Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:03 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

GarageBand 3: In depth

Category: Reviews
Link: GarageBand 3: In depth
Description:: An in-depth look at GarageBand 3's new features.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 05:04 PM   #2
heaven
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to heaven
It gets better and better with every release! Good job Apple!
heaven is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:34 PM   #3
nagromme
macrumors G4

GB is the single best app in iLife, in my book. Worth 3 x the price of iLife all by itself. I'm a non-musician and it got me to buy a music keyboard. Everyone has fun with GB right away--it's just a pleasure to use, and the simplicity hides a LOT of power if you need it.

"When you drag a previewed project into GarageBand, it adds it as a separate track. You can then edit the track as if it were a real instrument, or click "Open Original" to modify the original project file (saving it then automatically updates the imported audio in the other project)."

Nested auto-updating projects? Neat!

"To compact a project, select the "Compact Project" checkbox in the Save dialogue"

I can see how that could affect the quality of playback of locked tracks, but I wonder, if you export a final mix, does it go back and re-process the locked tracks at full quality?

"automatic lowering of background music volume when someone starts speaking."

Very nice. I can see why this would be a good podcast tool.

"GarageBand's new video scoring capabilities. Simply drag a video to the new Video Track"

Hey! That's the very thing Soundtrack was designed for, before it become something else!

Now GarageBand has become Soundtrack and Sountrack has become a digital audio editor

"the performance boost is noticeable"

What's with new versions of Apple apps and OS getting faster? Don't they know software is supposed to get SLOWER as you add features?
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:32 PM   #4
DrNeroCF
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
...What's with new versions of Apple apps and OS getting faster? Don't they know software is supposed to get SLOWER as you add features?
*Gives Apple earmuffs* SHHHH!!! They don't know yet!

My friend just got a g5 iMac (he couldn't wait to use FCP) and the first thing he told me about it was how much GarageBand rocked. I should let him know a new version's out...
DrNeroCF is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:37 PM   #5
buryyourbrideau
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to buryyourbrideau
I cant wait to mess around with it when my MacBook comes.

I loved the old garageband before it got deleted on my iBook

buryyourbrideau is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:49 PM   #6
sjk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
GB is the single best app in iLife, in my book. Worth 3 x the price of iLife all by itself. I'm a non-musician and it got me to buy a music keyboard.
Which keyboard did you buy? I'm considering the M-Audio Keystation 49e or O2 Mobile. The O2 only has 25 keys and I'm not sure how much that would matter for the kind of GB tinkering I'd do with it; the smaller size would be convenient.
sjk is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:00 PM   #7
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk
Which keyboard did you buy? I'm considering the M-Audio Keystation 49e or O2 Mobile. The O2 only has 25 keys and I'm not sure how much that would matter for the kind of GB tinkering I'd do with it; the smaller size would be convenient.
I went through the same dilemma between those exact models, for that exact reason. The clincher was that the knobs on the O2 didn't sound that useful (to me, in GarageBand) when I investigated how they worked in actual practice.

I got the 49e and I'm glad I did. I thought I had no need for that many keys, but some things and some instruments call for much higher or lower notes, and being able to do them all with no octave-switching tricks is very nice. I can highly recommend the 49e for casual music use.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2006, 01:41 PM   #8
sjk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I went through the same dilemma between those exact models, for that exact reason.

Quote:
The clincher was that the knobs on the O2 didn't sound that useful (to me, in GarageBand) when I investigated how they worked in actual practice.
Ahh. That's something I needed to know before purchasing and will trust the results of your investigation.

Quote:
I got the 49e and I'm glad I did. I thought I had no need for that many keys, but some things and some instruments call for much higher or lower notes, and being able to do them all with no octave-switching tricks is very nice.
I was wondering about those octave-switching tricks on the O2 so your preference in favor of the 49e is helpful.

Quote:
I can highly recommend the 49e for casual music use.
Great. I had a bit of hands-on experience with it at the Apple store last year and thought it would be fine for my GB use. Thanks for clearing up the couple "technical" points of comparison that were holding me back from making a final decision. After finishing reading Pogue's GB2 Missing Manual book last month, which was quite inspiring and very useful for getting more familiar with the app, I've been eager to get a keyboard.
sjk is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion