Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ichkamo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
World Wide Web
Hi everyone,
I really don't know if I should upgrade to mavericks...
I believe it's way more beautiful than mountain lion, because I hate the brushed metal and leather everywhere. But, by doing this I may lose a lot a apps that aren't compatible with this OSX...
The problem is that OSX 10.10 Yosemite is coming out this fall, and I believe that THIS is going to be the worst thing that happens to Apple since IOS7!!!
So I've got to make my choice before it comes out!
Finally, I either upgrade to Mavericks NOW, or I'll never do updates (with apple) again.
Any user experience with Mavericks, suggestions or comments appreciated.
Thank you. :apple:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
What apps do you use that aren't compatible? I don't know of any that work with 10.8 but not 10.9.

Anyway, I'd definitely upgrade. It's a lot smoother and has a lot of great features, like the memory compression and multi-monitor support. You have nothing to lose - if you really hate it, it is possible to roll back to ML with a backup and creating a USB installer.

fessen

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
Not really sure how well Mountain Lion works.
But I can tell you that if there were an easy way to go back to Snow Leopard from Mavericks, I wouldn't hesitate.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
First experience with OS X was with mountain lion

Upgraded to Mavericks about a week after it came up and have had 0 issues. For me on a day to day basis I haven't noticed any major differences.

Can you provide some or all of the apps that aren't compatible? I'm just curious because everything I use has updated to Mavericks and did so rather quickly.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Hi everyone,
I really don't know if I should upgrade to mavericks...
I believe it's way more beautiful than mountain lion, because I hate the brushed metal and leather everywhere. But, by doing this I may lose a lot a apps that aren't compatible with this OSX...
The problem is that OSX 10.10 Yosemite is coming out this fall, and I believe that THIS is going to be the worst thing that happens to Apple since IOS7!!!
So I've got to make my choice before it comes out!
Finally, I either upgrade to Mavericks NOW, or I'll never do updates (with apple) again.
Any user experience with Mavericks, suggestions or comments appreciated.
Thank you. :apple:

The worst thing?

Really?

Ichkamo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
World Wide Web
What apps do you use that aren't compatible? I don't know of any that work with 10.8 but not 10.9.

Anyway, I'd definitely upgrade. It's a lot smoother and has a lot of great features, like the memory compression and multi-monitor support. You have nothing to lose - if you really hate it, it is possible to roll back to ML with a backup and creating a USB installer.

First experience with OS X was with mountain lion

Upgraded to Mavericks about a week after it came up and have had 0 issues. For me on a day to day basis I haven't noticed any major differences.

Can you provide some or all of the apps that aren't compatible? I'm just curious because everything I use has updated to Mavericks and did so rather quickly.

I use parallels desktops 7, on their website, they tell you that with Mavericks you have to use parallels 9 and this upgrade isn't free... :(

----------

The worst thing?

Really?

Oh My GOD! Didn't you see ->it<- ???
https://www.apple.com/osx/preview/design/
This is awfull!!! It looks like IOS7!!! It's not OSX anymore!! It's IOS for mac!!!

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I use parallels desktops 7, on their website, they tell you that with Mavericks you have to use parallels 9 and this upgrade isn't free... :(

----------

Oh My GOD! Didn't you see ->it<- ???
https://www.apple.com/osx/preview/design/
This is awfull!!! It looks like IOS7!!! It's not OSX anymore!! It's IOS for mac!!!

I have seen it, and it's still OS X to me. OS X to me is more than icons or a dock, it's a certain coherence throughout the entire OS. 10.10 continues to have that. It continues to work the exact same as it did before, differently than iOS does. I'm using OS X Yosemite DP3 right now to type out this post.

Safari 8 to be even more exact.

If they started to say "us iOS apps" or limited you to full screen or made it to where you could only buy from the store? Then I'd completely agree with you that iOS is creeping. But it has none of that. It has bright colors and round icons. iOS 7 has bright colors and square icons. They also both have transparencies and similar animations. That's it.

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home

Switch to Virtualbox. At work, I was stuck on 10.6 because of incompatibilities with VMware. Since IT refused to upgrade the VMware license, I simply switched to Virtualbox, which is free, and upgraded to 10.9. I'm glad I did it.

Ichkamo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
World Wide Web
That's it, I finally did it! After making a few changes like getting back iTunes 10 and changing back the dock to snow leopard like, it's quite good actually :)

BTW, the things I said about 10.10 Yosemite and IOS7, only concern me (and some other purists) don't take it too seriously it's only my point of view. :apple:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Mavericks is a huge performance improvement over Mountain Lion for me. Upgrade.

As far as the Yosemite thing goes, it looks fine to me.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Mavericks is a huge performance improvement over Mountain Lion for me. Upgrade.

As far as the Yosemite thing goes, it looks fine to me.

I just upgradedmy daughter MacBook and the time machine back up after took a long time for only 18GB.

Now did you do an upgrade or a clean install?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I skipped Lion and Mountain Lion because of the skeuomorphism, but now I'm running Mavericks it's the best OS since Snow Leopard.

It has just enough from Snow Leopard where you can still control how you save and place your files and just enough of Lion where you have multiple desktops and full control. You can even return the Dashboard to being a place rather than a space, but that wont be needed with the new notification centre in Yosemite with widgets.

The notification centre is really nice, just one swipe and I can see all my mail and to do lists. Then there is Airplay which means I can use mirroring from my MacBook and not just my iPhone, or with Airserver I can mirror from my iPhone to my MacBook and watch catchup TV. The only thing that is a drawback is still Launchpad :rolleyes: but then, Launchpad can be easily ignored.

With proper control of spaces I now run 3 spaces in Mavericks with a Windows 7 VM, and a full screen terminal, I could not do that on Snow Leopard just by dragging my mouse to the VM I want to be on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.