Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FireOnAWire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
I recently bought a Macbook Pro 15" Retina (late 2013).
It's the base model (Intel Iris Pro) and my first mac.

Now the issue I'm having is the machine starts overheating while watching Youtube on Chrome/Firefox when the screen resolution is 1920x1200 (scaled-more space).
Watching a HD video on Youtube results in temperatures in excess of 90ºC and raises the fan speed to around 5000rpm.

1680x1050 raises the temps to around 75ºC which kicks the fans up to a barely audiable level.

1440x900 is perfectly fine. No issues to report.

What's interesting is that watching the same video with Safari produces no such issues...
Temperatures don't go over 52ºC and fans run at stock/2000rpm speed.

So what is Safari doing differently?

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I recently bought a Macbook Pro 15" Retina (late 2013).
It's the base model (Intel Iris Pro) and my first mac.

Now the issue I'm having is the machine starts overheating while watching Youtube on Chrome/Firefox when the screen resolution is 1920x1200 (scaled-more space).
Watching a HD video on Youtube results in temperatures in excess of 90ºC and raises the fan speed to around 5000rpm.

1680x1050 raises the temps to around 75ºC which kicks the fans up to a barely audiable level.

1440x900 is perfectly fine. No issues to report.

What's interesting is that watching the same video with Safari produces no such issues...
Temperatures don't go over 52ºC and fans run at stock/2000rpm speed.

So what is Safari doing differently?

Using a scaled resolution can affect performance.
As you saw, Safari is the best browser for OS X so I recommend using it.

FireOnAWire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
Using a scaled resolution can affect performance.
As you saw, Safari is the best browser for OS X so I recommend using it.

I just wish I knew what the cause was.
Chrome is my go to browser and switching is a massive unnecessary head ache.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I just wish I knew what the cause was.

I feel your frustration. I was completely Chrome based due in large to having to work all day on a Windows machine (Safari for Windows is terrible), but using Chrome on my rMBP makes that machine HOT especially when watching YouTube videos.

Someone with a better understanding of flash can explain why but flash is the culprit.

I have had to pretty much accept that Safari is what I need to use when using my rMBP. I would have to say it is the one frustrating thing about my Mac. It isn't a deal breaker to me since everything else is superior to Windows in my opinion.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
You're basically suffering from two badly built pieces of software here.

First we have Flash, a browser plug-in which has never been any good outside of Windows despite Jobs kept trying to get it's developer, Adobe, to get their act together. Eventually Jobs got so tied of trying to get Adobe to fix the OSX version (it's a closed standard so only Adobe can go in and fix things) he made Apple put it's weight behind HTML5, an open standard (so Apple can go in and fix broken things rather than complain to Adobe and watch them do nothing) which has begun to take over.

The second problem here is Chrome, which outside of Windows and Google's own ChromeOS is not that particularly well put together. Not only does it eat trough memory more than it should, it also taxes your CPU and eats trough your battery much faster than it should.

I eventually got so tired of Flash I've set Youtube to use the HTML5 version whenever possible, installed adblock (which blocks all those pesky Flash based ads) and switched from Chrome back to Opera.

FireOnAWire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
I feel your frustration. I was completely Chrome based due in large to having to work all day on a Windows machine (Safari for Windows is terrible), but using Chrome on my rMBP makes that machine HOT especially when watching YouTube videos.

Someone with a better understanding of flash can explain why but flash is the culprit.

I have had to pretty much accept that Safari is what I need to use when using my rMBP. I would have to say it is the one frustrating thing about my Mac. It isn't a deal breaker to me since everything else is superior to Windows in my opinion.

You're basically suffering from two badly built pieces of software here.

First we have Flash, a browser plug-in which has never been any good outside of Windows despite Jobs kept trying to get it's developer, Adobe, to get their act together. Eventually Jobs got so tied of trying to get Adobe to fix the OSX version (it's a closed standard so only Adobe can go in and fix things) he made Apple put it's weight behind HTML5, an open standard (so Apple can go in and fix broken things rather than complain to Adobe and watch them do nothing) which has begun to take over.

The second problem here is Chrome, which outside of Windows and Google's own ChromeOS is not that particularly well put together. Not only does it eat trough memory more than it should, it also taxes your CPU and eats trough your battery much faster than it should.

I eventually got so tired of Flash I've set Youtube to use the HTML5 version whenever possible, installed adblock (which blocks all those pesky Flash based ads) and switched from Chrome back to Opera.

Yeah I thought it might be flash based issues.
Although I didn't realise flash was such a cpu hog. That must also be the reason I was only getting around 5 hrs battery life.

There seems to be a decent amount of extensions on Safari so I could use it.
Is there a good bookmarks manager out there?
On Chrome I used Neat Bookmarks to essentially easily access the last thing I bookmarked. The Safari bookmarks sidebar always opens at the top of the list so I'm always having to scroll back down.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013

I've been engaging in the browser war for a while but always come back to Chrome because of its syncing/integration with my GMail account between OS X and Windows. I'd dump it for Safari in OS X in a heartbeat if Apple would open up its APIs more to allow Adblock Plus to block Flash ads. It works fine with YouTube, but other sites still allow ads.

I've also learned to live without fullscreen/HD video on YT as that's what really causes my MBP to heat up significantly regardless of whether HTML5 or Flash is used.

Firefox has been steadily going down the toilet ever since version 25. Opera continues to have issues with the Mac's automatic graphic switching in that many more websites cause Opera to trigger the discreet GPU than any other browser. This won't be a problem in your case because your Mac only has integrated graphics.

In the end, Chrome does everything I need. There are sacrifices, which I simply have learned to live with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.