Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangeillini14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
I'll be in Seattle next week and and plan on taking a lot of photos. Anyone have experience photographing there?

I'll be looking to get some shots of Mt. Rainier, the Seattle skyline, and Pike's Place Market of course. Any tips on getting those shots? Or any suggestions on other spots in the area?

I'm bringing my Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 28-135mm, and 40mm 2.8. I'm a little short on focal distance, but my dad is bringing his 100-400 so I can use that if necessary.

Looking for any advice at all, haven't been out to Seattle before. Thanks in advance!

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
The coat I linked to was one of the first ones to pop up at B&H.

But after looking at it, I'm going to buy one (Hilo has more rain than Seattle . . . it's been raining steadily for 3 days now). I have a Kata one that works but is hard to use (not sure why . . . maybe it's me). This drape-it-all style might be better.

OP -- I hope you didn't take offense. I know lots of Seattle people and they complain about the rain endlessly (and for good reason, it seems).

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have been to Seattle several times, and it's really a beautiful city. Yes, it frequently rains there, but don't let that get in the way. As for recommended spots to photograph the skyline:

1. Alki Beach
2. Kerry Park (VERY popular amongst tourists and photographers)
3. Jose Rizal Bridge (I think this is the best spot to photograph the city from since you get the Olympic mountains in the background, as long as it's clear out)
4. Pier 66 (also a great spot to photograph the skyline from)

Definitely visit Mt. Rainier, it's an easy 2+ hour drive from Seattle as long as you have a rental car. Just check the weather before you go because it can be colder out there, especially at higher elevations.

-Nick

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'll be in Seattle next week and and plan on taking a lot of photos. Anyone have experience photographing there?

I'll be looking to get some shots of Mt. Rainier, the Seattle skyline, and Pike's Place Market of course. Any tips on getting those shots? Or any suggestions on other spots in the area?

I'm bringing my Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 28-135mm, and 40mm 2.8. I'm a little short on focal distance, but my dad is bringing his 100-400 so I can use that if necessary.

Looking for any advice at all, haven't been out to Seattle before. Thanks in advance!

The 40mm f/2.8 is an ideal lens. Bring the 15-85 in case you need to go wider than 40mm. Leave the others at home. Typical weather there makes a long lens hard to use. All you get a blur and gray because of the moisture in the air.

Tips: (1) get closer then take another step. (2) ask people and talk to them a little before you include them in a photo. Offer to send them a photo.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I prefer the Fotosharp rain covers to the others I've owned. If you have the time and a car, the ferry ride and drive to the Hoh rainforest is wonderful, and the images you'll get there are great. Once out on the peninsula, you'll be in the rain shadow of the Olympic Range if the weather sucks elsewhere. However, July normally isn't bad in Washington State.

Paul

FWRLCK

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
It's July. We won't have significant rain here (Seattle) until mid-October.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out before buying the other one. It's been raining here steadily since Sunday, with no end in sight.

They've always offered a "try it first" policy where they ship you the cover, you try it and then send them payment if you like it or send it back if you don't. My current cover is one of the ACU ones.

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.