want to check out the weather in cities around the world more than this. There are some functional differences between the iOS and Android versions. The Android version doesn't have a video of the radar imagery which is what I look for. It only shows the current radar imagery. The iOS version shows a video of the changing radar imagery over the past hour or so. 1Weather provides this feature for me on Android.

True, but what the other weather apps typically get you is live radar, 24 hour forecast as well as 5-10 forecasts.

1Weather does this and give you a video of the radar imagery for the past hour or so. I use this feature a lot as I can see if looks like rain it is moving my way or leaving the area.

It's much slower compared to the 1Weather widget. I unlock my phone and the widget is there on my home screen with the current conditions and summary 5-day forecast. A tap on the widget I can change the display to the short term forecast or hourly forecast. If I want some more detail then I would open the app by tapping on the widget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.